Battlegrounds: RPG Edition Sneak Preview

Battlegrounds Games product release announcements
heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Mar 07, 2006 3:29 am

The testing went very well, so I expect to have 1.0.6 posted later today (Tuesday).
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

heruca
Developer

Beta 1.0.6 Available

Post by heruca » Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:35 pm

BRPG Sneak Preview beta 1.0.6 is now available from the Downloads page. It's under Updates.

Because beta 1.0.6 is a patch, and not a full install, you will need to have beta 1.0.5 or 1.0.5a already installed.

Installation Instructions:
1) Expand the zip file, then drag the files it contains into your beta 1.0.5 or beta 1.0.5a installation. Click Yes or OK to overwrite any existing files.
2) Rename the Mac application "BRPG (Mac beta 106).osx".
3) Rename the Windows executable "BRPG (Windows beta 106).exe".

The main focus of this update is fixing most of the known bugs from previous beta versions, and it also adds the ability to transfer maps and tokens to connected clients. As usual, see the included ReadMe file for more details.

Caveats:
Don't use AoEs in online games.
Don't delete units in online games.
Don't shuffle the stacking order of units using the Unit Manager in online games.
Only begin placing units in online games after all players have joined.
Only transfer JPG-format maps for now, or the transfer will fail.
Only transfer maps under 2 MBs for now, or the transfer will fail. Maps larger than that should be preloaded by the players prior to logging in. Alternatively, you can apply more JPG compression to a map (using a graphics app) to get it under 2 MBs. Eventually this map size limitation will be dealth with, by transferring the map in smaller segments that are reassembled on the client's end.
Large maps can take several minutes to transfer, largely depending on the GM's upload speed. Momentary "freezing up" may occur on both the GM's and the Players' computers until the transfer is complete. After a map has been received by a player, any future loading of that map will be nearly instantaneous (just the time it tokes to load the graphic into RAM and decompress it).
If you want a player to have permission to move a figure, you must assign that player as the owner.
Last edited by heruca on Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:51 pm

Just to pre-empt some bug reports, if you're having trouble with the "Attack" and "Target" functions in online games, try stepping the sequence and see if that resolves the problem.

masterlurker
Captain

Post by masterlurker » Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:26 am

I got this crazy, cryptic message about the release so I'm snagging it now.
~lurker~
Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society. -- Mark Twain

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:15 pm

Been up all night chugging away at beta 1.0.7., but it's finally ready, and is uploading to the server now. I'll post a link in the Downloads page as soon as it's done.

heruca
Developer

Beta 1.0.7 Available

Post by heruca » Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:17 pm

BRPG Sneak Preview beta 1.0.7 is now available from the Downloads page.

Beta 1.0.7 is a full installation, not a patch, so you don't need to have anything else previously installed. If you already have an earlier beta installed, please install this to a new directory. I've pulled the earlier beta versions, as they are now obsolete (and all those patches were getting unmanageable for newcomers).

1) Expand the zip file to a location of your choosing.

The main focus of this update is finishing the bulk of the multiuser code. This version adds the ability to save and load Encounters, transfer visual aids and audio files to connected clients, as well as to roll dice in online games (except for the percentile dice, which aren't working yet). There's also a new button on the GM's chat window. Pressing it will report the GM's external IP address, if he/she is behind a router. You'll also find that all the unit artwork has been redone so that it looks much better on any map. And there are a handful of new generic maps and visual aids included with the game engine (all under 2 MBs, so they will transfer just fine). Many bugs from prior beta versions have also been fixed. Sorry, but the User Manual hasn't been updated yet to cover the new features. As usual, see the included ReadMe file for more details.

