Battlegrounds: RPG Edition Sneak Preview

Battlegrounds Games product release announcements
masterlurker
Captain

Post by masterlurker » Sat Dec 24, 2005 9:40 pm

heruca wrote:Blame the beta testers for not catching this. Oh wait, there weren't any beta testers. They're all off for Christmas. :D
Well, maybe if you actually sent it to your playtestors, the whole holiday thing would be a problem :wink: :P
~lurker~
Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society. -- Mark Twain

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Dec 26, 2005 11:41 am

I just posted an update (v1.0.1) for the Sneak Preview. You can get it from the Downloads page. This update contains only those files which have been changed, so it's a smaller download.

Installation: Unzip the file, then drag and drop the new files into your Sneak Preview directory to replace the original files. When prompted, say "Yes to All".

And with that, I am going away until January 3rd. I will not have internet access where I am going, so I'll be out of touch until then. Hopefully Halebop and Erian can help answer some questions while I am away.

FYI, I'll be working on getting the full Demo ready. I hope to have some significant progress for when I return.

Take care, everyone, and Happy New Year!
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Dormouse
General

Post by Dormouse » Mon Dec 26, 2005 12:20 pm

heruca wrote:And with that, I am going away until January 3rd.
Have a good holiday - you deserve it.

Steel Rat
General

Post by Steel Rat » Mon Dec 26, 2005 7:52 pm

I haven't tried bringing in a new map, but I agree, it should just let you bring in whatever graphic you want, maybe it's not even a map... So really, it DOESN'T need to take into account the different mapping programs, just let you bring in any graphic.
Steel Rat
Infinite Ordnance: Military RPG supplements
RPGMapShare.com - Free map and mapping object repository.

Scott G
Cannon Fodder

Post by Scott G » Tue Dec 27, 2005 12:52 am

Greetings,

I'll also be a GM at Cyber Con. I'm very interested in the Cyber Con specific version that was mentioned elsewhere. Where can I sign up for that promotion?

Mind Flayer Monk
Sergeant

Post by Mind Flayer Monk » Tue Dec 27, 2005 8:14 am

Hi Scott G,
I think the Cyber con version will be ready in late January. For now you can dowload a copy of the beta version. Im not sure when they are going to take sign ups, but Im sure just by expressing your intrest and posting here one of the site admins will get back to you when its ready to go.
(I have no relation to this site/forum, but am just trying to give you a quick summary of what I think will happen from the posts I've read so far)
Last edited by Mind Flayer Monk on Wed Dec 28, 2005 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
--I must feed

Halebop

Post by Halebop » Tue Dec 27, 2005 9:00 am

Scott G wrote:Greetings,

I'll also be a GM at Cyber Con. I'm very interested in the Cyber Con specific version that was mentioned elsewhere. Where can I sign up for that promotion?
Hi Scott,

Heruca is out of contact for a couple of days but he'll be sure to confirm the details once he gets back. I only have limited understanding of the Cybercon offer but if I got the details right any eligible GMs will be given access to a special limited use version of BGRPG that expires at the end of the convention.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:18 am

Welcome, Scott G.

Thanks for your interest in using BRPG at CyberCon.

The CyberCon-specific BRPG software should be available in late January, hopefully a few days before the first event, so that people have a chance to play around with the software and get familiar with it prior to playing any actual games.

I suspect it will be made available for download both here and somewhere on the CyberCon site. In the meantime, I suggest you play around with the beta version (I plan to post a beta 1.0.2 update within the next hour or two).

I´m not sure what the requirements are for GMing at CyberCon. I assume you have to sign up there for running an event. What I do know is that you will want to prepare your maps, unit graphics, sound effects, etc. ahead of time (the beta software should suffice for that, except for the fact that you can´t save your encounter setups yet). You´ll find info about where you can download useful assets on the Links & Resources page of the main site.

Note that the CyberCon-specific BRPG software will only function through the last day of the Con (Feb 6, I think), as it will rely on some form of server authentication and an event password. I´m pretty sure that any adventure content you create will be completely compatible with the full version once it´s out, so you may want to keep your adventure´s assets folders.
Last edited by heruca on Fri Dec 30, 2005 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:22 am

Steel Rat wrote:it should just let you bring in whatever graphic you want, maybe it's not even a map... So really, it DOESN'T need to take into account the different mapping programs, just let you bring in any graphic.
You can do that, SR. But non-map graphics would probably best be sent as a visual aid than as a map (unless you need to place objects on top of it and move them around).

