New Dice Roller Not Reporting Results in Chat

An archive for tracking bugs that have already been fixed
tdwyer11b
Captain

New Dice Roller Not Reporting Results in Chat

Post by tdwyer11b » Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:16 am

Unless I'm missing something, the new panel isn;t reporting rolls to the chat panel.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:28 am

You're missing something :lol:
heruca wrote:To be addressed in v1.0.9a:
Ability to step through the dice roll history
Report dice macro roll results in the chat window

I have decided to do incremental releases to get this all done and not keep you all waiting too much longer. BRPG v1.0.9 will be released around October 1st, so that you all can start helping me with the playtesting. BRPG v1.0.9a will follow a couple of weeks later. It will address the remaining items listed above, and fix whatever bugs have been reported for v1.0.9.
viewtopic.php?t=120&start=575#10418
Last edited by Omnidon on Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

tdwyer11b
Captain

Post by tdwyer11b » Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:35 am

Doh! Thats OK, I'm still having lots of fun testing dice macros for the different systems I play, sof far WOW, this thing is pretty damn good!

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:57 am

Oops, I meant to type "October 1st" instead of "August 1st". Fixed it now in the original post.

I'm glad you guys seem to be figuring out how to use the Dice Macro panel without having seen any instructions for it yet.

I was afraid some people would balk when confronted with so many options in the Dice Macro Configuration screen. I'll tell you, supporting so many different dice mechanics for so many different RPG systems is no easy task when you choose to forego a text syntax approach to die rolling (e.g., "(4d6-1)+2, DL, TN=14, RR=5+").

You may find that some combinations of settings don't work yet. Generally, they are pretty rare or non-sensical combinations, but be sure to let me know if you come across one and you really do need it to work. For example, if you roll 2 percentile dice and choose "drop lowest", it doesn't work right. I didn't stress about it in this initial release because I'm not aware of any game system that makes you do that.

Have you checked out the "dX" yet? It's currently only available in the blue dice set. To use it, you'll need to type in a range of possible numbers for it, like 1-1000, or 3-15.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

heruca
Developer

Re: New Dice Roller Not Reporting Results in Chat

Post by heruca » Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:52 pm

tdwyer11b wrote:Unless I'm missing something, the new panel isn;t reporting rolls to the chat panel.
How exactly would you all like die rolls to be reported in the Chat panel? With so many options and settings now available, a detailed summary could be extremely wordy. And with the new ability to browse through the Roll History, perhaps detailed roll reporting isn't even needed or desired, and the Chat panel could just say something like:

"Incoming die roll. See Roll #8 in the Roll History."

Thoughts?

What would you like to see reported in the Chat panel for the example roll below?
Attachments
How would you report this in chat.jpg
How would you report this in chat.jpg (326.42 KiB) Viewed 6728 times
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Balesir
General

Post by Balesir » Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:38 pm

Just a first thought, but for me the report should be as simple as possible but still contain:
  • 1) The actual die roll(s) made; for a single roll this will be just a number, but for pools (where number of dice > number of die faces?) should be of the form 2x6, 3x5, 1x4 etc.

2) A specified 'result' for the roll, specified as part of the macro and limited to one entry. Possibilities would be total rolled for each die type defined (e.g. basic and 'wild'), table lookup value, pool counts (all counts created if my suggestion in Feedback is used) or the value of the expression created by the macro definition. The last one might have to be an option in addition to one of the other three.
The reason I think a report in Chat is needed at all is that we use the chat to give a persistent record of the session. An alternative to this might be to have the die roll history included/appended in the chat transcript/export, and reference numbers in the chat itself as heruca suggested.
Balesir

demonsbane
Captain

Post by demonsbane » Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:57 pm

tdwyer11b wrote:(...) with the new ability to browse through the Roll History, perhaps detailed roll reporting isn't even needed or desired, and the Chat panel could just say something like:

"Incoming die roll. See Roll #8 in the Roll History."
Hm, first of all I acknowledge I'm a bit confused by this subject.

