Useability: OS X Window Size [FIXED]

An archive for tracking bugs that have already been fixed
Nom
Sergeant

Useability: OS X Window Size [FIXED]

Post by Nom » Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:41 am

OS X 10.4.7

Upon starting, Battlegrounds' window expands to take over my entire monitor. This usually isn't the behaviour I want from a program. Worse, I could not find any preference to suppress it.

It also creates scrolling problems with the dock. If I try to access the dock (auto-hide, bottom of monitor) while BG is in the foreground BG tries to scroll away.

In general, the only time I want a windowed app to auto-scroll is if I'm currently dragging something and I deliberately linger in a hot-zone at the window edge. Otherwise, I'd rather the manual control provided by scroll bars.

Nom
Sergeant

Post by Nom » Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:13 am

There seems to be overlap between this issue and the issues discussed in the thread on mouse scrolling. Both seem to be about features that arise when having BG take over the entire monitor with a single window isn't the preferred behaviour.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:29 am

Some good points.

In your opinion, what size should the map window be when you first launch BRPG? The minimum supported size of 1024 x 768? Where? Top left corner, or centered?

The way it is now is because I figured I'd save the user the task of manually resizing the window to fill the screen. If people have a problem with that, I'll change it.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Nom
Sergeant

Post by Nom » Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:37 am

My expectation is that the window opens to the minimum supported size, and either centered or top left. Games with fixed-sized windows often do centered, but most windowed apps (games or otherwise) do top left, so I'd suggest defaulting to top-left.

My biggest concern was that I couldn't uncheck the pref that said "automatically resize window to fill screen".

Well designed Mac applications try to reopen windows at whatever size and location they were last closed, moving or resizing if this puts the window somewhere silly. Acceptable compromises include a "min size or full screen" toggle, or some way to set a desired size (and it scales down to fit the screen if this is too big).

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:28 pm

BRPG does remember the last window position and will now adjust automatically to avoid being offscreen when loaded.

I've never had a problem resizing or maximizing BRPG in Windows, though as heruca has said elsewhere, you should try to avoid maximizing since this will cause problems with mouse-dragging and scrolling.

What is your computer's resolution? Is it is higher than 1024x768?
If it's not higher, then it's no big suprise that BRPG takes up your full screen since that's the minimum resolution.

Richard Weimer
Soldier

Post by Richard Weimer » Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:32 pm

Typically, I expect functionality of a program which allows me to configure my particular installation to either:

(1) Open up in full-screen mode, or
(2) Open up in a window, with a resolution that I have previously selected.

This is typically done by opening up a Configuration/Setup window via a "Config" menu option or button.

That kind of functionality is typical of most PC games that I run. The key is that I, as a user, can configure the application to the graphics settings that I want and the program uses them from session to session.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:35 pm

Agreed ;-)

heruca said he that he does intend to add a full screen mode.

Due to incomplete development, he had to choose between focusing on full-screen or windowed, and the latter was the obvious choice for beta-testing.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Mon Dec 18, 2006 2:45 am

--- Marked Fixed ---

Several fixes to the mouse scrolling issue have been introduced.

Additionally, BRPG remembers the last window size and now has a toggle fullscreen option in the menu.