[OLD] File Transfers

A holding area for obsolete posts that we don't wish to delete altogether.

If File Transfers are NOT improved...

I will not use BRPG
18%
I will cry like a baby
No votes
I will wail in anguish
9%
I will wallow in misery
No votes
I will gnash my teeth
18%
I will grumble a bunch
27%
I will be fine
27%
I would never use these features anyway
No votes

Total votes: 11

Omnidon
Site Admin

[OLD] File Transfers

Post by Omnidon » Sun Jul 16, 2006 12:33 pm

BRPG allows files to be transfered from the GM to the player when they are needed.
  • 2 MB Limit
    A technical limitation of heruca's development tool, Director, causes BRPG to be unable to transfer files larger than 2 Megabytes. At this time, he has no way to fix it since it is hardcoded into his work environment.

The current workaround is to break the map into multiple pieces, but many GMs (like me) are lazy and don't want to have to worry about that.

JPG compression will not help since the compression is ignored during the transfer.

EDIT: Due to a feature that breaks maps into pieces before they are sent, this limitation now only applies to files other than maps.
  • Download from Server
    If the GM could cause the player clients to download a file from a remote server, that would be another workaround for the 2 MB limit, and likely would have other uses.
  • Background Transfers
    Even files under 2 MB can often take some time to load for the players. BRPG will eventually support the ability to have the files that the GM needs later gradually sent in the background.

These files, like other transfers, would be encrypted in the User Cast.cxt so the players can't peak.
  • Bulk Send Folder
    It would be very handy for the GM to have a folder that, with one click of a button, sends all of its contents to the players.

An important distinction between this and Background Transfers is that the files in the bulk folder would be visible to the players, rather than hidden away in the User Cast.cxt like other file transfers.

This would be useful as it is often necessary to provide players with many different materials to be inspected during or after a session.

Other applications such as instant messengers make sending multiple files tedious.
Last edited by Omnidon on Thu Dec 28, 2006 4:55 am, edited 5 times in total.

Weezoh
General

Post by Weezoh » Sun Jul 16, 2006 3:41 pm

I believe the 2 meg number is pre compression. the amount of compression doesn't matter. all my maps that fail were under 800 k compressed. but the uncompressed sizes were around 50 meg or so. even chopping up a full size dundjinni map results in big files if you don't count compression.
Macbook Pro
Intel iMac
Mac os 10.5.4

--
Weezoh

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:24 pm

Correct, Weezoh. It's the uncompressed size that matters, unfortunately.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:41 pm

Ah I thought that had been fixed. No wonder so many maps still weren't working.

Corrected.