'Already in use' error on reconnect

Help improve BRPG and BGE by reporting any bugs you encounter.
Nom
Sergeant

'Already in use' error on reconnect

Post by Nom » Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:46 pm

Whenever a client leaves the DM program non-cleanly (we very rarely leave cleanly unless we're quitting the DM end), players can't get back in. The error is that the user asset (either user name or license key, can't remember which at the moment, sorry) is already in use.

That it's already in use makes sense, since there's still stale data from the old user. However, I believe the correct behaviour should be to turf the old login in favour of the new, rather than prevent new logins.

The only situation I can see where favouring an old login over a new would make sense is if there was a hostile denial of service attack (from a client with the same key as the legit user's client), which isn't a likely scenario, I assume.

Back in 1.2, it used to accept re-login, though sometimes resulted in two entries for the player. Sometime recently it changed to simply bump the client.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:46 am

How are the clients leaving non-cleanly? By quitting without logging off first? Or are they crashing out for some reason? If it's not in there already, I'll make it send a disconnect message right after the quit process is confirmed.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Kazander
General

Post by Kazander » Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:35 pm

If it's like me, players are just getting 'booted' for no apparent reason. My GM client tells me that the client has disconnected, but they are unaware that they've been disconnected.

The really strange thing is that sometimes they can still use the Chat window while 'disconnected' and messages still come through to the GM client. Dice rolls or changes to the map (figure movement, etc) never do though.

This player client disconnect happens 3-4 times per evening of play with my group, and I've been unable to determine the exact cause, other than it doesn't appear to be general internet connectivity--because we don't lose connection via MSN messenger, or Teamspeak. Just BRPG.

I first mentioned it in the 'player client disconnect' thread here:
http://battlegroundsgames.com/forums/vi ... 6196#16196

Because of the license-in-use message though, it's quite annoying. I often end up disconnecting everyone and having them signing back in again. Having the disconnected client change his sign-in name doesn't allow him to sign back in, and the timeout period (if there is one) that resets his connection is much too long.

severin
Captain

Post by severin » Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:27 pm

I have seen this error as well. The client is disconnected but does not realize it. The client is still happily moving things on their map. When they finally realize they are disconnected and they try to reconnect, they receive a license in use error message.

Nom
Sergeant

Post by Nom » Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:58 pm

heruca wrote:How are the clients leaving non-cleanly? By quitting without logging off first? Or are they crashing out for some reason? If it's not in there already, I'll make it send a disconnect message right after the quit process is confirmed.
Situations where the problem occurs include:

* voluntary quit
* manual quit after script error
* manual quit after loading error
* force-quit app
* computer crash

Basically, I believe the behaviour of "there's a license already, you can't come in" should be replaced with "there's a license already, I'll kick them out so you can come it". Stale logins aren't a big problem if the system can correctly recover from them. Currently, the only way we know of to flush stale logins is to quit the DM client.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:05 pm

The "voluntary quit" case has just been addressed in v1.4e.

The other cases will be addressed in v1.5. The reason being that I am trying to get the v1.4 series to "official release" status ASAP, and I didn't want to risk breaking anything at this stage (especially something as critical as connection status and license use).
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Nom
Sergeant

Post by Nom » Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:47 am

Seems to be fixed for "voluntary quit" in 1.4e. One player wasn't synced up very well, so he quit and rejoined and it all worked OK. Thanks.

nightwalker450
General

Post by nightwalker450 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:47 pm

heruca wrote:The "voluntary quit" case has just been addressed in v1.4e.

The other cases will be addressed in v1.5. The reason being that I am trying to get the v1.4 series to "official release" status ASAP, and I didn't want to risk breaking anything at this stage (especially something as critical as connection status and license use).
Fixed, but leaving for the v1.5 reminders.

Farland
High Commander

Post by Farland » Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:46 pm

I have gotten this bug as recently as 1.4h, so yeah, please fix soon.
The World of Farland: www.farlandworld.com

The best PbP site on the net: www.myth-weavers.com