BUG: Failed Hosting (RC2-PR) [Legacy]

An archive for tracking bugs that have already been fixed
Omnidon
Site Admin

BUG: Failed Hosting (RC2-PR) [Legacy]

Post by Omnidon » Sat Jul 22, 2006 4:00 pm

I've had this a couple times in the RC2 Pre-release (non-public)

I will load BRPG, go to the login panel, and try to host a game. It will claim success and the chat tab will open, but the normal text messages ("Now hosting at...") will not appear.

If I open the login panel again, the Disconnect button is still greyed out and the Login button is not. If I try to rehost using the login button, BRPG crashes.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Sat Jul 22, 2006 4:24 pm

This happens most when I try hosting *after* opening two instances of BRPG, and might be caused by the CPU Usage bug.

Weezoh
General

Post by Weezoh » Sat Jul 22, 2006 6:40 pm

This may be related

when I was using 1.0.9a and timed out when I relaunched the program and tried to log in it would act as you described but I wouldn't see the ip address if I clicked the ip button it would show the external IP not the internal one.
Players couldn't connect with this.

Once I quit and relaunched again it would properly show the internal ip address and everyone could connect again. I believe this only happened if the GM client timed out. If I quit when a player timed out before me and restarted it would behave fine.
Macbook Pro
Intel iMac
Mac os 10.5.4

--
Weezoh

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Sat Jul 22, 2006 6:52 pm

The IP button is supposed to show the external IP address; that's what it is for. People who are using the internet and not a local network need to use the external IP.

What you described sounds like a different bug to me, since the bug I was describing was about a failure at opening a new game for people to join, not reconnecting.

Also, I never encountered this bug before RC2-PR

The symptom of the two bugs (chat box not displaying connection info) sounds similar but I think it was caused by a different thing in each case.

Weezoh
General

Post by Weezoh » Sat Jul 22, 2006 10:18 pm

Well the IP button always shows me the internal IP address when it's working normally. no one will be able to connect when it's showing the external after a timeout. I don't think there's a difference between connecting after a time out and connecting for the first time.
Macbook Pro
Intel iMac
Mac os 10.5.4

--
Weezoh

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Sun Jul 23, 2006 12:44 pm

Weezoh wrote:Well the IP button always shows me the internal IP address when it's working normally.
Hmm well then it's not working properly for you normally :lol:

The text message "Now host at..." in the chat box is supposed to tell your internal IP, and the IP button is supposed to find your external IP.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Jul 23, 2006 1:16 pm

These should be one and the same, if you don't have a router.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Jul 29, 2006 2:39 pm

Hosting seems to be failing when the processor is under a heavy load. I regularly fail if I have a light glow animation deployed, for example, or if FoW is on. I suspect faster computers than mine might not have this problem.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Sat Jul 29, 2006 4:16 pm

heruca wrote:Hosting seems to be failing when the processor is under a heavy load. I regularly fail if I have a light glow animation deployed, for example, or if FoW is on. I suspect faster computers than mine might not have this problem.
Yeah, I thought this was related to the CPU Usage bug. Now that it's fixed (in RC2 public) I should have no problem, since I never taxed by CPU in RC1.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:57 pm

I can still get this bug with two instances of BRPG running in RC2, since there are still some CPU usage problems. It's not as easy to cause as before though.

Weezoh
General

Post by Weezoh » Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:57 pm

Just downloaded RC2

I cannot host on my macbook pro 17 - CPU Usage approx 20% at the time

I don't get the hosting message chat window opens but not really connected

I can host on my ibook G4 - CPU usage appx 60 - 80%

hosting message appears chat window behaves as normal.
Macbook Pro
Intel iMac
Mac os 10.5.4

--
Weezoh

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:17 pm

Have you tried tweaking the INI file, as described in this thread?

http://www.battlegroundsgames.com/phpBB ... .php?t=647

If that doesn't work, try moving it to another folder temporarily and then launching BRPG.