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:55 am

I am posting another update (beta 1.0.2) for the Sneak Preview. Since I´m on the road and can´t edit the Downloads page, I´ll post a link to it here as soon as it´s done uploading. Once again, this update contains only those files which have been changed, to keep download size small.

Installation is the same as for beta 1.0.1: Unzip the downloaded file, then drag and drop the new files into your Sneak Preview directory to replace the original files. When prompted, say "Yes to All".

I strongly suggest you read the included ReadMe file, to see what´s new and fixed in this version, and to avoid posting known bugs.
Last edited by heruca on Fri Dec 30, 2005 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kepli
High Commander

Post by Kepli » Fri Dec 30, 2005 11:16 am

Ok, ok, I'll read the "read me" file this time :P

But eh ... where can I find 1.02? I only got 1.01 from the Download page :o

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Dec 30, 2005 12:09 pm

Oops! Everything I posted today referring to 1.0.3 should have been 1.0.2. There is no 1.0.3 yet. :oops:

I´m editing all my posts to remove references to 1.0.3, to avoid further confusion.
Last edited by heruca on Fri Dec 30, 2005 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kepli
High Commander

Post by Kepli » Fri Dec 30, 2005 12:11 pm

he he he ... :lol:

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Dec 30, 2005 12:25 pm

Edit: Link to beta 1.0.2 removed, since it had to be pulled. Please see the announcement on the home page.
Last edited by heruca on Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kepli
High Commander

Post by Kepli » Fri Dec 30, 2005 12:36 pm

Uhm ... I start BRPG 1.02 (on Windows XP SP2) and it asks to make a DNS connection. After allowing that, the application moves to the background as a process and that was it ...

Now I get a black screen and I can't load a map ...

A moment

Update: Ok I think I made a mess of it ... do I have to install 1.01 before 1.02?

Update 2: Removed everything, installed the preview, then 1.01 and then 1.02 ... I get a black screen after start-up and nothing works right :cry:
I cannot load a map ... placing an object results in a script error and that's where I stopped.

Kepli
High Commander

Post by Kepli » Fri Dec 30, 2005 12:50 pm

Just checked and installing the preview and update 1.01 works fine.

Steel Rat
General

Post by Steel Rat » Fri Dec 30, 2005 2:47 pm

Unclear as to where the update should be extracted, it doesn't have the same path info as the original. You really need a setup application.
Steel Rat
Infinite Ordnance: Military RPG supplements
RPGMapShare.com - Free map and mapping object repository.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:57 pm

heruca wrote:Installation is the same as for beta 1.0.1: Unzip the downloaded file, then drag and drop the new files into your Sneak Preview directory to replace the original files. When prompted, say "Yes to All".
Since this is an update and not a full install, you need to have installed 1.0.0 somewhere, and then update it to 1.0.1, before applying the 1.0.2 files.

Gwindel
Captain

Payments

Post by Gwindel » Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:02 pm

Have you already decided how it shall be possible to pay for BRPG. Shall it be possible to pay through Paypal (that would be my favourite method)?
More people are driven insane through religious hysteria than by drinking alcohol. — W. C. Fields

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:19 pm

Paypal will probably be the only option at first, but I eventually hope to provide alternative payment methods.

dittotb
Soldier

Beta 102?

Post by dittotb » Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:39 pm

I have tried the link to Beta 102 but it just gives me an error. It this just meant for your beta testers?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:00 pm

Beta 1.0.2 had problems, so it's been pulled. Please see the announcement on the home page for more details.

heruca
Developer

Just a quick update

Post by heruca » Sun Jan 08, 2006 8:58 pm

Beta 1.0.3 of the Sneak Preview Demo is now entering the final testing stage. If all goes well, it could be posted for download as soon as tonight.

Halebop

Post by Halebop » Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:17 am

Yay!

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Jan 09, 2006 5:14 am

Unfortunately, I found several bugs during testing that need fixing before I can release beta 1.0.3. So I may need one more day. :(