Suggestion Summary Under Construction

A holding area for obsolete posts that we don't wish to delete altogether.
Omnidon
Site Admin

Suggestion Summary Under Construction

Post by Omnidon » Fri Jul 07, 2006 5:46 am

This list is under construction.

Although the list will always be under constant revision, please be patient for now if something is missing.
I am not finished with all of the summaries yet and will not even have all of the existing suggestions posted for a while.

I will remove this post when it is finished and then you are welcome to tell me if you have any suggestions I missed.
Last edited by Omnidon on Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Sat Jul 08, 2006 2:45 pm

Update:
About 70% of the summaries have been posted, including most of the big ones.

I will be slowly digging through the old feedback for the suggestions I missed.

I also have yet to make the Index / Table of Contents, which I'm saving for last.

Kepli
High Commander

Post by Kepli » Sat Jul 08, 2006 6:17 pm

This is a terrific piece of work omnidon :D

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Jul 08, 2006 6:25 pm

I agree, it's a very handy reference (as is the bug list summary).
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Jixxala
Captain

Post by Jixxala » Sat Jul 08, 2006 10:27 pm

This is a really great idea. I like having the polls, as it should help in prioritizing features and upgrades by demand. It is nice to have a list of all suggestions in one place, rather than digging through all the forums to see if your "new" idea is in fact "new". Great work.
Jixxala
Developer of PGS (Pegasus Gaming System)
Current state - Alpha
Beta starts October.
www.Pegasus-Foundation.com

Balesir
General

Post by Balesir » Sun Jul 09, 2006 2:41 pm

I agree that this is a great piece of work!

One thing on the polls, though, is that the terminology does not result in a 'priority' grading from me. As an example, fog-of-war enhancements often have the 'top two' choices as 'I would not use BRPG' and 'I would not use FoW'. Now, if FoW is important to me, I am hardly going to not use it at all just because it doesn't do things the way I really want; and abandoning BRPG assumes either that there is a solution out there that does it better or that I am subject to childish fits of pique. The point about some of the stuff BRPG is good at (and looks like getting better at) is that it is stuff no other VT does as well. They are important, to me, for just that reason - they are unique selling propositions that are needed to put, and keep, BRPG ahead of the alternatives. Lack of development there would not cause me to abandon BRPG immediately - but my guess is that the alternatives would catch up and surpass BRPG in time. And then I would switch.
Balesir

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:18 pm

Which brings up the issue of what's more "urgent". To add features other VTs also have, in order to make BRPG more competitive, or to focus on stuff the others don't even do, to make other VTs less competitive.

I'm going with the former, with a sprinkling of the latter. :D

But after BRPG reaches a certain level of maturity, I intend to pile on some more BRPG-only features. Things they can't dream of doing with Java, for example. And things they simply haven't thought of.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Gwindel
Captain

Post by Gwindel » Sun Jul 09, 2006 6:13 pm

I think that there is another poll that would be needed.
One of the main attractions of Battlegrounds (for me at least) is its simplicity. Whilst I wouldn't use most of the features and wouldn't care overmuch if they are added or not, I think that implementing the whole lot would turn Battlegrounds into the kind of apps that need too much tweaking to be easily used.
Whilst I understand that motivated users always want one cool feature more, I am afraid that it is not what the more casual user may expect.
More people are driven insane through religious hysteria than by drinking alcohol. — W. C. Fields

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Jul 09, 2006 6:26 pm

I suppose I could always hide away certain features until they are manually enabled by an advanced user...

Btw, nice to see you're still checking in once in a while, Gwindel. I figured I'd completely lost you to Gametable. I think you, especially, are going to like RC2.

Gwindel
Captain

Post by Gwindel » Sun Jul 09, 2006 6:50 pm

Well, I am completely torn between Battlegrounds and Gametable.
Whilst Gametable has its strong points for my use (mostly the infinite table and the possibility to run easily two instances of the program at the same time on one computer), it is not exactly what I need.
So I certainly keep an eye on Battlegrounds. Indeed, I would have been perfectly happy if the map size had been the same (but, it is 61 pixels a square for BRPG and 64 for Gametable), so I would have been able to use both without choosing.
I think I'll buy BRPG v1 anyway to have a real try with the real app and choose after with which one I'll stick.
And anyway I'll certainly be interested in Battlegrounds wargame edition.

I must say that I really appreciate your fair play, I discovered Gametable through your links and you regularily appear on the forum there in a very constructive way.
More people are driven insane through religious hysteria than by drinking alcohol. — W. C. Fields

Gwindel
Captain

Post by Gwindel » Sun Jul 09, 2006 6:51 pm

...and what is RC2?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Jul 09, 2006 7:05 pm

Sorry, RC2 = Release Candidate 2.

It turns out I needed an additional release prior to v1.0, and I had already released something called v1.0 RC, so that's the name I came up with for this next one. Confusing, I know. But soon, version names should be much simplified.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Mon Jul 10, 2006 4:19 am

I'm glad everyone is enjoying the list.
Balesir wrote:One thing on the polls, though, is that the terminology does not result in a 'priority' grading from me.
At first I considered making the polls a "On a scale of 1 to 10, what is the priority of this feature?"

But that sort of poll seems to produce rather useless information. One person who wants the feature badly may rate it as a 7 while another person who just thinks it's a good idea might give it a 10.

So instead, with the current scheme of the polls, I'm trying to collect information on personal priority, not on relative priority.
I'm not trying to compare features; I'm trying to find out the importance of each feature individually.

