Battlegrounds: RPG Edition Sneak Preview

Battlegrounds Games product release announcements
heruca
Developer

IMPORTANT!

Post by heruca » Thu May 18, 2006 4:14 am

A fairly important bug has just surfaced, so please hold off on downloading beta 1.0.9a until I can post a fix. I don't want anyone to have to download almost 50MBs for nothing. If you have no intention of using BRPG online (or running multiple instances on one computer), feel free to download anyway, since this bug won't affect you.

This is the bug in question:
http://www.battlegroundsgames.com/phpBB ... highlight=
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Kepli
High Commander

Post by Kepli » Thu May 18, 2006 7:57 am

Ouch ... hope you are able to post a fix soon :)

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu May 18, 2006 2:34 pm

Actually, the jury is still out on whether it's a confirmed bug, since it isn't happening on my machines. I'd appreciate it if some brave soul with broadband would test it out and report back in the above-mentioned thread.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu May 18, 2006 11:51 pm

OK, a fixed version has been posted in place of the original beta 1.0.9a.

You may download at will. :D

BTW, I shaved 14.6 MBs off the zip file and fixed many of the 1.0.9a bugs that had been reported.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Jul 29, 2006 5:46 pm

Hmm, where, oh where did my RC1 announcement go?

No matter, I'll skip right to RC2, which is uploading right now. :D

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Sat Jul 29, 2006 6:16 pm

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Tlichie
Captain

Post by Tlichie » Sat Jul 29, 2006 6:36 pm

*bounce* yay

:mrgreen:
--Tlichie

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Jul 29, 2006 7:03 pm

Sorry for the delay, I'm having technical trouble with the upload. Third try is hopefully the charm. Should be ready in 45 minutes.

smatt1001
General

Post by smatt1001 » Sat Jul 29, 2006 7:06 pm

Awsome!

Now for the obligatory question:

Any idea on the 1.0 release?
Well, if BRPG someday becomes a household name (at least among gamer households), smatt1001 will be able to boast that he was the first person in the world to buy a license.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Jul 29, 2006 7:15 pm

v1.0 should follow closely on the heels of RC2. It should be just last-minute bug fixes, finalizing the User Manual, and adding the sample mini-adventure, right? I'd guess sometime in the first half of August.

heruca
Developer

RC2 is now available for download

Post by heruca » Sat Jul 29, 2006 7:54 pm

BRPG Release Candidate 2 (henceforth, RC2) is now available from the Downloads page.

RC2 is a full installation, not a patch, so you don't need to have anything else previously installed. If you already have an earlier beta installed, please install this to a new directory. I've pulled the earlier beta versions, as they are now obsolete.

Installation Instructions:
1) Expand the zip file to a location of your choosing.
2) If you had added any content to an older version of BRPG (such as the freebie content packs), be sure to move those assets to the appropriate RC2 folders.

The main focus of this update is a LOT of bug fixes, adding hexgrid support, adding the ability to move units by dragging them with the mouse, allowing Snap-to-Grid to be turned off, and giving a preview of the forthcoming zoom functionality.

Other RC2 features include:
¢ A new tiles feature allows making modular dungeon maps that load instantly on player client screens.
¢ In-game map-resizing
¢ Learning Mode enhanced with a couple more features
¢ Scrolling the map with the mouse is greatly improved
¢ Added some new generic object graphics, and hex-shaped masking objects
¢ and much more.

As usual, see the included ReadMe file for more details. The Encounter file format has changed, so you won't be able to use Encounters made in RC1 or earlier in RC2.

Pre-order customers please read: Due to a flaw in the licensing scheme used in RC1, I've had to change the license verification algorithm, so previously-issued license keys will not work with RC2 and beyond. I will be issuing new license codes to all pre-order customers ASAP, starting tomorrow. Send me an e-mail to get bumped to the top of the list (first come, first served).

The zoom feature is not fully implemented yet. It's just offered as a preview of what's to come, so it isn't covered in the User Manual yet. Zooming works by pressing [-] to zoom out and [+] to zoom in. The zoom increments by 10% each time you press the key. If you have a unit selected, you'll end up rotating the unit instead of zooming. You can (currently) only drag units with the mouse while at the 100% (1:1) zoom level. Zoom levels range from 30%-200% (.3:1 to 2:1).

This release has been a long time coming, but I think you'll find it was worth the wait. :D

Note that this is the last beta version that will be released prior to BRPG's official release (you've heard that once or twice before, but this time it's for real). It is our last chance to weed out any lingering bugs and make BRPG v1.0 run as smoothly as possible, so keep those bug reports and feedback notes coming, please.

heruca
Developer

RC2a is now available for download

Post by heruca » Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:51 am

A patch for BRPG Release Candidate 2 (aka RC2) is now available from the Downloads page.

RC2a is a patch, not a full installation, so you need to have RC2 previously installed.

Installation Instructions:
1) Expand the zip file to a location of your choosing.
2) Delete any files in your Encounter folder. The Encounter file format has changed, so you won't be able to use Encounters that were made in RC2 or earlier.
3) Select all the enclosed files except for the folders whose names start with "Place Contents in...".
4) Drag the selected files into your RC2 directory and overwrite all the existing files when prompted.
5) Open each of the remaining folders in turn and drag its contents into the appropriate RC2 directory.
6) Delete all the now-empty folders.

The main focus of this update is making multiuser connections more robust, stable, and reliable. It also adds Fog of War masking tools. And, as usual, there are a few bug fixes.

As usual, see the included ReadMe file for more details. There's no update User Manual yet, so you'll have to figure out how the FoW masking tools work based on the ReadMe info. It's pretty easy, though. Just remember to toggle the Caps Lock key as needed.

Don't expect any major new features between now and v1.0. I'll just be fixing bugs and improving stability, for the most part.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:35 pm

The final, hyperlinked User Manual for BRPG v1.0 is now available for download on the main site's Downloads page. You can now click on each entry on the Table of Contents to go to the respective page in the manual. :D

All that remains for v1.0 to be released are some bug fixes and the finishing touches on the sample mini-adventure. Next week is looking pretty likely.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:06 am

BRPG v1.0 is now available for download on the main site's Downloads page. I'm locking this "Sneak Preview" thread, as it's obsolete.