Tester ID: dragonwolf
Tester Location: Boise, Idaho

Hardware

Computer 1
Make: HP NW8240 laptop
CPU: 1.86 GHz Pentium
RAM: 1.5 GB
Hard Drive: 80 GB
Sound Card: Integrated onboard audio (SoundMax Digital Audio)
Video Card: ATI Mobility FireGL V5000 128MB RAM
Monitor:HP 2335 23"
Resolution:1920 x 1200 @ 32 bit color, 96DPI, 72Hz

Computer 2
Make: HP Pavilion ZV6000 laptop
CPU: 2.4GHz AMD64 4000+
RAM: 1.25 GB
Hard Drive: 80 GB
Sound Card: Integrated onboard audio (Conexant AC-Link Audio)
Video Card: ATI Mobility Radeon Xpress 200M 128MB RAM
Monitor:Laptop monitor
Resolution:1280 x 800 @ 32 bit color, 96DPI, 60Hz

Software
Operating System: MS Windows XP Professional, version 2002, service pack 2
BRPG Client: Beta 1.0

Networking
Connection: Cable
Wireless: Yes
Defect: The "?" key does not provide a help dialog, but the "/" key does.

Description: The keycode to display the help dialog is for the "/" key and not the "?" key which is the same physical key, but requires using the shift key as well.
_________
dragonwolf

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Dec 25, 2005 1:07 pm

dragonwolf wrote:Defect: The "?" key does not provide a help dialog, but the "/" key does.

Description: The keycode to display the help dialog is for the "/" key and not the "?" key which is the same physical key, but requires using the shift key as well.
Hotkeys are defined in the User Manual as keys which do not require the use of any modifier keys, such as SHIFT, ALT, CONTROL, OPTION, etc.

So while technically you would have to press the SHIFT key to get a question mark if you were typing something, for BRPG's purposes, it's easier for people to remember that "?" is for the Help Screen than it would be to remember the "/" key.

In the future, if BRPG supports zooming, I will probably use "-" and "+" as hotkeys for changing the zoom level, since that's easier to remember than "-" and "=".
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

dragonwolf
Cannon Fodder

Post by dragonwolf » Sun Dec 25, 2005 11:35 pm

heruca wrote:
dragonwolf wrote:Defect: The "?" key does not provide a help dialog, but the "/" key does.

Hotkeys are defined in the User Manual as keys which do not require the use of any modifier keys, such as SHIFT, ALT, CONTROL, OPTION, etc.

So while technically you would have to press the SHIFT key to get a question mark if you were typing something, for BRPG's purposes, it's easier for people to remember that "?" is for the Help Screen than it would be to remember the "/" key.

In the future, if BRPG supports zooming, I will probably use "-" and "+" as hotkeys for changing the zoom level, since that's easier to remember than "-" and "=".
You'd be surprised the number of people that take things literally though. I work in software development myself and have worked with our human factors and usability group on these type of issues. I would expect that those who'd be using BRPG would be a bit more computer literate, but thought I 'd bring it to your attention anyway.
_________
dragonwolf

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Dec 25, 2005 11:53 pm

Here's an idea: I'll program both combinations ("?" and "SHIFT-/") to open the Help screen. That should be pretty idiot-proof. :)
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Kepli
High Commander

Post by Kepli » Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:44 am

Update for version 1.03

Both version work :D
Issue resolved