Bug: ZoneAlarm causes crashes (Beta 1.0.6)

An archive for tracking bugs that have already been fixed
Omnidon
Site Admin

Bug: ZoneAlarm causes crashes (Beta 1.0.6)

Post by Omnidon » Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:03 pm

I also mentioned this one to heruca already on YIM. Posting it here for future reference.

I have ZoneAlarm software firewall, which I suspect is causing this problem. I will test it later with the firewall disabled.

Every so often when I create a game, the client will crash when trying to connect to the host. It will keep crashing until I restart the host.

The reason I suspect ZoneAlarm is because it often causes a similar connection crash with Dreamweaver.

(Dreamweaver and heruca's development software, Director, are both made by Macromedia. A clue perhaps?)

heruca
Developer

Re: Bug: Random Crash During Connect - ZoneAlarm? (Beta 1.0.

Post by heruca » Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:19 pm

Omnidon wrote:(Dreamweaver and heruca's development software, Director, are both made by Macromedia. A clue perhaps?)
Interesting.

So, is ZoneAlarm widely used? Is this going to be a major problem?
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:46 pm

Well I'm really not sure how widely-used it is.

In my opinion (and the opinion of most professionals), ZoneAlarm is the best software firewall on the market right now for home/office PCs.

And considering that the basic firewall is free, I'm surprised everyone doesn't use it ;-)

I believe the bug has something to do with the way ZoneAlarm authorizes a program's access to the internet. I've noticed that Dreamweaver crashes less often (but still occasionally) if I authorize it every time I load it rather than saying "Always Authorize".

Tonight I'll test to see whether turning off ZoneAlarm fixes this problem in BRPG as well though.

Update!
I tested about 10 connections with ZoneAlarm turned off and there were no crashes. Obviously it is indeed ZoneAlarm.

I doubt you will be able to fix this problem but that's ok, I can just turn ZoneAlarm off while connecting then turn it back on once all the players are in.
Or anyone with ZoneAlarm that uses BRPG regularly can simply leave the Outbound protection turned off, which is something that most firewalls don't have anyway.

Halebop

Post by Halebop » Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:10 pm

Thanks Omnidon. Updated buglist to refelct ZoneAlarm as 3rd party software issue.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:37 pm

Thanks to both of you.

3rd party software issues are a pain to deal with.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.