But I can see clearly (IMO) the dice roll type and the result should be displayed in the chat window, despite being stored too in the Roll History.

I'm making some 1.1b beta tests with no dice roll report in the chat window and from my view (and from my player's) needing to look at the Dice Macro for each roll in the game makes the game clumsy for us.

I can be missing something important here, but these are my current thoughts.
"We adore chaos because we love to produce order."
M.C. Escher

"Let's face it: for some people, roleplaying is a serious challenge, a life-or-death struggle."
J. M. Caparula / Scott Haring

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:54 pm

heruca wrote:What would you like to see reported in the Chat panel for the example roll below?
OK, since no one is commenting, I'll take a stab at this, and you all can chime in to help me refine the specific output and formating.

This is what I think the Chat window should report:

Code: Select all

Heruca rolls 30d6
Total Successes: 13, Total Result: 132
For details, see Roll #8 in the Dice Roll History

demonsbane
Captain

Post by demonsbane » Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:05 pm

heruca wrote:This is what I think the Chat window should report:

Heruca rolls 30d6
Total Successes: 13, Total Result: 132
For details, see Roll #8 in the Dice Roll History
Hey, that seems interesting. But I would like to understand the idea better.

What would be if I want to show the exact result of a single roll? If I roll a 14 with 3d6, can I have with this system the chat window reporting only that, too?
M.C. Escher

"Let's face it: for some people, roleplaying is a serious challenge, a life-or-death struggle."

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:21 pm

Each Dice Macro will be reported differently, depending on the specific options selected. For example, if rolling against a Target Number, it'll report how much you made or failed the roll by. The actual numbers rolled on each die are pretty irrelevant, IMO. What's important is the overall outcome of the roll and what effect that has on the game.
Chat Window reports wrote:Demonsbane rolls 3d6, needing a 14 or lower.
A total of 11 is rolled, so the roll succeeds by 3.
For details, see Roll #10 in the Dice Roll History.

demonsbane
Captain

Post by demonsbane » Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:44 pm

That feature rocks, having it immediately displayed in the chat window (of course), and having it for reference in the History.

I second your view.

Only a request: to leave open the possibility of make some dice rolls quickly, perhaps from the chat window itself. In that way one isn't obligued to use always the Dice Macro screen.

{OK, I know my request is a bit vague... and maybe even senseless :-) I'm attacking blind and in darkness here.}

In what BG RPG version you would implement this feature, enabling "comunication" between the Dice Macro and the Chat panel?

I can't wait.
M.C. Escher

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:42 am

Reporting of dice rolls in chat should be either in v1.2a, or in v1.3. Within a month or two, basically.

Quest
Soldier

Post by Quest » Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:32 am

My group had our fist session using Battlegrounds last night (we are just using the demo to see if everything works before buying). Overall, the feedback was great, except for the die macro box. Everyone thought is was klunky. The box was too big and not resizeable, and it was hard to tell who rolled what.

So, on to some suggestions. Please note that these are just my (and my groups) thoughts on the matter. Take what you will from it, leave behind what doesn't make sense or what you don't like.

1) In the existing Dice Macro box, please include the Player Name somewhere. So, when I get a box pop up on my screen, I know who just rolled those dice without having to remember who has what color dice.

2) I understand from reading above that die results in chat is coming. This will help a ton. See my next suggestion.

3) For me, here is how I would ideally like to see dice rolling work, trying to keep it in the frame of what already exists.

When you right-click on a figure and get the menu, add a new option under Dice Macros for Edit. The edit would list a sub menu of all the macros for the user and allow them to edit (this is important to work with the next idea)

Dice Macro -> New...
              Edit...   --> d20
              d20           Attack
              Attack
Given the above new menu structure, when I pick a macro on the main Dice Macro menu, it should automatically roll the macro and show the results in the chat window and not pop up the dice macro box automatically (perhaps make this a preference option).

