player client disconnects

Help improve BRPG and BGE by reporting any bugs you encounter.
nortonweb
General

player client disconnects

Post by nortonweb » Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:07 pm

Hi

I'm having a strange issue with one player. I think its his connection but it also might be BG.

My player as a full licence.

Every so often his connection drops out of BG. Its not the 45 min time-out it seems to be linked to bandwidth.

1) When he does drop out his client doesn't detect it correctly and the only way he can reconnect to the game again is to close and reopen BG which as he has a slowish machine takes time. So is it possible to get a button to allow him to reset his connection without that.

2) How does BG maintain its handshake with the clients? Is there a ping? How long does it give before it kicks the client off as not being able to talk to it?

Pete

BTS1967
General

Post by BTS1967 » Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:25 pm

Norton, since about September\October of last year I have been having the same problem; seemed like I was the only one. I have one player in particular who disconnects.

At first it would be like a countdown of 45 min, 30min, and then a constant 15min. A few times in the past year it didn't occur at all. I transferred a floating license to him and he now disconnects every 45 minutes but at least I dont have to accept for him to get a license; it just auto reconnects.

We played this past Saturday night and had one disconnect at the very end.

How did he identify it as a bandwidth issue?

Cheers,
BTS

nortonweb
General

Post by nortonweb » Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:05 pm

He didn't I did.

We are in Australia and his in a small "town" outside Coffs Harbour up the coast.

Not the best of broadband services plus he has quite an old machine.

I'm thinking bandwidth on more an IT gut instinct then any real hard evidence (for some reason my gut is normally right on these things if only it would get the lotto numbers right once in a while). Thats the reason I ask about hand shake as something is telling my host that the client is not there but his player client doesn't know about it until a while after. In fact even my player in Scotland UK knows his dropped out before he does.

heruca
Developer

Re: player client disconnects

Post by heruca » Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:00 am

nortonweb wrote: 1) When he does drop out his client doesn't detect it correctly and the only way he can reconnect to the game again is to close and reopen BG which as he has a slowish machine takes time. So is it possible to get a button to allow him to reset his connection without that.
Sure, I'll add a button to force a connection reset, so that quitting out of BRPG and relaunching isn't required.
nortonweb wrote: 2) How does BG maintain its handshake with the clients? Is there a ping? How long does it give before it kicks the client off as not being able to talk to it?
To be honest, I don't really know, since it's all handled automatically by goMu, the networking code library I use in BRPG. It supposedly will re-establish lost connections on its own, or try to, indefinitely.

I plan on adding some network diagnostic tools myself, however. Some sort of handshake/heartbeat to keep the user informed of the state of his connection, and when there is heavy bandwidth usage taking place, such as map transfers. I may also be able to add a ping feature pretty easily.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

nortonweb
General

Post by nortonweb » Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:33 am

That would be really cool and defo gets my geek heart beating faster :D

BTS1967
General

Post by BTS1967 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:27 am

I like the ping issue myself!

BTS

kato42
General

Post by kato42 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:50 pm

I've had this happen with some clients as well. Although not that regularly.

One thing of interest is that clients with their own license often have problems reconnecting after a drop like that. It tells them that their license key is already in use. For them to restart BG doesn't help at that point, I have to restart the host session to reset the license key.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:54 pm

That's due to the GM Client not realizing that the player client has disconnected. A heartbeat feature will eliminate that. Watch this space for news.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

kato42
General

Post by kato42 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:49 pm

Cool. That would be great.

Kazander
General

Post by Kazander » Sat Sep 06, 2008 2:25 pm

Just tossing my 2 bits in this discussion.

I finally managed to get my players to pony up some cash for licenses, and we had our first game session where everyone involved had a license: me and two players (up to four, but not this week). With 4 players, the auto disconnects were getting annoying for everyone involved.

So, here we thought the disconnects would go away, but they didn't--not entirely.

The second player to connect to my GM client got booted twice; once after about an hour, the second time in about half that time. Needless to say, it's a little irksome to have paid for the client and *still* be getting disconnected.

The first player to connect had no problems. I verified that the second player had applied his license properly to his BRPG. We're using 1.2g. The only major difference is that the second player uses a Mac, the rest of us are PC. As far as I can tell, his broadband connection is fine, because we use Teamspeak and MSN Messenger at the same time and he didn't get disconnected from either of those.

It seems like an issue that warrants investigation.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:20 pm

Kazander wrote:It seems like an issue that warrants investigation.
Absolutely. Addressing this issue and the issue with incomplete peer-to-peer map transfers will be the main focus of v1.3c. It's time to stop adding new features for a while and make sure that the existing features all work smoothly and reliably.

Kazander
General

Post by Kazander » Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:28 am

Just letting you know Heruca, that this disconnect thing still appears to be an issue (1.3e).

It's only with the Mac client though; he's licensed, and there does not seem to be a problem with general connectivity for him at the time (doesn't seem to be dropping ICMP packets, for example).

The timing seems to be random, and it happens 2-3 times in a 3 hour session. It happened the last time we played too (3 weeks ago).

He's the only one of my group experiencing this, connected to my Vista-based GM client.

Kazander
General

Post by Kazander » Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:49 pm

Update on this issue:

It does not appear to be the Mac client that is the issue. Rather, it appears to be the last player who joined that suffers from this problem. Maybe coincidentally at this point (statistical sample of 2 is small).

This client was a Vista32 client, using a floating license. Last time the license was not floating, it was his own.

4 player clients this time, only 3 last time.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:19 pm

These are disconnects, not timeouts, correct? And they affect only BRPG and not other connections like a VOIP app or a chat client?

Kazander
General

Post by Kazander » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:23 am

Sorry, no, but these are timeouts. Thing is that 2 clients have their own license, and 2 are using floating licenses. Nobody should be in Demo mode.

Kazander
General

Post by Kazander » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:25 am

....and IM and VOIP apps are not affected. :-)

(have to learn to answer ALL the questions in one posting)

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:24 am

I think I may have an idea what's causing this. Did these timeouts start happening around the time v1.3b was released (Sept. 26th)?

Kazander
General

Post by Kazander » Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:40 pm

Possibly; my gaming platform went straight from 1.2g to 1.3e. All prior 1.3x releases I used for testing only where this problem would likely not have shown up since I only used a single client connected.

nortonweb
General

Post by nortonweb » Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:01 pm

Ours did yes. Before that this user had no problems.
Running 5 player D&D 4E campaign over the net using BRPG 1.4e

Kazander
General

Post by Kazander » Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:22 pm

I'm not entirely sure if this is the same problem or a related one, but last night while playing I noticed that my unlicensed player was not grabbing a floating license reliably.

When we first set up, he joined without a floater (unnoticed by me), then he got disconnected 45 minutes later. When he rejoined, I was prompted for the floating license and he grabbed it as it is supposed to work.

About halfway through the evening, there was a power outage in my neighborhood which obviously disconnected everyone. When the power came back on a little later and we reconnected, he again did not get a floater. 45 minutes later he was disconnected, and rejoined twice to try and get a floating license, to no avail. We let it go for the night since we were almost done anyway.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:39 pm

That's a pretty serious issue. I will definitely address it in v1.4.

You're still using v1.3e, right? v1.3f at least lets the clients know when they're not under a Floating License.

Kazander
General

Post by Kazander » Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:53 pm

Yes, I'm still using 1.3e. I haven't had a chance to do any testing with 1.3f yet--just too busy at this time of year.

BTS1967
General

Post by BTS1967 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:57 pm

nm, just chatted with Heruca and we have unrelated problems... *sigh*

BTS