send audio issues [FIXED]

An archive for tracking bugs that have already been fixed
Tlichie
Captain

send audio issues [FIXED]

Post by Tlichie » Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:32 pm

Okay, was playing around with some things, wanted to test some audio. It ended up becoming an exercise in futility, as while it would play in the GM copy, it wouldn't play nearly all the time in the player copy (this is on my other computer). This applied both to the files that come with the program and one that I added (.wav). Now, most of the time it gave a Director Player error in the player screen, but sometimes it didn't and there would just be silence. The *one* time it did actually play I think I may have given my husband a heart attack (I heard him stop playing *his* game) because it was the glass crash audio, and I had inadvertently turned up the speakers fairly loud :oops: Anyway, tried several, mostly to no avail.

(My attempt at sending a visual did work, but I only tried once.)
--Tlichie

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:47 pm

Weird, I'm sure it was working fine before. I'll test this out on Saturday, when I get back home. It's possible I broke something with my last-minute changes prior to compiling v1.0.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:33 am

Well at least we have proof that the sound effects are convincing ;-)

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:41 pm

Just got that when Tlichie tried to send me audio. (She was hosting).

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Nov 10, 2006 6:14 pm

"Member 6 of castlib2" is a placeholder slot for receiving any new audio clips. Once it's there, I copy it to its own place in the multimedia asset library (User Cast.cxt") and reuse the placeholder.

I'll need to test for what parameter is coming up invalid. It may well be that only certain audio formats are failing, or only those with certain compression schemes. Or is this happening every single time, regardless of the sound effect played?
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Fri Nov 10, 2006 6:22 pm

She only tried it once for me. I don't know what she tried to send.

Tlichie
Captain

Post by Tlichie » Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:51 pm

it was a .wav file that I had gotten from off the web for a certain monster I've created *G*. So it's not (probably) an audio previously loaded. However, when I was trying it with myself on my other computer I *was* trying the sounds that came with the game, and aside from the glass crashing, nothing played. Half the time it came up with the above error, the other half simply nothing happened.

I'd be happy to test it out some more.
--Tlichie

mahhand
Captain

Post by mahhand » Sat Nov 11, 2006 2:40 pm

I have been able to send the axe swing sound. Didn't try the other effects, I did try sending an mp3 file for mood music to a buddy who was connected over the net. It was a large file at about 8 megs. It didn't seem to send, and it never played, we waited a long time too.

Mahhand

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Nov 11, 2006 2:46 pm

I'm not even sure if MP3 format is supported yet (but it will be). It might be just WAV and AIF format, for now.

Has anyone successfully played an MP3 or AU format file in BRPG?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:08 pm

mahhand wrote:I did try sending an mp3 file for mood music to a buddy who was connected over the net. It was a large file at about 8 megs. It didn't seem to send, and it never played, we waited a long time too.
Note that files over 2 MBs will always fail to transmit. This max file size applies to audio clips, tokens, and visual aids.

Maps are the only media that have a workaround in place to allow for larger sizes, and are thus not subject to this 2 MB limit (they are sent in small chunks, which are reassembled on the receiving client end).

Tlichie
Captain

Post by Tlichie » Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:48 am

okay...I decided to give my scenario an in-house test and it's working pretty well, using trees for masking (though if I don't click on their center they jump *G* ) has worked well, and decided as long as I was doing this I'd go through and see what audios *do* work for me. if I don't say that they work and don't say that there's an error, then they simply didn't play on the "player" side.

Vocals:
cow- worked

well...okay...strange phenomenon. the angry monster, and cheetah did *not* work, then I previewed the cow, that did work, so I went back to try the angry monster and cheetah again and they *do* work now... continuing on...

okay, everything *except* the one I added to the Vocals now work. the file is 9 KB, so not too large, if I remember correctly, a .wav file and also does not work even if the file is added into the player side folder.

under combat, the splashing gore and sword drawn worked, but initally lighting and axe hit did not, but after the gore and sword worked, the other two came through fine.

In any case, even other files that I downloaded are now...for whatever reason...working other than a few, and it could be that there's something about the files themselves (the ones that seem to not be working I think are all from the same source). What seemed to trigger it is playing some previews on the GM side, and/or finding a sound file that *did* play, then go back and play the other.

So the short-term workaround could simply be...GMs play previews.
(also, clicking "no" when the script error comes up did abruptly shut the program down LOL)

Anyway, that's my attempt at being helpful for the day and now I'm going to bed! :)
--Tlichie

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Nov 17, 2006 2:06 am

Regarding your trees snapping out of position, there are a couple of ways to avoid this. One is to lock the trees into place once you've got them where you want them. The other is to turn off snap-to-grid [X hotkey] before you click on them to select them.

As for the sounds playing or not on the player client, try clicking on the volume slider just prior to sending the clip. It could be that the sounds WERE playing on the player client but at a volume of zero. Or perhaps things aren't playing on the first send, but play fine on subsequent sends. I'll try to dig into this more, soon.

Please send me your 8K WAV file, so I can check it to see if it's using some unsupported audio compression scheme. If it is, I'll be glad to convert it for you and send it back to you.

Oh, and clicking "No" after an error report is basically saying "quit the app". Very often you can just click "Yes" after an error and continue playing with no ill effects.

Tlichie
Captain

Post by Tlichie » Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:41 am

yeah, I usually hit yes, but wasn't paying attention that one time *G*

Yeah, I forgot to mention that I did play with the audio too, but I think only after I was starting to get the sounds to play (the lion kind of freaked out my cat LOL).

Anyway, though others could use the info to see if it works for them and report back to you :)

I'll send the file, I have other simmilar ones so it's not a big deal, but may be useful for you anyway to see what the problem might be.
--Tlichie

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:37 pm

This turned out to be a case of incompatible compression on the audio file. I opened the troublesome sound file in a sound app (there are many free ones available for download) and I exported it without the MPG3 compression. The resulting file plays and transfers just fine in BRPG.

Tlichie
Captain

Post by Tlichie » Fri Nov 17, 2006 7:09 pm

Yup, as heruca says, works fine. One of the interesting things (so folks don't try this and think it's a separate problem) is that it *would* play fine in the player client if I just opened and messed around *and* would send *to* my licensed copy if I hosted on my unlicensed copy.

So...even if it seems to play fine one "direction" but not the other, it can still be incompatable compression. Guess this is an example of "don't try to understand it, just know what to do about it for me :lol: But that's all I need!
--Tlichie

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Nov 17, 2006 7:36 pm

It's not all that hard to understand, Tlichie. The fact that you had already imported the audio file into your licensed copy is what allowed it to play fine when you hosted from your unlicensed copy. BRPG realized that it already had the sound it needed, so no transmission of the sound file was required.