Line of Sight / Fog of War Hybrid [OLD]

A holding area for obsolete posts that we don't wish to delete altogether.
Halebop

Line of Sight / Fog of War Hybrid [OLD]

Post by Halebop » Sat Dec 10, 2005 12:56 am

Well I was thinking of stuff while reading financial data and drinking a large Vodka and Lemon Soda and one thing lead to another...

Probably more in the realm of future add on but it would be cool if you could plot walls and other obstructions on some sort of map overlay and have those invisible lines "block" any further vision, so everything beyond remained black. This would be particularly useful for buildings and dungeons where adjoining rooms can be close to each other but where circumstances dictate the players would not be able to "look through" from one location to another (such as being blocked by a wall).

Kepli
High Commander

Post by Kepli » Sat Dec 10, 2005 7:50 am

Yes ... that would be a nice thing, but hard to implement I think.
Still, if you can upload a designed overlay that you made beforehand, or make it possible to make that in BRPG ... We will have to discuss this some more.

Mind Flayer Monk
Sergeant

Post by Mind Flayer Monk » Fri Dec 16, 2005 2:47 am

Would it be possible to create a "locked tile" feature where you could click on a tile and hit a check box somewhere and that tile would be "locked" and subject to fog of war features?

When a character moves outside or inside of the house etc. you could simply uncheck the box and remove fog of war from that tile?
--I must feed

Halebop

Post by Halebop » Fri Dec 16, 2005 4:05 am

I think I would prefer to be able to plot the parameters to block light. Locking an entire tile might not gel well with an uneven cavern wall. Also, you may have players on different sides of the same wall. It would be nice to have some hidden logic dictate their respective visibility.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Dec 16, 2005 8:15 am

That's how I used to do it, Monk (I had a separate "tile layer" underneath the hexgrid, so the tiles wouldn't easily get moved around by mistake). Now the combination of mask shapes with a painted mask layer provides much more control (for situations like what Halebop describes).

What you describe is perfectly doable with mask shapes. When the party enters a room, just remove the mask shape you placed to cover that room. And if you used a second mask shape to conceal a closet in that room, then the closet is still hidden from view.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.