Problem with numerous issues

Help improve BRPG and BGE by reporting any bugs you encounter.
sircucumber
Cannon Fodder

Problem with numerous issues

Post by sircucumber » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:39 pm

First, let me state that I think battlegrounds is a very impressive program. I have tried about a dozen programs now and Battlegrounds has gone above and beyond them all, both in its user friendliness and its beautiful game play.

Both machines which I am testing on are running the demo version of Battlegrounds. I would love to purchase the GM version with a floating license, however I want to make sure that I can bring Battlegrounds to near non-buggy state before I do.

Before I list the issues, I will say that I have found a work around for nearly all them which is this:

I have to reload an encounter 2x for it to appear correctly on the client side. Between encounters both the client and the host need to exit battlegrounds and restart the program. The second thing I need to do is turn of Fog of War, this elimates many Player Director Errors.

So, there is my workaround, nothing to difficult but it will be worse once I start adding more players. With that said here are the issues that are arising:

I am unable to connect to a live IP address. I have forwarded port 1626 to the machine which is hosting the game but people cannot connect. Hosting over my LAN has no connection issues.

When I first load an encounter, the client machine pops up a box which says Director Player Error - Object expected. Script Error. Continue? That happens 2x and then the map will load, however the grid is not aligned on the client nor is the Fog of War.

Once the map loads on the client the host receives this error:

Director Player Error - Index Out of Range. Script Error. Continue?

Once I hit continue, the client receives this error:

Director Player Error - Property not found. #mySprite. Script Error. Continue?

This same error occurs when attempting to make any changes to units.

All of these errors are eliminated by turning of Fog of War and reloading the encounter a second time.

I hope this gives a relatively clear picture of what is going on but it is annoying to say the least, I am just glad that I have found a decent work around for now, however I need to be able to have people dial in before I can actually run a game.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:06 pm

Welcome, sircucumber.

Before I am able to answer more fully, I need some important info from you:

1) What version of BRPG are you using?

2) What OS are you hosting on?

3) Is the host on a wireless connection?
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

sircucumber
Cannon Fodder

Update on bug issues

Post by sircucumber » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:37 am

Here is a response to your questions as well as an update.

1.) I am running v1.3e (the current demo version under the download section)

2. I am using XP Pro hard wired directly to my modem on the host machine.

Update:

1. I can now connect from outside my network, turns out it was a bad modem and I spoke to my ISP and am getting a new one.

2. Apart from the issues I have with the Fog of War feature (I can take screen shots if you like) everything is running pretty smoothly so long as I load the encounter two times. With Fog of War on I receive the errors listed in my first post.

Thanks

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:09 am

I'm glad you got the modem thing sorted out.

I recommend that you and your players update to BRPG v1.4i. It fixes many bugs and adds new features. Don't be afraid of the "beta" label currently assigned to it. It's actually far more stable and mature than the "official" release. In fact, if nothing major is found to be wrong with it soon, I am going to take v1.4i out of beta status and make it the new official release.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

sircucumber
Cannon Fodder

Thanks!

Post by sircucumber » Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:11 am

Thanks for the quick responses, I will definitely upgrade to 1.4 and hopefully that will resolve any issues.

I appreciate your help.