BUG: Failed Hosting (RC2-PR) [Legacy]

An archive for tracking bugs that have already been fixed
Tlichie
Captain

Post by Tlichie » Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:48 pm

Testing now and we're connected! Yay! we're both behind routers and I'm definately wireless so adding a "bridge" to my DSL modem setup *seems* to have done the trick. I did also change the firewall setting on it from "low" to "none", so that may have been part of the problem.

So...for folks on DSL, you may need to contact your ISP to find out how to "bridge" your modem (note modem, not router). But at the moment one person at least can connect with me :D
--Tlichie

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:20 pm

mahhand wrote:So far I have had no problems with people connecting to me. Both on my internal network, wirelessly, and also over the net. My main machine is a highend gaming laptop, and I connect to my dlink router wirelessly with a strong 54 mbits connection. I have port 1626 forwarded also.
--- Original post moved to clubhouse by Omni ---

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:00 pm

I'm glad you got it working, Tlichie. :D

I have no idea what it means to "bridge" your modem. Sounds like something the ISP has to do, not hardware you added on your end. I'd like to hear more about this, since it may help others who have been having trouble connecting.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:59 pm

Well, this is the technology behind it:

Point-to-Point Protocol over Ethernet

I've never had DSL so I don't know much about it.

Tlichie
Captain

Post by Tlichie » Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:02 pm

they didn't exactly explain *what* it was, and I wasn't sure if I had someone who really knew what they were doing or just going off a script so I didn't ask :lol: However, this is generally what they had me do, I imagine the proceedure would be slightly different for different modems:

Connect directly with the modem. This means bypass your router and plug directly in. If you've ever used an IP to connect with your router to configure it, (which if you've done port forwarding, you've done) use the same IP to access the modem configuration.

Go into the configuration. Now, I was told to change the PPPoE to Bridge, but when I actually got in there, it already *had* several things set to "Bridge" and I just needed to check "enable" (I have a vague memory of one one other thing before saving). I believe the modem reset at that point. I also needed to set DHCP to "off".

The one additional thing that I did was move the "firewall" option from "low" to "off". I haven't moved it back to "low" so I don't know if that was interfering at all. (I figure on Low, it probably wasn't and probably wasn't doing much at all anyway.)

I was told go do Start-Run and type in ipconfig/release which when I did brought up an error, so I just tried ipconfig which didn't bring up anything, but hey, I can still connect to the internet and got Omnidon connected to my copy of BG so I'm not going to complain.

I was told that my router would also need to be reconfigured for PPPoE, which it seemed it already was (don't know if it reconfigured itself or if it was already set that way to begin with, I don't remember because I never really paid attention). To do that, it was go into the IP for it once you're connected through the router and no longer directly with your modem, go to connection type and change (or make sure it's at) PPPoE and that "keep alive" is on, save, power cycle, go back in and make sure under "status" it says connected and if so you're good.

This is with a DSL modem and a connection where if I'm connected directly through the modem itself, I have to use the connection application to put in my username and password.

The knowledge that one can connect with their modem the same way they can their router was something I did not have and I'm sure could be useful for others. ISPs should be able to help with that or folks can check to see if their modem manufacterer has something online. I haven't checked if mine does.

So does that help it be clear as mud? Obviously the "bridge" allows access in somehow that's different.
--Tlichie

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:16 pm

LoL well you changed so much at once, it's hard to know exactly what fixed it.
Tlichie wrote:I also needed to set DHCP to "off".
DHCP has been known to cause problems with this sort of thing, but that probably wasn't the culprit since you werent able to host even with the router disconnected before.

I may want to try hosting with DHCP off on my own router to see if that works. I can't use that long term since it tends to screw up other things due to my router being rather outdated.
Tlichie wrote:The one additional thing that I did was move the "firewall" option from "low" to "off".
And of course that could've done it ;-)
You told me beforehand that all your firewalls were off.

We can test that further later if you want, but you're connected now so that's the important thing.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:57 pm

Thanks for the "explanation", Tlichie. :lol:

I don't encourage anyone to keep their firewalls down for long periods of time. Especially Windows users.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Tlichie
Captain

Post by Tlichie » Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:22 pm

I had been told previously by my ISP, by several people from them in fact, that the router didn't *have* any firewall in it. So I was somewhat surprised when I saw the setting. Love it when a place knows the equipment they're using. But then I guess I'm kind of surprised that I actually got instructions to help connect, given that I have *also* been told repeatedly that *all* they are required to do is be sure that *one* computer in the house can connect with the internet. Nothing else. Great attitude, eh?

Just tried some internal testing on other things and need to give bug reports...but those belong elsewhere *G*
--Tlichie

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:43 pm

We just tested with her firewall set to "Low" and I was still able to connect, so clearly it was this PPPoE thing that did the trick ;-)

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Nov 10, 2006 6:16 pm

That's good news, and good to know for future reference. Thanks for the report.