What would show in chat is just the results of the dice macro and not the details. Now ideally, one would like to be able to just click on the results shown in the chat window to have the dice roll history box open up to show that particular result (not sure how doable that is).

This would allow for quicker and cleaner die rolling for commonly used macros for each player (initiative, to-hit, etc). Plus, still allow those macros to be edited under special circumstance.

I hope that all made sense!

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:31 pm

Thanks for the feedback, Quest.

You're not the first to suggest making the Dice Macro window resizable, but what would that accomplish, exactly? There's no point in making it larger, and making it smaller would only crop off some controls/settings. Things like checkboxes, radio buttons, and pulldown menus don't shrink in proportion to the window size.

One thing I would suggest to those who think the window is too large is to run BRPG at a higher resolution, if their display supports it. Also, if the complaint is that the window is blocking the view of the map, remember that the window can be temporarily moved by dragging the title bar.

1. Including the player name is not a bad idea, although my intent with the Macro Name field was for descriptive text that includes the character name (e.g., "Frodo, Save vs. Poison"). Character name is probably more useful info than player name, at least if some players are running more than one character. I'll try to include your suggestion the next time I update the Dice Macro window.

3. It seems to me that navigating to an entry in a submenu is actually slower (and clunkier, from a User Interface standpoint) than just calling up the macro normally and clicking the "Roll" button. How about if, instead, I add a modifier key that forces the macro to automatically roll without showing the macro settings?

I like the idea of a clickable hyperlink in the Chat panel's dice roll report, but I need to figure out how to pull it off, from a technical standpoint. If I can make that work, I should also be able to make web links (URLs) clickable, too.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue May 13, 2008 1:27 pm

Quest wrote:1) In the existing Dice Macro box, please include the Player Name somewhere. So, when I get a box pop up on my screen, I know who just rolled those dice without having to remember who has what color dice.
This is implemented in v1.2d.

Steel Rat
General

Post by Steel Rat » Sun May 18, 2008 10:43 pm

When a macro is created, is there a shortcut way of executing it? I didn't see anything like that. Ideally doing it in chat would be the best way something like /m Rifle1.

Otherwise I'm not sure how useful the macros are except for really complex rolls.
Steel Rat
Infinite Ordnance: Military RPG supplements
RPGMapShare.com - Free map and mapping object repository.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun May 18, 2008 11:17 pm

Have you seen the new dice macro selection and auto-rolling options in v1.2d and higher? If not, I'll post a screenshot tomorrow for you.

And I suppose in a future release I could see about adding user-definable hotkeys to activate a given dice macro.

The chat shortcut you suggest would seem to be a slower way of doing things, and highly prone to typos, not to mention you'd have to have all your macro names memorized.

Steel Rat
General

Post by Steel Rat » Sun May 18, 2008 11:41 pm

heruca wrote:Have you seen the new dice macro selection and auto-rolling options in v1.2d and higher? If not, I'll post a screenshot tomorrow for you.

And I suppose in a future release I could see about adding user-definable hotkeys to activate a given dice macro.

The chat shortcut you suggest would seem to be a slower way of doing things, and highly prone to typos, not to mention you'd have to have all your macro names memorized.
Haven't seen them, no.

Or, a small window with your macros in them so you can click and go. ;)
Steel Rat
Infinite Ordnance: Military RPG supplements
RPGMapShare.com - Free map and mapping object repository.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:17 pm

A lot of you will be glad to hear this:
Reporting of die rolls in the Chat Window is in place for v1.3f. :D

I'm having die rolls appear in a different color from normal text, so that they stand out more. Note that the exact wording of each reported die roll varies according to the options that were set when configuring the dice macro.
Attachments
Die Roll Reporting in Chat Window.jpg
Die Roll Reporting in Chat Window.jpg (107.17 KiB) Viewed 6501 times