Chat Feature [OLD]

A holding area for obsolete posts that we don't wish to delete altogether.
Emryys
Sergeant

Chat Feature [OLD]

Post by Emryys » Thu Dec 29, 2005 4:02 am

I was disappointed to find the Chat feature disabled, as I wanted to see the interface and functionality. I currently use GRiP and enjoy the fully developed chat features and character sheets. GRiP's map feature is primative in comparison so if I could get at least a fairly well rounded chat feature to go with the lovely map potential well... :)
I like to roleplay online with lots of chat interspersed with visuals and maps for combat and exploration so a nice balance, even tilted in the mapping direction, would work for me ;)

Halebop

Post by Halebop » Thu Dec 29, 2005 6:19 am

Hi Emryys,

You'll get your chance (hopefully) in the next 2 or 3 months with the full demo. Most of the network dependant tools were not enabled. However, development is still in progress so now is your chance to suggest a wish list! Why not list out the functions you'd like to see with Chat (and even the "features" you don't like in other products)?

Emryys
Sergeant

Post by Emryys » Fri Dec 30, 2005 12:21 am

Chat feature suggestions for BGRP

Alot of the features presume the a voice connection is not being used for roleplaying, although many would still be handy anyways. I use a voice connection for OOC talk and rule/tech questions, but stick to chat for roleplaying as I find this enhances the immersion of roleplying online. This may differ for others ;)

* /me output as an action. "/me checks his backpack", would come out as Gorath (character name) checks his backpack. It's in a set color (purple?) and is italicized to designate action. This way actions that cannot be shown "visually" on the map can be expressed, including facial gestures and body language. Gorath shruggs...

* Be able to choose each characters output color

* Have a dropdown menu for the ref to output chat as an NPC

* Be able to right click on an NPC and choose some available preset chat output that is input by the ref. Bartender- "What are ya drinkin' you swines"

* Have a dropdown menu to select "narrations", which are bits of text like room descriptions

* Have a whisper ability with dierolling ability for those special rolls ;)

* Have the chat feature as a floating window that may be collapsed to the tray and hilights like an IM when someone enters something. Maybe an option to have the text appear on the map itself

* /<1-9> Have 9 preset dice rolls that can be accessed via the chat feature.

* Be able to send hyperlinks via the chat so Refs could have online data/web sites that the players could access during play

* Be able to cut/paste/copy to/from the chat feature

* Be able to scroll back the full chat session for reference during play (dierolls, etc)

* Of course have the complete text auto save or right click to save for the campaign journals

Just a few ;)

Opinions... :)

Kepli
High Commander

Post by Kepli » Fri Dec 30, 2005 7:42 am

Excellent suggestions Emryys ... :D

* Drag and/or copy/paste dice roll results to the chatwindow

* Open another chatwindow (probably use tabs on the same chatwindow) to chat in private with a player. This is not a must-have, but would be easier.

* Possibility to either stop people from entering more text, or make known everybody should stop yapping/typing and listen to the GM.

* Easily indicate whos turn it is ...

When I think of more stuff, I will post that too :wink:

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:32 am

Great suggestions, guys. Most of what you listed is already planned, and nothing you listed is technically impossible. Not sure if having the chat text appear directly on the map is all that desirable, though (perhaps a poll is in order...). I especially like the URL idea.

I´ll try to post a screenshot of the chat window in early January, if only for feedback purposes. It´s still a bit too raw to post now, and people might get the wrong impression.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.