Script Error bug and others (v1.4e)

An archive for tracking bugs that have already been fixed
ashaman13
Sergeant

Script Error bug and others (v1.4e)

Post by ashaman13 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:28 am

When assigning owners to figures a script error window pops up asking whether I should continue or not. Clicking no shuts down the program. It does this whether online or not.

Also, I have a pc and a mac at home. I hosted a game with my pc and joined it with my mac to test it out. For some reason the mac would log off on its own but when i tried to reconnect it by pressing the Connection hot key, the only button i was allowed to press was the disconnect button. weird. When I tried to disconnect from the hosting computer i had the same problem. The only button not grayed out was the Disconnect button but pressing it didn't do anything.

Another issue I had was when i was scrolling through objects to place the campfire object inserted itself along with the audio of crackling fire. I attempted to remove the fire but it was unclickable and did not show up on my unit manager.

And when i use the Turn sequencer i don't see any end turn button at all. Just a step button on the map and the sequencer.

Anyway just FYI ya know.

BTW, I have version 1.4e installed now.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Re: Script Error bug and others (v1.4e)

Post by Omnidon » Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:49 am

ashaman13 wrote:Clicking no shuts down the program.
Yeah, clicking "No" means "Don't continue running BRPG, shut it down". That'll happen with all script errors. However, many script errors won't break anything if you click "Yes".

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:50 am

ashaman13 wrote:When assigning owners to figures a script error window pops up asking whether I should continue or not. Clicking no shuts down the program. It does this whether online or not.
Unable to duplicate. I launched BRPG, loaded a sample Deployment, selected a figure, and set the owner to "Everyone". No script error.

If you repeat those exact steps, are you getting an error?
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:52 am

ashaman13 wrote:And when i use the Turn sequencer i don't see any end turn button at all. Just a step button on the map and the sequencer.
There is no "End Turn" button in the Turn Sequencer. Just a "Step" button.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

ashaman13
Sergeant

Post by ashaman13 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:46 am

I follow those steps and no script error. But when I right click and select edit figure, then change owner back to GM I get the script error. Is it okay to to run the game with the script error?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:55 am

OK, I was able to confirm the error this time. Will fix this for v1.4f.

In many cases, and I suspect this is one of them, clicking "Yes" (to Continue) after an error alert won't have any adverse effects on the remainder of the game session.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:04 pm

This error is fixed for v1.4f.

The error was being caused because I'd forgotten to close some quotation marks in the code, right after the "GM" option in that pulldown menu.
Last edited by heruca on Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ashaman13
Sergeant

Post by ashaman13 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:05 pm

whew! i knew i wasn't crazy LOL. Any idea of why my Mac was logging itself out?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:11 pm

Did you use identical usernames on both clients? Where both clients definitely running the same version of BRPG? Was this a one-time occurrence, or does it happen to you every time you log into a game with your Mac? Even after a relaunch on both computers?

ashaman13
Sergeant

Post by ashaman13 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:01 pm

heruca wrote:Did you use identical usernames on both clients? Where both clients definitely running the same version of BRPG? Was this a one-time occurrence, or does it happen to you every time you log into a game with your Mac? Even after a relaunch on both computers?

1. I used different usernames (matty and chon).

2. Yup, i installed 1.4c and the latest patches for each OS.

3. I tried it 3 times (shutting down BGRPG each time on both OS's) and had the mac would log itself off. I would press [C] to reconnect but the first two options were grayed out. Only disconnect was press-able and pressing it didn't do anything. I wasn't able to move any figures either. My PC was the host and the Mac was joined.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:06 pm

ashaman13 wrote:I would press [C] to reconnect but the first two options were grayed out. Only disconnect was press-able and pressing it didn't do anything.
Apparently the Mac thought it was still connected; that's why the first two options were greyed out and the Disconnect button was enabled.

But I have no idea why the Win PC would automatically disconnect the Mac. I'll run some tests here to see if I can duplicate this and will let you know what I find.

@ everyone else:
Have you had similar disconnect issues with recent BRPG releases?