Caveats:
Don't use Area of Effect overlays in online games.
Only transfer JPG-format maps for now, or the transfer will fail.
Only transfer maps under 2 MBs for now, or the transfer will fail. Maps larger than that should be preloaded by the players prior to logging in. Alternatively, you can apply more JPG compression to a map (using a graphics app) to get it under 2 MBs. Eventually this map size limitation will be dealth with, by transferring the map in smaller segments that are reassembled on the client's end.
Large maps can take several minutes to transfer, largely depending on the GM's upload speed. Momentary "freezing up" may occur on both the GM's and the Players' computers until the transfer is complete. After a map has been received by a player, any future loading of that map will be nearly instantaneous (just the time it tokes to load the graphic into RAM and decompress it).
If you want a player to have permission to move a figure, you must assign that player as the owner.

Note that there will be one last beta version prior to the product's official release. It will be our last chance to weed out any lingering bugs and make BRPG v1.0 run as smoothly as possible, so keep those bug reports coming, please. I realize this means we'll slip to an early April release date, but there's a number of rough edges I want to smooth out so that everyone can have a great "out of the box" experience.

And after that, expect some cool and useful new features in future product updates.

Halebop

Post by Halebop » Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:13 pm

Snagged!

Halebop

Post by Halebop » Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:41 am

Looks good Heruca. Loving being able to save encounters. Will have to start work on the "other thing" :wink:

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:42 am

It's worth doing a few test saves before getting too deep in a project. Try both saving to a new file and overwriting an existing file. Then check that they saved OK by loading each of them in turn.

If everything works as it should, we can all start saving with confidence. I used to occassionally crash upon saving, but I think I got that fixed. Just be careful in these early days of always having a backup saved Encounter if things should go wrong.

smatt1001
General

Post by smatt1001 » Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:55 pm

Snagged and I'll keep that in mind
Well, if BRPG someday becomes a household name (at least among gamer households), smatt1001 will be able to boast that he was the first person in the world to buy a license.

heruca
Developer

User Manual updated to cover beta 1.0.8

Post by heruca » Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:12 pm

The updated and revised User Manual is now posted. See the home page for details.

Bonus: I figured out how to compress the PDF, so it's now just 2.8 MBs, instead of 10.6, despite having added 5 pages and a few more graphics.

Be sure to right-click and save it, unless you want it to open in your browser with the Acrobat Reader plugin.

Spyke
Captain

Post by Spyke » Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:49 pm

The manual's looking good, Heruca. I notice now that hex grids won't be in the initial release. I'm behind you all the way with getting the product out there, as of course the software will be useable without them, and the big market is d20 players, but we do need either hex grids enabled or 'Snap to grid' disabled for GURPS. Is one of these planned for the next few months?

Spyke

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:03 pm

Welcome, Spyke.

I am definitely expecting hex support within the next couple of months (hey, I want to play, too!).

Right now the hold up is that hex-based Area of Effect overlays aren't programmed in, nor are hex figure bases larger than 1 hex. Hex mode for the map grid itself is already working, just temporarily disabled.

I'm afraid I'm not sure if disabling snap to grid will come before or after hex support.

Spyke
Captain

Post by Spyke » Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:15 pm

Thanks for the welcome. I've actually been lurking for some time. :)

Good news on the hexes. If it helps, I'd rather see hexes enabled before snap-to-grid with the movement method that you have now (number keys), but if you are thinking of updating the movement to drag and drop with the mouse then disabling snap to grid would be better (because I could then just load a map with its own hex grid and not worry about scaling to BG.

Spyke

heruca
Developer

Beta 1.0.8 Available

Post by heruca » Sun Apr 16, 2006 10:35 pm

BRPG Sneak Preview beta 1.0.8 is now available from the Downloads page.

Beta 1.0.8 is a full installation, not a patch, so you don't need to have anything else previously installed. If you already have an earlier beta installed, please install this to a new directory. I've pulled the earlier beta versions, as they are now obsolete.

The main focus of this update is bug fixes and adding the dynamic Fog of War features. This version also adds a number of new maps and figure tokens (graciously provided by Devinnight), as well as some generic tokens (created by Kalmarjan) that should prove useful for deploying "stand-alone" AoEs or map notes. As usual, see the included ReadMe file for more details. It covers some last-minute changes that were made that didn't make it into the 1.0.8 User Manual.

Keep those bug reports and feedback notes coming, please.

