1. Start Making a Figure
2. Press Ok without entering a name
3. Get the "Must Have Unique Name" Warning
4. Enter Unique Name
5. Click Ok OR Cancel
6. Try to make another Figure
7. Click Ok
8. BRPG crashes
Last edited by Omnidon on Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:37 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Mon Jun 05, 2006 4:44 pm

Bug still there in RC1, though it seems to be happening slightly less consistently.

Stuart
Sergeant

Post by Stuart » Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:28 am

I can place up to four figures, give them unique names but any more than this and I get problems with BG crashing.

A fifth token can be placed but I am unable to enter a unique name, without entering a name BG warns me that I must enter a unique name ... and then promptly crashes.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:00 am

That sounds like a new bug to me, possibly combined with the one I mentioned before. We'll see what heruca says.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:44 am

I believe this is resolved in RC2.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Stuart
Sergeant

Post by Stuart » Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:07 pm

Turns out to be a somewhat haphazard fault; two out of five sessions affected.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Re: BUG: Unique Name Crash (RC1)

Post by Omnidon » Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:16 am

Omnidon wrote:1. Start Making a Figure
2. Press Ok without entering a name
3. Get the "Must Have Unique Name" Warning
4. Enter Unique Name
5. Click Ok OR Cancel
6. Try to make another Figure
8. BRPG crashes

Still there in RC2 Pre-Release (non-public)
and annoying as ever.
Last edited by Omnidon on Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:24 am, edited 4 times in total.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:07 am

Please try the following if you have RC2:

Try to recreate the crash following the steps given, but before hitting the OK button with a viable unit name, manually select a setting for base size and token style (don't trust the values shown, and set them yourself).

Let me know if doing so prevents crashing.

Also, am I correct in assuming that between step 4 and step 5 you are hitting the OK button to deploy the figure?
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:27 am

heruca wrote:Try to recreate the crash following the steps given, but before hitting the OK button with a viable unit name, manually select a setting for base size and token style (don't trust the values shown, and set them yourself).

Let me know if doing so prevents crashing.
Nope, doesnt change anything.
heruca wrote:Also, am I correct in assuming that between step 4 and step 5 you are hitting the OK button to deploy the figure?
Not exactly. Either OK or Cancel will still cause the crash when you attempt to place the next figure.
Only Step 2 requires an Ok.
I updated the steps to reflect this.

And to clarify, this crash only occurs when *no* name is entered, not just any non-unique name. I verified that in both RC2-PR and RC1.

Of course, since things default to having no name, it's still a very annoying bug.
If you can't figure out how to fix it yet, perhaps you could have it automatically put something like [Name Here] in that field, or even better, make an auto-incrementing "Orc#5" sort of thing.

(Yeah, I know the auto-increment feature has already been suggested).

Another alternative is using something other than unit names as an index, so that a unique name is not required.

Most databases, such as this forum for example, use a hidden auto-incrementing number to track things such as posts, so that multiple posts and forums can have the same title.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:08 pm

OK, thanks for checking that out.

Would you say that this is one of the major crash-causing bugs in BRPG right now?

I now know how to give each unit a unique reference ID, transparently to the user, so that a unique unit name isn't required. But implementing that will have to wait until after RC2, since it's sort of a major change.

When I do implement it, I'm also going to add the following formating rule to unit names, to affect how unit names show up on the map if the Character Name label is in use:

If the GM names his units like this:
Orc (1)
Orc (2)
Orc (3)

The Players will see just this:
Orc
Orc
Orc

And the GM will see this:
Orc 1
Orc 2
Orc 3

In other words, anything in parenthesis only shows up for the GM. Does that sound useful?

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:19 pm

Very useful!

Imagine also, "Mysterious Figure (Elf King)"

or "Orc Soldier (Bob in Disguise)"
heruca wrote:Would you say that this is one of the major crash-causing bugs in BRPG right now?
Yes.
I can crash it sometimes by playing with the grid settings, but usually I just get unavoidable script errors.
And logging out can still crash the GM client.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:51 pm

The figure-naming scheme described above has been implemented for v1.0.2, except that I had to use square brackets instead of parenthesis for denoting the GM-only part of the unit name.

Example:

If the GM names his units like this:
Orc [1]
Orc [2]
Orc [3]

The Players will see just this on the map if the Character Name labels are on:
Orc
Orc
Orc

And the GM will see this:
Orc (1)
Orc (2)
Orc (3)

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:30 am

Fantasitic!

I take it though that you mean you have just added the hidden naming feature, and not anything that will fix this bug?
Omnidon wrote:perhaps you could have it automatically put something like [Name Here] in that field
I still recommend you do that for 1.0.2 if you're not going to work out something more advanced, since that will virtually eliminate of one of the biggest bugs in BRPG right now.

It can't be that hard to add a default value for the field. For purposes of fixing the bug, any default value will work since the bug only occurs if that field is Null.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:00 am

OK, I've added some code to v1.0.2 that fills in the name field with what should be a unique number if you hit the OK button without having filled in a name for the unit. Will that do it?

Of course, this is just a temporary "band-aid" fix until the next release. The problem is that I can never seem to get this bug to happen to me, for some reason, so I can't figure out what's causing it. I've been through the code dozens of times, and it all checks out. :?

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:00 am

Sounds good :)
That bug was one of the big things that was slowing my testing down, since it's easy to forget to add a name when placing several generic figures.

Maybe it's a windows thing - can't remember if we had mac users with the problem.
It only actually crashed when you attempted to place another unit or something similar, though any encounters saved after that would be corrupted as you've seen.
Does it refresh the list of units every time you place a new one? Perhaps it's finding an instance of the Null unit and can't handle it.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:54 pm

No doubt about it, this is definately a Windows-only problem.

It seems to be related to a bug in the Character Name text field widget, which is an embedded Flash asset (something not made by me, it comes with Director).

I'm fairly sure I can fix it for the next version, now that I know what's causing the problem.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Dec 07, 2006 5:32 am

Fixed for v1.0.2a! No more crashing if you forget to name a unit! :D :D :D

This is what's been holding up the release of v1.0.2a, so expect a release tomorrow, probably in the afternoon (I need sleep first).

By the way, regarding the cause of this nasty crashing bug... it seems my last post was the correct assessment. This was all caused not by a bug in my code (for once!), but by a bug in the Flash Component Text Box that I was using to store the unit name.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:38 pm

Fantastic :D

--- All three threads marked as fixed 1.0.2a ---

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:40 pm

I just had a promising thought. This crashing was being caused by the Flash Component and it only affected Windows users.

The other major crashing issue in BRPG is when rehosting or rejoining a game. I'm thinking that it's no coincidence that the login panel uses the same Flash Component for the text fields, and that the issue only seems to affect Windows PCs. Will have a look.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Dec 11, 2006 6:16 pm

Yup, my hunch was right. Both of the crash-causing bugs have now been fixed for v1.0.2b. :D