Bug: Dragged Units Move After Release (RC2a) [FIXED]

An archive for tracking bugs that have already been fixed
Nom
Sergeant

Bug: Dragged Units Move After Release (RC2a) [FIXED]

Post by Nom » Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:05 am

OS X 10.4.7

Often, if I move the mouse very soon after releasing the mouse button when drag-moving a figure the figure will step one or two squares, generally either up or left.

I had a 15x15 figure (which only moved up or left) and a 5x5 figure (which occasionally moved down also).

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:54 am

I suggest not moving the mouse immediately upon release of a unit drag, to prevent this. Give it a moment to snap into place, then move the mouse.

Over time, as I optimize the code, this should no longer be an issue.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Nom
Sergeant

Post by Nom » Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:18 pm

Ideally, a tile-based drag&drop display should base the final position on the currently rendered position when the mouse is released, not the mouse position. Of course, this assumes that you find out about mouse release in a timely manner, which is not always the case.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:21 pm

Agreed, that bit of code still needs a little tweaking.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Fri Sep 29, 2006 5:26 pm

Venger wrote:I am trying to search thru all the bugs to see if what Im having is already posted to avoid duplications.

Would this be the same thing as what I am experiencing...

I can right click and place a figure on a hex grid

Then when I try to move the figure, the figure many times will hop around the hex I am trying to place it into.

Then, many times (meaning more times than not) when I do get the figure placed, the figure will hop back out of the hex usually about two or so hexes below where I dropped it.
heruca wrote:There's a problem with the snapping code. It's what I'm currently working on to fix for v1.0. It seems to only happen after the map has been scrolled.

The admitedly-lame workaround: You can use the drag method to at least get close to where you want to go, and then tweak any mis-snaps into the proper place using the number keys.

BTW, this is not the same issue that was being discussed here. This thread might have been a better place to post this.

But don't worry about it. If you post something in the wrong place, a moderator will simply move it; and if it's something that's already been brought up, I still prefer that to folks not posting at all. :)

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:27 pm

Heh, and I guess sometimes things go wrong while moving a post. :oops: :lol:

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Sat Sep 30, 2006 3:21 am

You can't move a post from one thread to another in phpBB2, merely split posts into new threads. ;-)

That's a feature I'm looking forward to in phpBB3 though.

Dormouse
General

Post by Dormouse » Sat Sep 30, 2006 7:03 am

'Split thread' then 'merge thread'. Definitely not as easy or intuitive as 'move post'.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Sat Sep 30, 2006 7:17 am

Heheh well if you find a "merge thread" feature in phpBB2, be sure to tell me ;-)

As I was saying, that's coming in phpBB3, which mainly focuses on improving the administrator / moderator aspects of the forum.