We want to know what each feature will mean to BRPG's popularity and usefulness.
Balesir wrote:As an example, fog-of-war enhancements often have the 'top two' choices as 'I would not use BRPG' and 'I would not use FoW'. Now, if FoW is important to me, I am hardly going to not use it at all just because it doesn't do things the way I really want; and abandoning BRPG assumes either that there is a solution out there that does it better or that I am subject to childish fits of pique.
The polls do not assume that there are other options out there.
The purpose of those extremes is to determine whether the feature is good enough right now to be useful.

If someone says "If Fog of War is not improved... I will not use Fog of War", then that means the person feels the feature is too clunky to be worth their time, even though they would use it if it was improved.

If you picked BRPG specifically because of its fog of war, then you obviously wouldn't choose that option for fog of war, but you certainly might choose it for another feature that is less important to you.

I'm not "subject to childish fits of pique", but I would be hard-pressed to use BRPG at all without Snap-to-Grid disabling.

And I, for one, am not going to use the chat interface very often until it is improved. That doesn't mean I feel the chat interface is more important than other features, such as Tabbed Browsing or Map Zooming, but it's important to know whether people are content with the feature as it is.

If I said you could only use BRPG if you let me stand there clubbing you on the head the whole time, would you do it anyway?
It's all a question of what is worth it to you.

Balesir
General

Post by Balesir » Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:28 am

Omnidon wrote:I'm not "subject to childish fits of pique", but I would be hard-pressed to use BRPG at all without Snap-to-Grid disabling.
Sorry - I really should have put a smiley after the "childish fits of pique" :wink:
Omnidon also wrote:And I, for one, am not going to use the chat interface very often until it is improved. That doesn't mean I feel the chat interface is more important than other features, such as Tabbed Browsing or Map Zooming, but it's important to know whether people are content with the feature as it is.
Right - but the difference here is that chat clients abound. Until it is improved I may well use an alternative IRC client for chat while still using BRPG as the virtual tabletop. I'm not putting my point very well, but I guess what I'm trying to say is that some stuff seems to me to be the actual 'raison d'etre' of BRPG (map import, real time map/object sharing, grid/no grid, dynamic reveals), wheras some is 'nice to have, but if you're going to have it it should be done right or folk will just use something else' (dice rolling, chat, audio/visual file transfer). As it stands, these latter will tend to come out higher priority than the 'core' stuff, which I think is misleading. Just my view - but one I feel is important here.
And Omnidon wrote:If I said you could only use BRPG if you let me stand there clubbing you on the head the whole time, would you do it anyway?
Heck, no! I can get better head clubbers than you any day of the week! :lol: :wink:
Balesir

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:43 am

Balesir wrote:
Omnidon wrote:I'm not "subject to childish fits of pique", but I would be hard-pressed to use BRPG at all without Snap-to-Grid disabling.
Sorry - I really should have put a smiley after the "childish fits of pique" :wink:
Sorry - I really should have put a smiley after the "I'm not "subject to childish fits of pique"" :lol::lol:
Balesir wrote:I'm not putting my point very well, but I guess what I'm trying to say is that some stuff seems to me to be the actual 'raison d'etre' of BRPG (map import, real time map/object sharing, grid/no grid, dynamic reveals), wheras some is 'nice to have, but if you're going to have it it should be done right or folk will just use something else' (dice rolling, chat, audio/visual file transfer). As it stands, these latter will tend to come out higher priority than the 'core' stuff, which I think is misleading. Just my view - but one I feel is important here.
I see your point, but I disagree that just because a feature is unique to BRPG it is more important.

As heruca just said, he isn't trying to carve out his own niche yet; he's trying to make an overall better product than his competitors.

If their chat support is winning customers away from BRPG for them, then heruca is losing money.

Yes, chat can be done better with other programs and it isn't the most important thing to me personally, but if the weak chat support in BRPG causes some people not to buy it then heruca is, as I said, losing money.

That's what I'm finding out with the polls. The fact that some people have actually selected those extreme options proves their value.

If you feel the unique features are not getting enough attention just because people aren't choosing the extreme of "I won't use BRPG", then try to remember that heruca is a gamer too.

The polls are there to collect information for him, but he's not going to decide the fate of BRPG on them. He wants BRPG to be as good as it can get too, not just to make money but also so he can have fun playing his own games!

Balesir
General

Post by Balesir » Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:19 am

OK - the 'I'll cry' option will do just fine, thank'ee. Although to avoid it not being used because it's not macho enough, you might make it 'I'll throw my toys out of the cot'... :wink: :twisted:
Balesir

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:29 am

Haha
Yeah I'll be adding more options next time I reset the polls.

Maybe "I'll stamp my foot!" :lol:

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:13 am

Update:

I will gradually be extensively updating and reorganizing the suggestion summary over the next week orso, so don't be surprised if things get shuffled around a bit.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:42 pm

Update:

All posts (except the index) have been updated for BRPG v1.07 and a couple more topics have been added.

I still have some reorganization to do and many many more suggestions to add.

nijineko
Soldier

Post by nijineko » Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:51 am

multiple instances are one (minor) feature that attracted me to gametable, but a system of allowing multiple logins from the same ip, or allowing multiple npc's to appear at the gm's discretion would meet that need as well.

i frequently am playing more than one character in my groups, as i'm willing to take whichever of the four basic food groups the other players don't want to play. so allowing players to have more than one character and be able to appear "in-character" as each, is important to me too.

the blow-them-away features you hint at, heruca, will need to be compelling to convince me to switch away from (free) gametable. however, if they are as good as you hope, and easy to use, plus doesn't hog ram to the point where i can't use the voip and crystalball lite for dice rolling to rp with my friends, then we might have something convincing enough to overcome my pocketbooks inertia.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:04 am

Are you aware that BRPG allows for multiple instances on the same computer, and for running more than one character at once (even from a single instance), and that it allows the GM to "Chat As" any NPC? Multiple logins from the same IP should also work just fine.