BUG: Failed Hosting (RC2-PR) [Legacy]

An archive for tracking bugs that have already been fixed
Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:53 am

Dormouse wrote:Once you reach release versions, you will probably need to prduce a converter if there are any more changes in the Encounter format.
Yep I agree. As I said once before, I could probably make a webpage (or flash app) for that if I knew the changes in detail.

Another posibility is just to have BRPG automatically add a default value for all encounters missing the new variable.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:00 am

Default values will probably be the way to go.

I wanted to let you know that hosting and joining of games is proving to be 100% reliable with the revised multiuser code. Of course that's in my controlled environment. It still needs testing in the real world. Perhaps tomorrow we can do our little tests...
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Dormouse
General

Post by Dormouse » Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:34 am

heruca wrote:I wanted to let you know that hosting and joining of games is proving to be 100% reliable with the revised multiuser code. Of course that's in my controlled environment. It still needs testing in the real world. Perhaps tomorrow we can do our little tests...
Brilliant. :)
I'm around most of the time, so I can do it any day.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:08 pm

If you can't seem to host with RC2a, try this to see if your chosen port is blocked.

http://www.canyouseeme.org/

Let me know what you find.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:16 pm

In my tests, it was unable to see port 1626 until I had port-forwarding properly set AND I was actually hosting a game.

So nevermind, this won't help you getting hosting to work. But it might help diagnose stuff if your players are having a hard time connecting, so I'll leave the link up.

Dormouse
General

Post by Dormouse » Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:18 pm

heruca wrote:In my tests, it was unable to see port 1626 until I had port-forwarding properly set AND I was actually hosting a game..
Yes. I would expect my firewall to block anything that had not been legitimately initiated by a program of mine. I'm not totally sure it will be seen even if I am hosting successfully on the network. I will check with RC1 tomorrow.

Dormouse
General

Post by Dormouse » Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:19 pm

Question for Weezoh.

Am I right in thinking that you too can host with RC1, but not with RC2?
Last edited by Dormouse on Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:32 pm

I may have stumbled today onto something that changed between RC1 and RC2, that could potentially be causing you this problem.

By any chance, do the affected computers NOT have internet access, or have it blocked by a firewall? Because there's some code being executed in RC2 when BRPG first launches that tries to pull the latest "goMu.dcr" file from a server (that's the file that controls multiuser connections and messaging). If it fails to reach the server, it may be disabling all the multiuser code, hence your inability to host or connect.

I was only using that server-check code during development, and meant to take it out prior to compiling RC2 and RC2a, but I forgot to do so. I've now taken out that code for v1.0.

Dormouse
General

Post by Dormouse » Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:16 pm

heruca wrote:By any chance, do the affected computers NOT have internet access, or have it blocked by a firewall?
All the computers have internet access. All are protected by firewalls - but they are set up to allow BRPG RC2 as well as RC1; permissions same for both. Have tried without firewalls too - but it made no difference.

Dormouse
General

Post by Dormouse » Sun Aug 13, 2006 7:16 pm

As far as I can see, when I try to host with RC1 it opens the port (into listening state).
When I do the same with RC2, no port is opened.

Weezoh
General

Post by Weezoh » Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:22 pm

I think I was able to host with RC 1 -- I never upgraded to it because of the pre-planned encounters in my campaign (although I think I did test with it once). I was hosting regularly with 1.0.9a
and still can.

All computers have internet connectivity when I try to host.
Macbook Pro
Intel iMac
Mac os 10.5.4

--
Weezoh

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:43 pm

Dormouse, Weezoh, can you host games OK now with v1.0? Is this issue fixed?

Dormouse
General

Post by Dormouse » Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:38 pm

I'm afraid that I haven't even downloaded v1.0 yet.

for a number of reasons:-
1. My main computer has debveloped an intermittent hardware fault which is likely to take me some calender time to sort (trying one thing at a time and waiting to see if it makes a difference). I bought a new computer (gave me a chance to try out a core2duo) but will go back to my old one once I have it sorted & so don't want to get a new reg No. etc.
2. Am very busy atm; too many deadlines for the beginning of last week/month/quarter still to be met.
3. Still sorting out new computer to make it 'usable'.
4. Given the above, I thought I'd wait a few days to see if there were any early bugs and updates.
5. I have every confidence that this bug has been overcome since my 'current' version works. Though now I'm starting to doubt it, so I'd better check (at least once you are back).

I am quite keen to see all the new features when I have a chance.

Weezoh
General

Post by Weezoh » Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:24 am

I haven't downloaded it either yet; I'll do a test tomorrow.

(my campaign is on hiatus)
Macbook Pro
Intel iMac
Mac os 10.5.4

--
Weezoh

Weezoh
General

Post by Weezoh » Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:48 am

I just tried to host a game and I think it's behaving the same way it was in rc2.

I put in my name, check host and click connect and I just get the establishing connection window forever.

This is on my macbook pro; i'll try on an older machine tomorrow.

ETA: I tried it on my g4 933 desktop (10.4.8 ) this morning and it gets to the chat window and appears to initiate a session normally.

I'm thinking dmisrafel and I are still in the same boat unless he got his working since.
Macbook Pro
Intel iMac
Mac os 10.5.4

--
Weezoh

Gwindel
Captain

Post by Gwindel » Sat Nov 04, 2006 9:42 pm

Weezoh wrote:I just tried to host a game and I think it's behaving the same way it was in rc2.

