In Game Testing: Big Problems [Resolved]

An archive for tracking bugs that have already been fixed
Farland
High Commander

In Game Testing: Big Problems [Resolved]

Post by Farland » Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:28 pm

Alright, so I am trying to use BRPG to run a game, and I am running into big problems.

When placing a figure, I am getting a Director Player Error: List expected for handler. Script error. It's a known issue, and i didn't encounter it when designing the adventure, but when my players are connected it's cropping up.

When trying to give my figures dark vision I am getting another Director Player Error and then a fatal error (the one where the camp fire shows up). I have to use the task manager to exit out of BRPG. The program is crashing completely basically every five minutes! Grrrrrrrrrrrr.
The World of Farland: www.farlandworld.com

The best PbP site on the net: www.myth-weavers.com

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:39 pm

What version are you using? Can you email me the problem Encounter file?
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Farland
High Commander

Post by Farland » Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:45 pm

When transferring a map, I got a "Director Player Error: Index out of range: Script Error. Continue?" Clicking yes brought the error up repeatedly. Eventually it went away.

Farland
High Commander

Post by Farland » Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:47 pm

I also have a figure that is consistently two squares away from his base.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:17 pm

Are you using a square grid or hex grid? What base size is set for the figure? One cell, or larger?

It sounds like the figure might have extreme offsets. Right-click the figure and select "Edit Figure..." from the contextual popup menu. Then adjust the horizontal and vertical offsets using the Unit Settings panel that appears.

Let me know if that fixes it.

I'm currently on AIM and Yahoo Instant Messenger, if you want real-time support.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Farland
High Commander

Post by Farland » Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:32 pm

I edited the figure. Of course that's the least of my worries. Thanks for the support. :)

Farland
High Commander

Post by Farland » Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:32 pm

When I was planning the adventure, placing figs on a map I designed, etc., I didn't get one error or crash. It was when I hosted the game and my players connected that all this happened. Strange.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:19 pm

All of your "Index out of range" script errors today are probably due to a single bug. I think I can pinpoint the cause of that bug by joining your game as a player. Let me know when you have a little time and have got your port forwarding set up correctly, and we can lick this annoying bug.

Edit: I think trying to run an actual game session with a beta release (and especially without prior testing on a multiuser setup) is not a very good idea, as your players will probably come away with a very bad overall impression of the software if there are problems. I suggest sticking to the official release version when running actual games, to ensure a smoother experience.

Farland
High Commander

Post by Farland » Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:54 pm

Actually my players were excited at BRPG's potential, especially the vision capabilities, and really want to use it when the issues were fixed.

I was the frustrated one. :D

So you think version 1.03 could account for the Director Player Error bug, and it's something 1.02 doesn't have?

Let me know when a good time to hook up and test BRPG with you is.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:37 pm

It's certainly possible that the bug is in v1.0.2 as well, but since Balesir has succesfully run a game session without that error, it would seem to indicate that the error is specific to v1.0.3 (or it may just be that his group didn't use FoW, and yours did, or something like that).

I have time to test this tomorrow. It'd be ideal if this can be diagnosed and fixed in time for v1.0.4, which is due out on Monday.

Balesir
General

Post by Balesir » Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:49 pm

Well, we did use FoW and most other bits mentioned (different vision types, placing, deleting and editing figures mid-session, transferring maps) but were using 1.0.2b. I can recommend using that for real games for now - I'm currently using it for 'real play' but replicating what I do there (as I get time) in 1.0.3 to assess it for moving forward. I'll try to set up a multi-player test session with 1.0.3 soon to see if we hit similar problems.
Balesir