Development Update

A "blog" of sorts to track development progress, discuss design theory, etc.
Tlichie
Captain

Post by Tlichie » Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:37 pm

LOL for that matter, I could walk around town and create a map. Not that the town is that big.
--Tlichie

Chaos, The Disorganised
Cannon Fodder

Re: Update

Post by Chaos, The Disorganised » Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:38 pm

Hi,

Glad to see that development is still rolling along constantly here! :)

I noticed this in a recent posting:
heruca wrote:More good news: I've come across some open source code
I'm assuming you have checked the licencing agreement that came with the code, because a lot of such code demands that anything it is used with is released as open source, and I don't want to see such a great project getting sidetracked by any such legalities.

Anyway, keep up the great work, and don't worry about the dates slipping slightly. After all, it's better to have it feature rich and working, rather than feature rich and buggy!

Chaos
If everything looks good, and things are running smoothly, I must be busy! If, however, things go wrong, and nothing goes as expected, look for me! I'll be the one rearranging everything! 8)

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:28 pm

::curses loudly at bugs that refuse to die::

Sorry folks. I know I said I'd get RC2 out tonight, but it just isn't happening, and there's no sense in forcing it. I'm gonna call it a day before I smash my computer in frustration.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Tlichie
Captain

Post by Tlichie » Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:45 pm

sounds like the best plan...if you smash your computer then you *really* won't be able to fix the bugs!

*goes back to rummaging and pretending to clean*
--Tlichie

Dormouse
General

Post by Dormouse » Sat Jul 29, 2006 5:36 am

heruca wrote:::curses loudly at bugs that refuse to die::.
Yeah, the last bugs tend to be last because they're very evasive.

You need to take it easy - I know we're all very keen to see RC2, but you'll probably have a lot to do the minute it is finished.

Stuart
Sergeant

Post by Stuart » Sat Jul 29, 2006 1:29 pm

Heruca
I'd agree with everything Baz and Spyke have said - I intend to use both systems but if BG proves to be a nice stable platform that will allow limited sharing of character sheets etc then I am happy that it is essentialy still not a "paper-less" substitute like FG BUT crucially allows Rolemaster, Harn and other non d20 systems to flourish PLUS allow greater graphic presentation.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:38 pm

Slow day today on these forums. :(

I'm still working on revamping the multiuser connectivity code. I've also been doing some R&D for future updates. There's some very cool new stuff on the horizon for BRPG.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Farland
High Commander

Post by Farland » Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:09 pm

It was only a slow day because everyone was testing out RC2. :)

I like it a great deal so far. Here's a question: will there be more tokens in the official release?
The World of Farland: www.farlandworld.com

The best PbP site on the net: www.myth-weavers.com

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:19 pm

If you mean top-down figure tokens, maybe a couple more, but not many. It's already a pretty decent number for a starter set, IMO. There's also a good chance that some third-party developers will be producing more sets (some free, some for sale).

There are hundreds of additional tokens already available for free download, however. The RPTools gallery is a good place to start, if round, portrait-style tokens are your thing:
http://gallery.rptools.net/main.php

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:39 pm

heruca wrote:In working on this, I've realized that I'll be able to speed up Fog of War processing significantly on smaller maps, because BRPG is currently rendering the entire 40x40 cell area even if you're just using a tiny map. Look for this after v1.0.
Change of plans. The optimized FoW rendering on smaller maps will actually be in v1.0 after all. I've just finished implementing it. :D

smatt1001
General

Post by smatt1001 » Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:49 pm

That's great news!
Well, if BRPG someday becomes a household name (at least among gamer households), smatt1001 will be able to boast that he was the first person in the world to buy a license.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:58 pm

Very impressive rate of progress. You're a machine! :shock:

I just can't keep up. By the time I recover from testing one version you've released two more. :roll:

More never hurts though... more more more!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Kepli
High Commander

Post by Kepli » Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:45 am

Good news Heruca :D

heruca
Developer

New feature being added for v1.0

Post by heruca » Sat Aug 12, 2006 5:07 am

I'm adding the ability to purge imported media from the "User Cast.cxt" file. This will prevent file bloat, and possibly lower RAM usage, as well.

This new feature takes the form of a "Purge Media" panel (accesed from the BG button) that lets you browse all your imported media assets and purge just the ones you want to. Images are shown in a thumbnail preview, and audio files can be listened to first so you can make sure you're not deleting the wrong sound clip (in any case, the asset's name is shown just below the thumbnail display area).

To keep players from browsing as-yet-unrevealed assets during a game session, the feature will only be available while offline.

