Kepli
High Commander

Post by Kepli » Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:03 am

Phoey :(

heruca
Developer

Bad Timing

Post by heruca » Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:19 pm

My ISP has been cut off for the day, while I move to my new home & office, so I won't be online much today until the cable guy comes and sets me up. To make matters worse, my mac.com email address isn't working today either, as the server is down for maintenance. Phoey indeed!
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Halebop

Post by Halebop » Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:57 pm

Boo!

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:23 pm

Woot! Cable guys just left. I am back online!

Now I can get back to work and finish squashing those last two bugs so I can post 1.0.3 once and for all.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Halebop

Post by Halebop » Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:54 pm

Yay!

Kepli
High Commander

Post by Kepli » Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:34 pm

I second the Yay!

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:23 pm

Beta 1.0.3 is "ready"! I'm sending the download link to a few hand-picked testers first, and if it passes muster, I'll post it for general download, probably later tonight, if the testers get back to me promptly.

I'm trying to avoid a repeat of the 1.0.2 fiasco. :oops:

Halebop

Post by Halebop » Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:38 pm

heruca wrote:I'm trying to avoid a repeat of the 1.0.2 fiasco. :oops:
Mmmm. The great Battlegrounds bug of 1.0.2. Ah, those were the days.

Kepli
High Commander

Post by Kepli » Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:18 am

*looks at the sky with a contemplative look on his face*
<sigh>

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:53 am

BRPG Sneak Preview beta 1.0.3 is now available from the Downloads page! I've pulled the earlier beta versions, as they are now obsolete.

Note that this is not an update to the previous versions, it's a stand-alone install. So if you already have beta 1.0.0 or beta 1.0.1 installed, please install this to a new directory. You may then wish to move over any files that you have placed in the Figures, Objects, Maps, etc. folders of your earlier installation into the respective folders of your 1.0.3 installation.

See the included ReadMe file for a list of what's new and the bugs that have been fixed. Enjoy!

The next planned update (beta 1.0.4) should feature online connectivity, game/encounter saving, the Turn Sequencer, and possibly some basic Fog of War functions. I will not be announcing the expected release date this time, so you'll just have to keep checking back here.

erian_7
General

Post by erian_7 » Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:35 am

Good deal heruca--I was going to test some but kepli beat me to everything! I encountered no problems with this version other than what's already known.

Thanks!
<>< ;^)

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Feb 11, 2006 5:13 am

BRPG Sneak Preview beta 1.0.4 is now available from the Downloads page! I've pulled the earlier beta versions, as they are now obsolete.

Note that this is not an update to the previous versions, it's a stand-alone install. So if you already have an earlier beta installed, please install this to a new directory. You may then wish to move over any files that you had placed in the Figures, Objects, Maps, etc. folders of your earlier installation into the respective folders of your 1.0.4 installation.

This may or may not be the last beta version posted before the official release of BRPG. So if you have feedback, please post it right away.

Please see the included ReadMe file for a list of what's new and the bugs that have been fixed.

But since I know many of you won't, here's a quick summary.

Beta 1.0.4 adds several new features, including:
Online connectivity (log on/off, plus basic chat and private messaging)
Turn Sequencer
Unit Manager (for controlling the stacking order of units on the map, their sideboard status, and their Hidden/Revealed state)
A BG icon with a popup menu (which puts all the Hotkey commands at your fingertips, and makes BRPG even easier to use)
Tooltip Notes
There's now an actual tabletop in the background
...and much more.

Unfortunately, there is still no game/encounter saving, and no Fog of War. (In any case, I'm not sure I'd want to include those features in a free beta.)
Last edited by heruca on Sat Feb 11, 2006 5:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Halebop

Post by Halebop » Sat Feb 11, 2006 5:17 am

Sounds good! I'm downloading now!

smatt1001
General

Post by smatt1001 » Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:08 am

heruca,

Is there still hope for a 1.0.5 sneak peak before the weekend. I really want to try the beta with my players. :D

Keep up the great work, I've got cash buring a hole in my pocket waiting for release....

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:55 am

I think so. I finished the Save Encounter feature last night, and hope to finish the Load Encounter feature tonight. Then I just need to address a few bugs before posting 1.0.5.

riddles
Captain

Post by riddles » Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:16 am

heruca, can I make a suggestion here. You really don't want the sneak preview to have any save functionality etc (possibly not FoW as well). If you want to test that, enable pre-orders and have those of us who would shell out NOW for BRPG to have that, everyone else starts getting sneak previews of the demo (may also be useful for splitting the functionality between demo and full product as well).

mako
Sergeant

i SECOND THAT

Post by mako » Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:15 pm

Ok, here is the deal...some of us only want the picture perfect end result, while others are..well just freaking impatient...thats me! :lol:

I would love to prepay, and get a little taste of what you have ready now.

Well thats two confirmed...any others?

MAKO

Richard Weimer
Soldier

Re: i SECOND THAT

Post by Richard Weimer » Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:19 pm

mako wrote:Well thats two confirmed...any others?

MAKO
Make that 3...

smatt1001
General

Post by smatt1001 » Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:57 pm

It's still 3 if Mako counting me, if not make that 4 or more if you count my gaming group

Gwindel
Captain

Post by Gwindel » Thu Feb 23, 2006 3:39 pm

I am certainly in. Makes it 5.
More people are driven insane through religious hysteria than by drinking alcohol. — W. C. Fields

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:41 pm

riddles wrote:heruca, can I make a suggestion here. You really don't want the sneak preview to have any save functionality etc (possibly not FoW as well).
For the Sneak Preview beta, I hardcoded the Save and Load to only work for up to 8 units. Do you foresee any problem with that, or potential for abuse? FoW will likely only be in the for-sale version. There's also a timeout period after an hour or two of use.

I'm thrilled to see such enthusiasm for preordering. I think I'll start accepting preorders tomorrow, right after beta 1.0.5 is posted.

Halebop

Post by Halebop » Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:46 pm

Presumably I couldn't save 2 or 3 of the same map with different minis on it and transfer the minis just before gameplay required them?

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:28 pm

I'll probably preorder too.

But I agree that putting the Save feature into a demo is dangerous.

You don't really need the save feature to properly demonstrate the product, and a timeout feature doesn't work if they can save.

Saving for 8 units would be enough for some people. That would allow them to save the player characters at least, and many people would be cheap enough to go to the extra effort of replacing everything else after the timeout period.

In fact, I could probably get by with 8 units lol... Freestyle roleplaying does not require a lot, since I'll usually only have 1 or 2 players. Enemies tend to be tougher in freestyle too, so there are fewer of them.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:01 pm

Halebop wrote:Presumably I couldn't save 2 or 3 of the same map with different minis on it and transfer the minis just before gameplay required them?
Eventually I'd like to add an option for transferring the maps and minis ahead of time.

For now, the way it works is that the minis are transferred the first time you use them on a map, so if the same minis get used on maps #2 & #3, they're already preloaded on the client. In any case, most minis are transferred very fast, particularly if they've been prescaled in a graphics app (50-80 KB each).

Logophylia
Cannon Fodder

Post by Logophylia » Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:16 pm

Honestly - I'm mainly interested in the product FOR the Fog of War aspect, and as such, that's the MAIN aspect that I'd like to see in action before any purchase.

I'm interested mainly in using the product for an in-person tabletop live game, and I was turned onto this product by the Fog of War idea cross-pollenated on the Dundjinni boards.

I agree that enabling a Save mode will damage the saleability of the product, but do you think turning on the Fog of War would be that damaging ?