(Edited by heruca to reflect that 1.0.8 is no longer the last beta version)
Last edited by heruca on Tue May 02, 2006 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Apr 16, 2006 11:03 pm

IMPORTANT: Please hold off on downloading 1.0.8. I just pulled it because it has a couple of minor things I need to fix. Sorry about that. Will repost it ASAP.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Apr 17, 2006 12:47 pm

OK, it's fixed and reposted. Enjoy!

Halebop

Post by Halebop » Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:36 am

Cool. Great to see A Fog of War version posted! Animation is a cool concept too.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Apr 18, 2006 2:35 am

I'm just testing the waters in this release with a couple of simple animations (one of which includes sound).

Unfortunately, animations are something that only I can add to the program. I hope to someday make available an (optional) Animated Effects plug-in. This would be sold separately, for those who want the feature.

I'm thinking spell effects, explosions, fire, smoke, traps, and so on. Ideally, stuff that works for all or most genres.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue May 02, 2006 5:40 am

I'm so bummed that beta 1.0.8's "surprise" animation feature got absolutely no comments or feedback. :cry:

Halebop's comment doesn't count, since he helped create the animations.

heruca
Developer

Beta 1.0.9 Available

Post by heruca » Tue May 02, 2006 6:00 am

BRPG Sneak Preview beta 1.0.9 is now available from the Downloads page.

Beta 1.0.9 is a full installation, not a patch, so you don't need to have anything else previously installed. If you already have an earlier beta installed, please install this to a new directory. I've pulled the earlier beta versions, as they are now obsolete.

The main focus of this update is bug fixes, enhancing the user interface, and responding to user feedback.

Beta 1.0.9 features include:
¢ diagonal movement on square grids
¢ unit movement keys and unit rotation keys have been remapped to use the more intuitive keypad layout
¢ a slightly larger map size
¢ larger monster bases (6 x 6 squares)
¢ a new Learning Mode
¢ some new object graphics for Fog of War masking
¢ some new object graphics for marking Darkness spells
¢ a "Chat As..." feature
¢ and much more.

As usual, see the included ReadMe file for more details. The User Manual has not yet been updated to cover these changes and additions, but the built-in Help screen has.

Note that this is the last beta version that will be released prior to BRPG's official release. It is our last chance to weed out any lingering bugs and make BRPG v1.0 run as smoothly as possible, so keep those bug reports and feedback notes coming, please.

Kepli
High Commander

Post by Kepli » Tue May 02, 2006 6:29 am

Guess I was too early with looking :lol:
I'll wait a few minutes and then try again ;)

Kepli
High Commander

Post by Kepli » Tue May 02, 2006 6:38 am

Ah ... there it is ... (not that I am going to download 80MB at work, but still ;) )
The changes you mention are very welcome and will make playing a lot more intuitive and pleasureable. Never seen a developer who listens to his forum members this well. FG does a good job too, but are a bit slow at this time. Same for DJ. Excellent work Heruca ... can't wait for V1.0 :D

Halebop

Post by Halebop » Tue May 02, 2006 6:47 am

Snagging!

heruca
Developer

Beta 1.0.9a Patch Available

Post by heruca » Thu May 18, 2006 12:49 am

A patch for BRPG Sneak Preview beta 1.0.9 is now available from the Downloads page.

Beta 1.0.9a is a patch, not a full installation, so you need to have beta 1.0.9 previously installed.

2) Select all the enclosed files except for the folders whose names start with "Place Contents in...".
3) Drag the selected files into your beta 1.0.9 directory and overwrite all the existing files when prompted.
4) Open each of the remaining folders in turn and drag its contents into the appropriate beta 1.0.9 directory.
5. Delete all the now-empty folders.

The main focus of this update is bug fixes and responding to user feedback.

Beta 1.0.9a features include:
¢ die rolls are now reported and logged in the chat window
¢ the FoW mask and masking objects are now flat black (untextured)
¢ it bears repeating, this fixes a LOT of bugs

As usual, see the included ReadMe file for more details.