Kazander
General

Post by Kazander » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:16 pm

ashaman13 wrote:Also, I have a pc and a mac at home. I hosted a game with my pc and joined it with my mac to test it out. For some reason the mac would log off on its own but when i tried to reconnect it by pressing the Connection hot key, the only button i was allowed to press was the disconnect button. weird. When I tried to disconnect from the hosting computer i had the same problem. The only button not grayed out was the Disconnect button but pressing it didn't do anything.
Yes; this sounds like the exact same issue I've been reporting for some time now, between my single Mac player and myself (Vista GM client). [See 'player client disconnect' thread {http://battlegroundsgames.com/forums/vi ... php?t=1912}. Goes back several versions now. Very frustrating because the Mac client cannot reconnect without restart of BPRG, and even then it claims he's still logged in. Only fix is to shut down the hosting game, and have all the players reconnect.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:32 pm

This may be a related issue, Kazander, but it's definitely different. Here, the Mac client is getting logged off (according to the Win PC host) immediately after logging in, but the Mac client never realizes it's been logged off. And relaunching BRPG on both systems isn't helping.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:36 pm

ashaman13,

Are you using your external IP to connect to your PC that's on the same network? If so, it's probably applying your router's port-forwarding in such a way that it's interfering with the network handshakes by sending ALL traffic to your GM client.

Try connecting with your internal IP address and see if that solves the problem.

ashaman13
Sergeant

Post by ashaman13 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:41 pm

yes i am using my external IP. I'll try using my internal and check back in. Also a minor bug that I forgot to include. All my text boxes for menu's are black and i can't see what i selected.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:44 pm

See my reply in this thread.

BTW, on an unrelated note, I think you may be trying to track too much info in the Turn Sequencer.
Last edited by heruca on Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kazander
General

Post by Kazander » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:45 pm

heruca wrote:This may be a related issue, Kazander, but it's definitely different. Here, the Mac client is getting logged off (according to the Win PC host) immediately after logging in, but the Mac client never realizes it's been logged off. And relaunching BRPG on both systems isn't helping.
Well, I of course defer to your opinion of the issue since you are the developer, but other than the immediacy of the logout, the symptoms appear the same to me.

My mac client doesn't log out immediately; it appears to take about the 'timeout' period (though I haven't timed it exactly, that's just a guess).

Like ashaman13 though, the mac client never realizes he's been logged out (but the Win GM host does know), and relaunching BRPG doesn't really help.....the same thing happens to the mac client repeatedly throughout an evening of play. He just gets some time in between logouts to play normally. The problem never actually goes away though.

ashaman13
Sergeant

Post by ashaman13 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:48 pm

to clear up the mac issue, the mac disconnects after a few minutes not immediately. I still going to try switching the IP from external to internal.

EDIT:

So in ur very valued opinion should I cut down the info on my sequencer?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:51 pm

ashaman13 wrote:should I cut down the info on my sequencer?
Try to limit it to the essentials that you need to refer to the most. It's not really meant to be used as a surrogate for character sheets. I mean, it should work and all, but it's going to cover up most of your screen when you have the Turn Sequencer open.

Your way might be handy if you can position the TS on a second display, though.

ashaman13
Sergeant

Post by ashaman13 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:56 pm

heruca wrote: Try to limit it to the essentials that you need to refer to the most. It's not really meant to be used as a surrogate for character sheets.
I'm trying to use it as a DM combat tracker. that way one glance and i'll see all the pertinent info like AC/HP/Bloodied. 4e has 4 different AC's (AC/Fort/Ref/Will) so its gonna be long LOL. but i will cut out some of the stuff.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:59 pm

Does 4E use some sort of standardized shorthand notation for the AC info? If so, the Notes column might be a good place for it. Saves you three columns, anyway.

ashaman13
Sergeant

Post by ashaman13 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:01 am

great idea! Are notes hidden from players?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:02 am

For sure for Hidden figures. I don't remember right now if they're also hidden from non-owners, but I think PCs can only see PC's notes.

nightwalker450
General

Post by nightwalker450 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:32 am

Since I've done the 4e tracking as well, though I'd share how I track, if it would help you. For 4e I track:

In BattleGrounds: HP, Max HP, Init, Init Bonus
(Mainly because these are the most common that needed to be tracked as they change through combat)

I print out a table for my PC's with all the other relevant information (including surge values, stealth bonuses, shield bonus, bonus vs. OA)

NPC's I used to try and keep up a Access database of monsters, that I would then print out the monsters I was using, but with the new update to the D&D Compendium (if you're a subscriber), I'm just going to refer to that for their information. My plan is to have a text line for each encounter that contains the search I need to paste to compendium to get my monster list. :D

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:37 am

nightwalker450 wrote:My plan is to have a text line for each encounter that contains the search I need to paste to compendium to get my monster list. :D
That gives me an idea for v1.5. :)