I put in my name, check host and click connect and I just get the establishing connection window forever.
Same thing here on my Powerbook. It could come from the network settings. Tough as I don't really want to set a network, any idea avoiding messing with settings should be welcome (I want to use two instances on the same computer to display the situation to the players on an external screen...).
More people are driven insane through religious hysteria than by drinking alcohol. — W. C. Fields

Tlichie
Captain

Post by Tlichie » Sun Nov 05, 2006 12:08 am

Okay, I doubt this will help much, but I will give my experience just in case it inspires some more ideas on things to try.

Our setup at home is as follows...an old mostly-broken Dell that my husband uses to browse and read e-mail, works fine for that, his X-Box, my Daktech (off brand) windows "main" computer, and my laptop. DSL and router. Xbox, main computer and Dell hard wired into router, laptop wireless.

My GM BGRPG is on my laptop, with another copy on my main computer for testing stuff. I *did* have a port forwarding issue. If I connected (via the appropriate wiring) my laptop to the router (and used the internal IP) I could connect the main computer (player copy) to the hosting copy, but not if I was attempting to do it wirelessly. Going into the router setup and establishing the port forwarding (according to this thread http://www.battlegroundsgames.com/phpBB ... ing+router ) solved the problem, internally at least, have yet to try it with a computer outside the house (though that will probably happen later tonight).

Now, I could always *establish* a connection with either program, they just couldn't "find" each other. so in that way it's a lot different than this problem, but maybe what I did or some other things in that thread would give some ideas of things to try and rule in or out before heruca gets back. I'm no network wiz, so the above is all I can offer, sorry!

~~added below

Okay, tried to connect with the main person I intend to use the program with, and she could not connect with me. Does have the current version (just dl it today), is behind a router, SMC variety, hard wired to it, we did some digging on the web and figured out how to do port forwarding just in case, and she still cannot connect, it just hangs at the "connecting...please wait" screen (I couldn't connect to her either, though didn't try it again after messing with the router) (as an additional note, if you change IP addresses without shutting the program down, the program crashes). She is also running windows, XP I'm pretty sure, regularly checks for firewall issues, etc. so it *seems* like there really shouldn't be a problem at all. We *didn't* (being in the middle of something else too) try after rebooting both computers but will give that a shot tomorrow. (and I'll report back).

Trying to think of anything else...oh, tried internal IP as well as the external "just in case".

My setup is such that I *could* wire directly into my modem to test things, but I think she doesn't have the ability to do that (I'll double check with her tomorrow). We hadn't tried connecting before today either, so can't compare there. Oh, and she could "establish" a connection when she tried hosting, but again...we couldn't "find" each other. Which makes it hard to play :?
--Tlichie

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:04 am

I have a similar home network as Tlichie, though I have more wireless computers. Last time I tried connecting wirelessly way back in RC1 orso, it didn't work. I've never had troubles with online play though.

I haven't tested hosting yet in v1.0
Perhaps I'll catch Tlichie on later to do some testing. We missed eachother last time.

Dormouse
General

Post by Dormouse » Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:27 am

Downloaded v1.0 and it seems to set up properly as a GM. Haven't tested that hosting actually works yet.

We have a mixed wired & wireless network with router assigning IPs and never had any problem with the computers connecting wirelessly.

Is it possible that the people still with problems are mainly running Macs? Apart from Tlichie & friends.

Balesir
General

Post by Balesir » Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:41 am

We have in internal (ethernet) network with a router acting as DHCP and DSL modem, and (as reported in 'First Live Run' thread) we successfully connected 2 folk on the LAN and two over the internet to my hosting machine (on the LAN) last week. Other than giving assurance that it can work, I don't have too much to add, I'm afraid. The only thing to watch is that firewalls in both PC and router may need to be set for access on the appropriate port, and port forwarding with DHCP can be problematic.
Balesir

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:50 am

I did some testing with Tlichie yesterday.

After I disconnected by router, she was able to join my game, but she was unable to join while it was connected (even with port forwarding).

I wasn't able to join her game with her router connected either. We haven't yet tested joining her game without her router.

I noticed several bugs though. It seems that the Failed Disconnect / Subsequent Logins bug is back or never was fixed, since I had to restart BRPG every time I tried hosting a new game or simply disconnecting.
http://www.battlegroundsgames.com/phpBB ... .php?t=650

http://www.battlegroundsgames.com/phpBB ... .php?t=652

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:14 pm

We just tested some more.

With both of our routers disconnected and all of her firewalls off, I still was not able to join Tlichie's game.

She called her ISP and they said that they had no additional firewalls on their end. It is interesting to note though that she has DSL whereas I have cable. The company recommended configuring the modem for PPPoE. She hasn't tried that yet.

Tlichie
Captain

Post by Tlichie » Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:52 pm

Yeah, the instructions I got wasn't precice, and I may have to try something else and reset it again, but *supposedly* the DSL modem is now set to bridge with the router, which the person at the ISP place said should solve the problem. Though I can't be certain that the "cannot connect even with directly plugged into the router" part got across.

I do find it interesting though that when I was wireless I *could* connect with Omnidon at first until another router was brought into play. Unfortunately I have two choices for internet here...dialup with this company and dsl with this company :P
--Tlichie

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:17 pm

I'll be sure to give the networking code a thorough going over when I get back. Seems too many people are having problems.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:21 am

Tlichie wrote:I do find it interesting though that when I was wireless I *could* connect with Omnidon at first until another router was brought into play. Unfortunately I have two choices for internet here...dialup with this company and dsl with this company :P
Well, clearly the only thing stopping you from joining my game is my router. It worked fine when I disconnected it, even when you had your router on.

I couldn't join your game no matter what though, even with no routers plugged in.

We'll try testing your network again though now that you've 'bridged' it, though that indeed doesnt sound like it will help.