Using BG in Harn

A place to post your BRPG game transcripts
severin
Captain

Using BG in Harn

Post by severin » Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:15 am

This is a summary of a fight using Harn Master 3 rules and BG. I am sorry that we did not use some of the more advanced features of BG (like the turn sequencer or FOW. How is that new user's manual coming Heruca?)

We used BG for all dice rolls. We used the dice roll history feature to clear up a few questions about what happened.

http://members.cox.net/kanter/Gul_Fight3.pdf

This example does show that BG can be used in almost any system. Harn is a very detailed setting and rule set. BG supports it well (and would probably support it even better if I used it more effectively).

Severin

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:06 am

Cool, Severin. If you used Fog of War, it might make the Encounter more moody and suspenseful. For example, they can't be sure if there are more Guls out there in the dark. And the PCs wouldn't want to venture too far from the firelight.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Balesir
General

Post by Balesir » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:05 am

Hi, Severin,

I thought I recognised those screenies on the Hârn Forum! :lol:

Nice to see someone is using BRPG for Hârn - I have been meaning/wanting to set up a game for a while, but life is just so damn full right now...
Balesir

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:29 am

Balesir wrote:life is just so damn full right now...
Yeah, we haven't seen much of you here lately. I hope things settle down for you, soon. I miss reading your posts with an English accent. :lol:
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

severin
Captain

Post by severin » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:35 am

Well, we do what can. I posted this on the Harn Forum to try and get some questions answered and to get some comments on how we are using the Harn rules. And the Harn Forum people could see some screen-shots from BG.

I posted it here so that people could see that BG works for any gaming system.

Two birds, one stone.

severin
Captain

Post by severin » Fri May 01, 2009 3:32 pm

We have posted a summary of the first two rounds of our latest Gulmorvrin encounter. In this encounter:

1. We are changing our interpretation of how shadow conflict is initiated.
2. We have better encounter maps which show more of BG's capabilites.
3. There are stumbles, amputations, knock-backs and (I cannot believe I am saying this) two successful rises!

http://members.cox.net/kanter/Gul_Fight4.pdf

As always, comments and suggestions are welcome.

I have also posted this on the Harn Forum at http://www.lythia.com. Perhaps it will drum up some interest in BG.

Severin
Last edited by severin on Mon May 04, 2009 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon May 04, 2009 12:20 pm

Nice.

It looks like you need to tweak the rotation settings for many of your figures. Most of them are facing one way while the yellow facing indicator faces a different way.

severin
Captain

Post by severin » Mon May 04, 2009 3:31 pm

Thanks. I will add it to my list of BG features to figure out. It is a long list.

I actually made all the buildings shown objects. That is probably not the way to do it, but it means we can re-use them easily.

severin
Captain

Post by severin » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:56 am

We have completed the first session of our fifth Gulmorvrin encounter. This encounter involves an assault on a Morgathian temple and a race against time to save a kidnapped maiden before she is sacrificed. This session has spells, brute force and ignorance, dark rituals, and even a desperate call for divine aid.

To make things more interesting we added an Amorvrin (free undead) priest of Morgath to the mix and significantly increased the strength of the Guls. Rollard and Goran are again joined by their companions Marek (Peleahn [Fire] Shek-Pvar [Mage]) and Crandle (priest of Larani). Stats on the PCs can found at the end of the encounter notes. We are attempting to see how magic and ritual invocations work in the context of fighting Morvrin.

Our summary and notes on this session can be found here:

http://files.getdropbox.com/u/940994/Gul_fight5.pdf

Our questions are in red text. As always, comments are welcome.

And Heruca, I managed to get the facing of the figures correct this time.

severin
Captain

Post by severin » Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:51 pm

The above referenced PDF has been updated to include the next round. A player cast a fire spell and BG handled effect perfectly. There is a screen shot in the PDF.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:02 pm

Nice screenshots. In the future, you might want to disable "Learning Mode" in BRPG's "Preferences" panel, to avoid having the Movement Guide appear around the selected figure.

Looks like the rules you're using have a lot of unanswered questions.

severin
Captain

Post by severin » Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:34 pm

Thank you for the tip. We are making some progress with Battlegrounds actually. But we still have many features to investigate. Time is always a problem. We have also encountered a few "features" I would like to discuss with you.

Harn began as a generic and highly realistic fantasy setting. You would not believe the level of detail. Really superb.

We are examining a particularly problematic section of the Harnmaster rules. The Harn combat rules are excellent. Very realistic. The magic rules are a bit more "flexible" and tailor able.

The undead of Harn are really interesting. As written they offer many fascinating role-playing possibilities. They are not well defined in terms of the rules. That is part of why we started these sessions. We are examining how the undead integrate into the combat (and now magic) rules. We are sort of acting like play testers.

I am posting on the HarnForum as well. As a satisfied customer, perhaps the posts could drum up some interest in Battlegrounds.