This Purge feature will also allow you to re-import artwork (like a map that you've tweaked or edited), by first purging the old, unwanted version. The current workaround of having to rename edited assets will no longer be needed.

I expect to finish this new feature on Saturday.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Re: New feature being added for v1.0

Post by Omnidon » Sat Aug 12, 2006 7:22 am

:D :D
heruca wrote:To keep players from browsing as-yet-unrevealed assets during a game session, the feature will only be available while offline.
Hmm and if you end a game session before they reveal the entire map? :P

My players wouldn't peak but... :roll:

-edit-
heruca wrote:This Purge feature will also allow you to re-import artwork (like a map that you've tweaked or edited), by first purging the old, unwanted version. The current workaround of having to rename edited assets will no longer be needed.
This sort of purge will take place automatically when the GM loads an altered file I assume?

Jixxala
Captain

Post by Jixxala » Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:45 am

I understand Omni's question and echo it to some degree. I am however very gald this is being added. I tend to load maps and then decide I don't like something and change it a few times (indecisive I guess). I know we discussed this elsewhere and am glad to have the purge function.

I assume there is no foolproof security for any VT (fools being so ingenious and all) so I don't really mind there "might" be a way to cheat and peek at the map before hand. In most cases even if the players do see the full map, my maps aren't sight gags and it would not seriously affect gameplay.
Jixxala
Developer of PGS (Pegasus Gaming System)
Current state - Alpha
Beta starts October.
www.Pegasus-Foundation.com

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:16 pm

Well, at least they won't know where the pits and secret doors are, since those will be independent tiles. :lol:

I suppose I could eventually give the GM the ability to purge files before ending the session, but then you lose the advantage of not having to retransmit the map again the following session.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:27 pm

Some nice new eye-candy "features" are making their way into the next release. They don't really add anything to the core functionality, but they will add to the fun factor of using BRPG, and make the app feel a bit slicker.

I mention this only to tease and titillate. :P

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:09 am

The eye candy features are coming along really nicely, and should be finished on Monday. They are looking great, and will help set BRPG apart from the other VTs. 8)

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:08 pm

I've added the ability to flip a unit's artwork horizontally or vertically (you could even do both, but that just produces the same effects as rotating a unit 180 degrees). This works for both objects and figures, and is managed on a per-unit basis.

Example use: you've got a nice cowboy graphic, but it shows him shooting with his right hand, and your character is supposed to be left-handed. No problem. Just flip it horizontally, and you've got a left-handed character. 8)

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:23 am

Great! :D I'm also looking forward to the ability to adjust color.

On an earlier note:
heruca wrote:I suppose I could eventually give the GM the ability to purge files before ending the session, but then you lose the advantage of not having to retransmit the map again the following session.
You could eventually give the GM a setting that causes his files to be bundled together, so that the player can only delete them as a whole and cannot view the individual files.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:58 am

Good news! The zoom feature will be somewhat improved for v1.0. I've finally gotten things to align properly at all zoom levels. :D

After v1.0, I'll see about adding the ability to move things around at the non-1:1 zoom levels. Doing so with Snap-to-Grid off might be easy. With snap-on will be rather hard. :cry:

Jixxala
Captain

Post by Jixxala » Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:44 am

Sounds like things are comming along great. I am glad the zoom is working out, it will be nice. I also like the "extras" you are going to include. Like you said it may not be necessary, but it sure is nice. Rather than flipping all the images in PS or other, I can add variety to the MoBs simply by flipping the image when I place it, nice.
Jixxala
Developer of PGS (Pegasus Gaming System)
Current state - Alpha
Beta starts October.
www.Pegasus-Foundation.com

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:34 am

I'm currently working on a solution for transferring large maps by overriding the 2MB transfer limit. So far I've managed to slice up a map into smallish pieces. Tomorrow I'll try to transmit those pieces to the player client and reassemble them there in the proper order.

There's also a possibility that I'll be able to apply JPG compression to the map segments prior to transfer, to speed delivery, although that's probably better left for v1.1.

Question: Would players prefer to see the map redrawn as each piece is received, or should BRPG wait until it has received all the pieces before displaying the new map?

BTW, the silence on these forums the past couple of days is deafening. Please post something. :P

kilgar
Sergeant

Post by kilgar » Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:39 am

heruca wrote:Question: Would players prefer to see the map redrawn as each piece is received, or should BRPG wait until it has received all the pieces before displaying the new map?
I would vote for displaying the whole map once everything has been received.

If BRPG will be "locked up" while the pieces are received, some type of indication of progress would be useful to let everyone know there was no problem. . .

Keep up the good work!
Never tell a DM "I'm Bored!"