Development Update

A "blog" of sorts to track development progress, discuss design theory, etc.
heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:03 pm

I just added a new (minor) feature for v1.4f:
The GM can load web pages on connected players' screens by typing in a command in the chat window and pressing Return/Enter. The format for this command is "url=" (sans quotes) followed by the complete URL. The web page will load using the default web browser on each computer. As with all chat messages, this command can be sent to everyone at once, or just to an individual player or group of players.

I've added a sample "Web Links" file to the "Text Macros" folder which includes some handy URLs that can be loaded via the Chat Macro feature. The file can also serve as a guide for GMs wishing to create their own list of weblinks that they can access in-game.

Edit: This could turn out to be a very handy feature for players using web-based character sheets.
Last edited by heruca on Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

ursus
General

Post by ursus » Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:16 pm

You should probably include a link to http://www.sadtrombone.com.

That site is great fun. One of my gaming groups always uses it anytime there's an important attack/skill failure.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:26 pm

Adobe Director 11.5 is coming out soon. I'll never use it for BRPG v1, but it may be time to upgrade when I start in on BRPG v2.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:07 pm

heruca wrote:Adobe Director 11.5 is coming out soon. I'll never use it for BRPG v1, but it may be time to upgrade when I start in on BRPG v2.
Director 11.5 is already out and, I believe, has been out for a while now.

New features and upgrade summary:
http://www.adobe.com/products/director/upgrade/

Looks like they added a bunch of the new features from Flash 10 to Director 11.5

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:09 pm

Well, the news story said it was expected for release at the end of this month. :P

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:51 pm

With a bit of luck, BRPG v1.4f might be released tomorrow. Just a couple more bugs to fix, and a bunch of testing to do.

nortonweb
General

Post by nortonweb » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:33 pm

lol you have been releasing new versions the day before my arranged sessions for the last 3 releases... is it going to be a patch again? That way I might be able to use it :D

Nom is one of my players if it fixes any of his Mac issues I have more weight to the last minute patching :lol:
Running 5 player D&D 4E campaign over the net using BRPG 1.4e

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:36 pm

Sorry, it won't be a patch.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:07 pm

heruca wrote:With a bit of luck, BRPG v1.4f might be released tomorrow. Just a couple more bugs to fix, and a bunch of testing to do.
Well, I got the bugs fixed, but it took all day, so the testing and release of v1.4f will have to wait until tomorrow.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:38 pm

I'm having corrective eye surgery today, so I probably won't be able to so much as look at a computer screen tonight. I mention this because I won't be able to issue license codes or offer tech support until tomorrow at the earliest.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:31 am

Now that FUMcon '09 is over, I can get back to development on BRPG v1.4g.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:41 pm

I just upgraded my laptop from 1 GB RAM to 4 GB. Now that's more like it! :D

I've never had a computer with more than 2 GBs RAM before. I tend to have 6-8 apps open at once, so this should help keep things running smoothly when I switch between apps. It should also help when I get around to running a Windows VM.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed May 13, 2009 5:18 pm

For v1.4g, I've added a few more sorting options to the Turn Sequencer. In addition to the already-available sorting options, you'll also be able to sort units:
1) Alphabetically
2) According to their Disposition to the PCs (e.g., Hostile units always on top)
3) According to their Status color (e.g., have the more heavily-wounded units on top).

You can combine these, of course, by specifying one as the primary sequencing value and another as the tiebreaker value. So for example, I could have units sorted by Disposition, and subsorted alphabetically.

These new options are particularly useful if you wish to use the Turn Sequencer just for tracking unit data, and not for actual turn sequencing.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu May 21, 2009 11:00 pm

I should have an important announcement in the next day or two. Stay tuned. All I can say for now is that it involves a new product. (no, not the Wargame Edition, sorry)

ursus
General

Post by ursus » Sun May 24, 2009 10:31 am

It's been more than a day or two now. Is the important announcement still coming?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun May 24, 2009 10:45 am

Yes, but I now know that it won't happen until Monday, at least.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:45 am

Looks like that announcement may have to wait until after Origins. :(

The hold-up is that a contract with a third party still needs to be signed. But even though the terms of the contract have been settled, the actual signing of the contract may need to be put off until after the convention, since the third party has more pressing pre-Con business to attend to (which is completely understandable).

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:53 pm

Things are finally starting to look promising for a release of v1.4g. I just want another day or two of testing to ensure that's it's a good, solid release, because I really want it to get promoted to official release status and not have to do any more v1.4x releases.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:51 pm

heruca wrote:Looks like that announcement may have to wait until after Origins. :(

The hold-up is that a contract with a third party still needs to be signed. But even though the terms of the contract have been settled, the actual signing of the contract may need to be put off until after the convention, since the third party has more pressing pre-Con business to attend to (which is completely understandable).
Yay! I was able to sign the contract prior to Origins, so without further ado, here's the announcement.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:52 am

BRPG v1.4g will be released tomorrow (Tuesday).

The "Valkenburg Castle" game will probably be released soon after v1.4g., so time is running out for pre-ordering it at the discounted price.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:06 pm

v1.4g took a couple more days than I expected, but it's finally out. I really wanted to address some issues with the Turn Sequencer that Kazander posted about in the bugs forum.

I'd like to thank everyone who has submitted a bug report. Kazander and Nightwalker450 in particular have been great about reporting problems lately. Full Bleed used to be in charge of managing the Bug Reports subforum, but he doesn't seem to be around much anymore. Would anyone like to take his place? The job entails confirming that a bug has been fixed and moving the thread to the "Fixed Bugs" subforum. This only needs to be done once every month or two (right after each new release). I'd do it myself, but I'm stretched out pretty thin as it is, and confirmation of a bug fix is best done by someone other than the developer. Any takers?

nightwalker450
General

Post by nightwalker450 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:57 pm

I only run from a Windows XP machine, but I'd be happy to help with confirming bug fixes that aren't Mac specific.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:04 pm

There is a good chance that BRPG v1.4h will be released tomorrow.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:05 pm

BRPG v1.4i will be released tomorrow.

Farland
High Commander

Post by Farland » Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:56 am

heruca wrote:BRPG v1.4i will be released tomorrow.
Awesome, can't wait. Thanks!
The World of Farland: www.farlandworld.com

The best PbP site on the net: www.myth-weavers.com