Connection to alternate ports

Help improve BRPG and BGE by reporting any bugs you encounter.
allen
Cannon Fodder

Connection to alternate ports

Post by allen » Sun Jun 01, 2008 3:53 pm

Hi there
I connected a windows xp machine running the gm client and the demo client directly to the internet (no router in the way) without a firewall. I was able to host on port 4999, but could not connect to that port. When I hosted on port 1626, I was able to connect.

I'm not sure if this is the client, or some hidden blocking provided to me as a "service" by my ISP, but I figured it was good data to know about.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:18 pm

A port cannot be used by more than one application at a time. Perhaps another application on your computer was using that port.

Also, windows reserves a few ports for special services, though I doubt 4999 is one of them.

I have managed to host on custom ports in the past, though I haven't tested it recently.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:02 pm

In your failed attempt to connect over port 4999, you attempted to connect via the external IP address, rather than the internal IP address? Is your Demo client's executable named differently than the GM Client executable?
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

allen
Cannon Fodder

Post by allen » Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:48 pm

heruca wrote:In your failed attempt to connect over port 4999, you attempted to connect via the external IP address, rather than the internal IP address? Is your Demo client's executable named differently than the GM Client executable?
* external ip
* executables named differently

I tested it both behind a router, and directly connected to my cable modem. When connected directly to the cable modem, I was able to host on 1626. Regrettably, I didnt think to try a number of other ports.

It's not a critical issue- 1626 is fine for my purposes =). I just figured that bug reports were good =)