Error loading Encounters with Artpack content

Help improve BRPG and BGE by reporting any bugs you encounter.
Surge
Soldier

Error loading Encounters with Artpack content

Post by Surge » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:19 pm

Hi.

I am looking into virtual tabletops for me and my group of friends to play D&D 4th Edition over the internet with each other so we can play more often than if we were just face to face.

I have been playing around with an unliscensed copy of 1.3e, and have downloaded the 2 free Adventure Modules that are available on your website. I realise that they are not to be used with unliscensed copies as there are too many units in each encounter, however I thought I would have a look anyway.

I was able to load up the Kenby Area encounter a couple of days ago I believe without any problem (on second thoughts the same error may have come up even then).

But now when I try to load it up, along with any encounter from the two Artpacks (from the 2 free adventures "The Quick and the Dead", and "Simple Plan"), I always get the same error, and the map remains as a black background and the cursor remains on the 'Processor busy' icon.

I have deleted the entire BRPGv1_3eWin directory and extracted the .zip contents into a new directory, several times, but this does not help the situation.

Here is a screen of the error I get:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/fiftytwo/BGRPG-error.GIF

If you could help me out, I would be extremely pleased. I really really want to learn how to use this program. Especially when I see the commitment that is put into it from the Lead developer.

I read on the forums that someone mentioned customer loyalty and product loyalty. - Hear hear to that!!

P.S. One last thing I would like to mention, a new manual is so so desperately needed. It would allow so many more people to actually learn how to use this program to its full potential - The existing one is so outdated, it doesn't even touch on some of the functionality and workings.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:30 pm

Welcome, Surge.

I just tested this to see if I could duplicate it, and I couldn't. I disabled my license, installed the adventure artpack and Encounters, launched v1.3f (I realize you are using v1.3e, but I don't think anything relevant has changed), and loaded both the Kenby Encounter and the Dungeon Level 1 Encounter. Both loaded up just fine (although only the first 12 units loaded on the Dungeon; Kenby was unaffected since it doesn't have over 12 units).

A few things I would try:
1) Only enable one adventure artpack at a time, just to be sure that's not causing some kind of conflict.
2) Make sure you are set to a square grid prior to loading the Encounter.
3) Download v1.3f and see if that makes the problem go away.

BTW, this forum lets you upload pics directly, so you don't have to bother uploading pics to your own webspace in the future.

As for the User Manual, I agree that it's badly outdated and doesn't begin to cover all the features that have been added since v1.0. The good news is that I will begin updating it later this month, right after Christmas. I hope to have it finished and posted sometime in the second half of January 2009.
Attachments
First 12 Units in Demo Mode.jpg
First 12 Units in Demo Mode.jpg (153.66 KiB) Viewed 1831 times
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Surge
Soldier

Post by Surge » Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:47 pm

Hi heruca.

Thanks for the quick response.

1) I tried it with only one artpack at a time, but that didn't help.
2) I made sure the grid was set to a square gred before loading, but that didn't help.
3) I am in the process of downloading 1.3f to check.

The good news is that I have managed to get it to work now without any errors, and am able to reproduce the error.

It loads correctly if I use the hotkey [E] to load the encouter, but when I press the button in the command panel to load the encounter, I am presented with the error as expained in my original post.

This is the case for both of the free adventures which are available. Obviously I can't try it with any others as I have yet to purchase a liscense.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:43 pm

That's interesting info. Perhaps there's some code I need to update on the Command panel to get Encounters to load properly. Didn't think of that (I tend to disable the Commands panel).
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Kazander
General

Post by Kazander » Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:07 pm

Surge,

Thanks for doing the groundwork on this one, including the workaround. Saved me some time.

Heruca, I have the same problem with encounters that have Artpack content. If I load them with the Hotkey, they load, but using the command panel I get the same error Surge reported.

I can confirm that I have the same problem with 1.3f, as well.

Kazander.