Weezoh
General

Post by Weezoh » Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:43 pm

I modified the SleepTime in the ini file and still didn't work - tried 50, 25, and 10.

I moved the ini file to the desktop and relaunched and still the same.
Macbook Pro
Intel iMac
Mac os 10.5.4

--
Weezoh

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:51 pm

You're the second person to report an inability to host using RC2, who had no problem hosting with RC1 on the same network and computer configuration. I'm going to dig into this and see what can be done.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Aug 05, 2006 3:50 pm

Dormouse and Weezoh: Would you two be available for testing a new patch sometime tomorrow that should fix your hosting and connection woes?

Dormouse
General

Post by Dormouse » Sat Aug 05, 2006 4:08 pm

heruca wrote:Dormouse and Weezoh: Would you two be available for testing a new patch sometime tomorrow that should fix your hosting and connection woes?
Oh yes. :) And yes. :D

Did I say yes?? :?

Weezoh
General

Post by Weezoh » Sun Aug 06, 2006 12:17 am

I should be available tomorrow evening (Eastern Time) I have a gig in the afternoon but after that I should be OK.
Macbook Pro
Intel iMac
Mac os 10.5.4

--
Weezoh

Dormouse
General

Post by Dormouse » Sun Aug 06, 2006 4:24 am

I'm in the UK, so I'm running 5 hours ahead of Weezoh.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:55 am

No problem, you don't need to test at the same time. FYI, I'm still at least several hours away from having something to test.

Tlichie
Captain

Post by Tlichie » Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:45 pm

I have also surfaced from the first stage of The Move "quest". It's certainly seemed like a quest. This town sits in a cell phone black hole...so when our phone/dsl wasn't working, had to drive around and find a place that both had a signal *and* was safe to pull over. (I've now found one place in town that I can call from).

Anyway, obviously I'm back online and probably won't be doing much today except recover from the last couple days, so if you need a volunteer/victim, drop an e-mail!
--Tlichie

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:57 pm

Thanks for the offer, Tlichie, but this is just for the people that have been completely unable to host in RC2.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Aug 06, 2006 7:05 pm

After nearly screwing up the multiuser code to the point where I was about to call it quits and revert to RC2, I've managed to fix it and made huge strides today.

Hosting is now very reliable (will verify this with our two guinea pigs, soon).

Players can now attempt to join a game even before the GM has hosted it. It will no longer timeout and send you back to try again. Now it just stays on the "Connecting..." screen until you cancel the attempt. This is most useful for GMs with a static IP address (or some sort of IP-forwarding service).

Players are now warned if the GM disconnects.

Repeated hosting or login attempts, with or without a different username, no longer seem to crash BRPG.

I couldn't get the password verification thing to work, so I'm putting that off for a future update, after v1.0.

Weezoh
General

Post by Weezoh » Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:14 pm

Just shoot me an e-mail when you want me to test. If you did yesterday, I didn't receive it. Or PM me here I check the boards a few times a day.

My campaign is currently on break so I won't be acutally using brpg for a little while, but in the break i'm hoping to get everyone up to RC2 from 109a since I'm out of preplanned encounters.
Macbook Pro
Intel iMac
Mac os 10.5.4

--
Weezoh

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:21 pm

Sorry, I got sidetracked enhancing the FoW feature. If you can wait another day or two, I'll be in a better position to compile a usable build.

Good thing you're out of pre-made Encounters, because the Encounter format is getting modified again, to allow the new FoW info to be saved along with the map.

Dormouse
General

Post by Dormouse » Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:28 am

heruca wrote:Sorry, I got sidetracked enhancing the FoW feature. If you can wait another day or two, I'll be in a better position to compile a usable build.

Good thing you're out of pre-made Encounters, because the Encounter format is getting modified again, to allow the new FoW info to be saved along with the map.
Beter to have these changes before, rather than after. I think I'd get a tad more frustrated with an unusable build. :wink:

Once you reach release versions, you will probably need to prduce a converter if there are any more changes in the Encounter format.