What are the most critical bugs? [OLD]

A holding area for obsolete posts that we don't wish to delete altogether.
heruca
Developer

What are the most critical bugs? [OLD]

Post by heruca » Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:52 pm

In your opinion, what are the most critical bugs or usability issues that need fixing for BRPG for v1.0 RC2, in order to make BRPG games playable?

Please list no more than 3, and try to avoid listing things that I've already noted as "fixed for the next version", or have otherwise already covered on the forums.

I'll try to focus my efforts on fixing the things most voted for.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Weezoh
General

Re: What are the most critical bugs?

Post by Weezoh » Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:44 pm

heruca wrote:In your opinion, what are the most critical bugs or usability issues that need fixing for BRPG for v1.0 RC2, in order to make BRPG games playable?

Please list no more than 3, and try to avoid listing things that I've already noted as "fixed for the next version", or have otherwise already covered on the forums.

I'll try to focus my efforts on fixing the things most voted for.
  1. Map/image transfers over 2meg failing -- this is the showstopper for me
  2. figures/objects appearing as ?
Macbook Pro
Intel iMac
Mac os 10.5.4

--
Weezoh

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:29 pm

heruca wrote:Omnidon, the 2MB limit is a technical limitation. I can get around it for maps by sending the graphic in small pieces and reassembling it on the client's end, but I doubt I can do anything similar for Flash files. For such larger transfers, I recommend using the Send File feature of a chat program like Skype.

Edit: Oops. Looks like Omnidon deleted his post.
Heheh yeah I was intending to repost after reading up on the bugs but my power just went out.
Weezoh wrote:Map/image transfers over 2meg failing -- this is the showstopper for me
I'm not the only one with this problem though :P

For flash files with music I may be able to get streaming to work in BRPG, but 2 MB is a very severe limitation for everything else. Downloading it from a server would be another alternative if it could be triggered from inside BRPG. I'll add that to my suggestion list.

--Edit---

The problem with using 3rd party apps for transfers is that it won't load into BRPG. The added advantage of getting BRPG to load from a server is that it also would give the ability to link to files on the player's system that haven't been preloaded. That combined with a bulk transfer folder would be great. But anyway, that'll all be on my list :P

Here are my highest priority bugs. I decided on only 2 bugs since I'm not terribly familiar with most of the other ones.
  1. General Stability Improvement
    (My players are suspicious of VTs. If it crashes more than once per session they likely will not want to use it.)
  2. 2 MB Limit needs workaround or fix.
    (As mentioned above.)

Balesir
General

Post by Balesir » Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:08 pm

The only really critical one for me is the image transfer problem (which seems to extend to maps for me - is that as reported?).

Other than that getting rid of script errors that occasionally happen on object placement (seems to be when using 'make default' for certain objects) would be very good.

Oh - and 'nice to have' would be a few more FoW mask options, specifically single square and 2x2, plus some hex-shaped ones for the hex sheet. But this is getting picky, and is not actually a 'bug' :wink:
Balesir

Balesir
General

Hey - Try Just 'Playing' With This Thing!

Post by Balesir » Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:55 am

Hi,

As an update on what I wrote above, after testing various bits of the RC2-PR version yesterday I took a little time to just 'play around' with BRPG. This is a great program! (But you already knew that :wink: ) It even drew a few 'ooohs' and 'aaahs' from my occasional 'audience' and conjured some really good atmosphere in the player view. I'll be using this 'in anger' real soon!

The (on-topic) point of this post is to say that, after figuring out one or two work-arounds (see the bug threads on panel freezing and map stretching) I was able to work with a basically stable configuration and use all the functionality needed while running a game. The only downside was the CPU usage bug; since the player machine was, um, not so new, it crawled along, each piece move taking 2 seconds or so, with a 'baseload' taking up 90% of the CPU full-time...

Summary - it's functional and mostly stable - just a few bug fixes/modofocations should get to a viable 1.0!

Oh - could still use a few more masks, though - especially hexagonal ones... :wink:
Balesir

heruca
Developer

Re: Hey - Try Just 'Playing' With This Thing!

Post by heruca » Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:38 pm

Balesir wrote:Hi,

As an update on what I wrote above, after testing various bits of the RC2-PR version yesterday I took a little time to just 'play around' with BRPG. This is a great program! (But you already knew that :wink: ) It even drew a few 'ooohs' and 'aaahs' from my occasional 'audience' and conjured some really good atmosphere in the player view. I'll be using this 'in anger' real soon!
Cool. :D
Balesir wrote:The (on-topic) point of this post is to say that, after figuring out one or two work-arounds (see the bug threads on panel freezing and map stretching) I was able to work with a basically stable configuration and use all the functionality needed while running a game. The only downside was the CPU usage bug; since the player machine was, um, not so new, it crawled along, each piece move taking 2 seconds or so, with a 'baseload' taking up 90% of the CPU full-time...
I've done a bit more that might help lower the CPU usage. Today I'll test it out with a CPU meter and tweak some more, if needed.
Balesir wrote:Summary - it's functional and mostly stable - just a few bug fixes/modofocations should get to a viable 1.0!
As it turns out, by pure coincidence, the two sample Encounters provided with RC1 had either just figures or just objects, but not both. Since that's what I mostly used in my testing, I failed to discover some bugs that affected the Turn Sequencer and Unit Manager. I've fixed that now, and in doing so might have solved a number of other issues.
Balesir wrote:Oh - could still use a few more masks, though - especially hexagonal ones... :wink:
You mean gridded FoW reveals while in hexgrid mode? Because the gridded AoEs should all be in place, already.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Balesir
General

Re: Hey - Try Just 'Playing' With This Thing!

