Bug: Turn Sequence double-click (Beta 1.09) [FIXED]

An archive for tracking bugs that have already been fixed
Weezoh
General

Bug: Turn Sequence double-click (Beta 1.09) [FIXED]

Post by Weezoh » Wed May 03, 2006 8:14 pm

When I double-click on unit names in the turn sequencer most of the time it works fine; the figure gets blue halo and the client sees "it is x's turn to act"

but as I double-click down the line (about 5 seconds apart) sooner or later the connected client will get a script error

Property not found

#left

mac os 10.4.6
Macbook Pro
Intel iMac
Mac os 10.5.4

--
Weezoh

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed May 03, 2006 8:28 pm

hmm, that might be related to the Preferences setting for where to open the panels (left, right, or center) on your monitor. I've never encountered it before.

Are you always relaunching BRPG after finding a bug? If you click through an error, things might seem to be fine, but they might not be. That can lead to misdiagnosing the cause of a bug.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Weezoh
General

Post by Weezoh » Wed May 03, 2006 8:41 pm

heruca wrote:hmm, that might be related to the Preferences setting for where to open the panels (left, right, or center) on your monitor. I've never encountered it before.

Are you always relaunching BRPG after finding a bug? If you click through an error, things might seem to be fine, but they might not be. That can lead to misdiagnosing the cause of a bug.
yes, I relaunched on both the client and the gm machine between each test.
Macbook Pro
Intel iMac
Mac os 10.5.4

--
Weezoh

Halebop

Post by Halebop » Wed May 03, 2006 11:16 pm

Can't duplicate this in windows yet. Also tried changing prefs between Left, center and right. Still no error.

Weezoh
General

Post by Weezoh » Wed May 03, 2006 11:29 pm

I just thought I'd test this with the sample encounter (first time was with my encounter with the objects and figures) it occurred with the sample encounter after about 3 runs through the 4 figures.
Macbook Pro
Intel iMac
Mac os 10.5.4

--
Weezoh

Halebop

Post by Halebop » Wed May 03, 2006 11:41 pm

Got that to dupliate. Scrolled through each of the 4 creatures, selecting them via the Turn panel and at the end of the 3rd cycle, the 12th selection (the cleric) generated the script error.

Most of the figures also starting vanishing from the player client as I continued to subsequently select them via the turn panel in the GM client.

Moving each figure refreshed it and they all appeared on the player client again.

Halebop

Post by Halebop » Wed May 03, 2006 11:43 pm

...thinking back I've actually experienced exactly this bug twice before, think Version 1.07 and 1.08 but had been battling other bugs at the time and wasn't sure what I was seeing was a stand-alone issue.

Weezoh
General

Post by Weezoh » Wed May 03, 2006 11:43 pm

Halebop wrote:Got that to dupliate. Scrolled through each of the 4 creatures, selecting them via the Turn panel and at the end of the 3rd cycle, the 12th selection (the cleric) generated the script error.

Most of the figures also starting vanishing from the player client as I continued to subsequently select them via the turn panel in the GM client.

Moving each figure refreshed it and they all appeared on the player client again.
I've noticed the figures disappearing as well; hiding and unhiding them will make them reappear also.
Macbook Pro
Intel iMac
Mac os 10.5.4

--
Weezoh

Halebop

Post by Halebop » Wed May 03, 2006 11:58 pm

Deleted 2 of the 4 figs in that encounter and tried again. Error occured on the 16th Selection

Deleted 3 out of 4 figs (Just 1 remaining) and could not generate error (Clicked about 100 times).

Added two new figures to the scenario above, bringing the total to 3 and changed Turn to 1 (defaults to 7 in the encounter). Generated error 14 clicks in.

Can't find any pattern other than it being broke.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu May 04, 2006 12:41 am

This must be the most serious bug yet. Hell of a time to have it pop up. :(

I've got some new debugging code that should help isolate the cause. I think it has to do with sprite assignments getting out of whack.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Weezoh
General

Post by Weezoh » Thu May 04, 2006 9:04 am

yeah, I was unable to find a pattern either.

don't worry heruca - there is no bug that can't be squashed with sufficient mountain dew :)

aside: one of the other programmers I worked with at one time would deliver his estimates in mdu's (mountain dew units).
Macbook Pro
Intel iMac
Mac os 10.5.4

--
Weezoh

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu May 04, 2006 10:04 am

LOL! I should probably measure in cigarettes, then. Filthy habit. Don't do it.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat May 13, 2006 8:18 pm

I think I've found the cause of the "crash while stepping the sequence" bug. It has to do with figure labels being allocated to a non-existent text field. When BRPG tries to adjust the on-screen positions of the text field, it stumbles across the fact that no such field exists, and crashes. That's why Weezoh got that "Property not found: #left" message. So it had nothing to do with panel location preferences, after all. :oops:

Anyway, this should be fixed soon.

Halebop

Post by Halebop » Thu May 18, 2006 2:22 am

Win XP SP2, Beta 1.09a

Unable to replicate the bug but it was complex so not willing to cut it free yet.

Anyone else able to duplicate it?

Kepli
High Commander

Post by Kepli » Sat Jun 03, 2006 5:30 am

Not yet ...

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Mon Dec 18, 2006 2:29 am

-- Marked Fixed --

Haven't heard any complaints about this one in a long time.