BUG: Floating License Issues [Fixed, v1.0.1]

An archive for tracking bugs that have already been fixed
Balesir
General

BUG: Floating License Issues [Fixed, v1.0.1]

Post by Balesir » Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:51 am

Last night I ran our second D&D session 'for real' using BRPG (yay!). Unfortunately we had some very niggling problems, mostly around the operation of the Floating Licenses. The setup was:
  • - GM and 4 players, all with patched/current v1.0 BRPG

- One player on the LAN with the GM, three connecting via internet.

- One internet player with own license, other players using floating licenses

- All using Windows OS (all XP, I think)
With one player logging on/off the FL worked fine.

When more than one player joined, however, the following oddities were experienced:
  • 1) The floating license popup appeared two or three times for a single player logging on

2) The other player with a license, although not hosting, saw several floating license popups and two other players reported seeing some sort of 'license popup', too

3) A player client that is logged in with a FL assigned but crashes out (due to lost connection, BRPG crash or whatever) does not clear the FL assignment on "logout"

4) FL popups appeared on players logging out as well as logging in on a couple of occasions

5) The licensed user joining the session caused an FL popup on one occasion - maybe this was a 'rejoin'? Related to the 'rejoin crash' issue, maybe?
If I accepted only the first popup for each player logging in, accepted no logging out popups and none for the licensed player, it worked OK - I didn't run out of FLs all session and the 'number of unassigned FLs' looked correct throughout. It will be very confusing to new users, though, and needs fixing. It is also very irritating to get lots of popups for both GM and players. If you want to test, heruca, I can spare some time tonight and maybe tomorrow, and I have both a licensed and an unlicensed machine I can connect with.
Balesir

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:17 am

Thanks for the detailed report, Balesir. I will be taking a long hard look at this today to get it fixed for v1.0.1.

I apologize for the frustration this must have caused. I guess you're the first to try to run with multiple players connected, otherwise we would have heard about this issue sooner.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:24 am

I think you'll find that v1.0.1 has addressed most of the issues you posted here. :D

Let me know if you're still available for testing, preferably before noon tomorrow.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Balesir
General

Post by Balesir » Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:19 pm

heruca wrote:Let me know if you're still available for testing, preferably before noon tomorrow.
Sorry - I missed you as I was painting a new kitchen...

Glad to hear the license issues may be squashed. Tomorrow I'm heading off on business for two days, but on Wednesday we have another run planned, so we'll see how it goes :D
Balesir

Balesir
General

Post by Balesir » Thu Nov 23, 2006 9:15 am

Well, we didn't do any actual running last night because too few folk could make the session, but we did do some testing and set-up and that went very well! :)

We had three players logged on at one point - two (including one with own license) via internet and one via LAN. We had no duplicated or spurious FL messages and the 'license counter' was correct each time I checked. The acid test of this will, I hope, come next week when I hope we will be running a full session, but early indications are good!

The map transfer is still not working well for big maps - we had one transferred with a big white oblong in the middle... The best recourse for now seems to be to have players pre-load all maps before the session. When doing this note that some download software does stupid things with ASCII file names. A map named 'Village%20Map%201' is not registered as the same map as 'Village Map 1' in the User Cast and so BRPG will transfer the map even though you may think it has been uploaded...

When modifying encounters for 1.0.1 you will need to reload all figures and objects as your whole User Cast will have been overwritten. This is a pain, but you only have to do it once for each item. The posted text modification is a breeze and worked perfectly each time.

We tested transfer of visual aids and audio via internet, too. Visuals worked fine - audio failed the first time (sent to 'Everyone') but worked second time when sent to a specific player and worked from then on whoever it was sent to. Audio files used were all standard ones supplied with BRPG.
Balesir

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:13 am

Glad to hear things are running smoother, now. Bummer about the map transfers, though. Did you happen to get a screen capture of the white oblong? It baffles me as to how that could occur. Was the map a PNG, or aJPEG? Did it show up that way for everyone, or just one player? At least the old issue of "gene-spliced" maps seems to be solved. :)

To avoid the garbled map name issue, try emailing the map to your players instead of uploading it to a server. Or zip it up first, if you must use a server.

I'll try to get audio to work more reliably on the first try.

Thanks for the testing and report, Balesir. You're one of the few people keeping this project moving forward.

Balesir
General

Post by Balesir » Fri Nov 24, 2006 10:13 am

heruca wrote:Glad to hear things are running smoother, now. Bummer about the map transfers, though. Did you happen to get a screen capture of the white oblong? It baffles me as to how that could occur. Was the map a PNG, or aJPEG? Did it show up that way for everyone, or just one player? At least the old issue of "gene-spliced" maps seems to be solved. :)
The trial was with a jpeg map to one player - the others had pre-loaded with no problem. Didn't get a screenshot - sorry.
heruca wrote:To avoid the garbled map name issue, try emailing the map to your players instead of uploading it to a server. Or zip it up first, if you must use a server.
As long as you know about it the garbled map name is really not a problem. On the night the player just renamed the map in Windows and it all worked fine. Just caught us out for a while - which is why I posted, as I thought it might catch other folk, too.
heruca wrote:I'll try to get audio to work more reliably on the first try.
That would be neat - it's not something I would use often, but it's generally only worth having something at all if it works reliably.
heruca wrote:Thanks for the testing and report, Balesir. You're one of the few people keeping this project moving forward.
:oops: Well, of all of the VTT apps I have seen BRPG is the only one that might fit all of my needs going into my dotage, as travelling long distances to get a game becomes problematic due to decrepitude... :lol:

Keep up the good work - and please do try to be disciplined about adding new stuff before all the kinks are out of the old! :twisted:
Balesir

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:48 am

Balesir, can we mark this as fixed, as of v1.0.1?

Balesir
General

Post by Balesir » Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:20 am

That's a definite maybe :twisted:

I think it's OK, but I'll confirm after tomorrow's session.
Balesir

Balesir
General

Post by Balesir » Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:57 pm

Yep - this one is dead :D We went through a complete session tonight and had no problems with it at all.

We did have a few other issues, but I'll report them separately.
Balesir