Post by Balesir » Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:40 pm

heruca wrote:You mean gridded FoW reveals while in hexgrid mode? Because the gridded AoEs should all be in place, already.
Actually, all I mean is hexagon versions of the '4x4', '8x8', etc. FoW mask objects that are already there for the square grid... I was being a little flippant, as creating some for oneself should not be too difficult!

This must include a single hexagon, though, as scaling is not useful with multi-hexes to get single hexes...
Balesir

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:45 pm

OK, I've added a few sample hex-based masking objects. With them as a guide (or by using them in combination), you should easily be able to make custom ones in whatever sizes you need.

Balesir
General

Post by Balesir » Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:56 am

Thanks - as I said, the savvy could fairly easily make their own, but the casual user (who you want to attract) and the lazy user (who? me?? :wink: ) will really welcome this, I'm sure.
Balesir

GMBazUK
Captain

Post by GMBazUK » Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:04 am

3 things I would expect:

Stability in relation to, map/image transfers
Stability in relation to image/object placement
Stability in relation to dice rolling and concealment and revealing of interface.

The last one may not be an issue within RC2.

Baz.
As Einstein once said... did you let the cat out Mileva?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Aug 26, 2006 4:32 am

You'll be happy to know that the most annoying/problematic bug, as voted by you, has been dealt with. The 2 MB barrier has been broken (for maps, not for visual aids, yet). Not only that, but now you get a progress bar for visual feedback which shows how far along the transfer is.

After v1.0 is released, Omnidon or I will reset this thread and you can vote for the next major bug/issue that needs addressing.

thelevitator
Captain

Post by thelevitator » Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:12 pm

I've been away for awhile, but I'm trying to get up to speed on all of the changes. One thing that's driving me nuts is the way the cursor moves you around the map. EVERY time I try to go down to my windows task bar, the map scrolls to the bottom and I lose my view of the encounter. Are there any other options right now for panning on the map other than the arrow keys or the cursor?

I'm also wondering about zooming capability and being able to use larger maps.

I think that's 3 things! :D

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:14 pm

Nice to see you back on here, Lev. :)

All three of your concerns are being or have been addressed. :D

v1.0 uses a right-click-and-drag method of map scrolling, and the cursor-based scrolling is OFF by default (it can be switched on in Prefs, but I'd advise against it until I perfect how that feature works).

I think there's a problem in RC2a, in that zooming is only working on Macs, and not Windows. Can someone let me know if they've gotten zooming to work under Windows?

Large maps (up to 40 x 40 cells) now transfer just fine in v1.0 (because they're sent in small chunks and reassembled on the client end), so expect to see a significant increase in maximum map size in a future update. You now also get visual feedback of a map transfer's progress.

thelevitator
Captain

Post by thelevitator » Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:52 pm

Awesome! I'm not really sure about the cells things. How does the 40x40 cells equate to a regular Dundjinni map?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:57 pm

A DJ map maxes out at 32 x 40 squares. BRPG allows 40 x 40 squares. Somewhat more for hexes.

Halebop

Post by Halebop » Thu Sep 14, 2006 2:14 am

That's assuming the maxmimum available 200 pixels per grid in Dundjini (DJ) is resized to BRPGs 61 pixels. I could make a 6,400 Pixel by 8,000 Pixel map in DJ and without resizing it would make 104 x 131 full BRPG cells.

This is a bit tricky for some types of maps (because you are effectively working in the wrong scale with most DJ objects) but nature and forest maps are easy to do this.

thelevitator
Captain

Post by thelevitator » Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:20 am

Ahhhh...good to know! My real need for big maps is for natural encounters. I try to keep my buildings realistic, so I don't have 400 room "dungeons" in campaigns. Bigger outdoor maps really come in handy with flying creatures too, which you don't have to worry about indoors so much! :wink:

Halebop

Post by Halebop » Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:14 am

Just to add, my estimate of BRPG "potential" cell count out of Dundjinni would still be dependant upon BRPG supporting a grid bigger than 40x40.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:13 am

I'd just like to clarify that while a 40 x 40 cell map would normally be 2440 x 2440 pixels, you can of course use a 4880 x 4880 map that won't pixellate at all when you zoom in to 200%.

You provide the RAM, though. :P

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Dec 07, 2006 5:57 am

Looks like the most critical bug as voted by everyone in this thread has finally been resolved. :D

And AFAIK, so has the second-most critical bug (large map transfers).

We may have to pose this question again after you all have had a chance to beat on v1.0.2a.