BGE v1.7 is now available for download. It is to be considered in beta status for the time being.
The main features of this update are:
• Added support for BGE license subscriptions via Patreon
• Artpack registration can now be performed in an automated manner via the Battlegrounds server
• Completely overhauled the Anchor and Group commands (they now work properly and reliably!)
• Added a "Move Forward" command (especially useful in gridless tabletop miniatures games)
• Rotation of units has been overhauled and improved upon, allowing more precise control than ever before (including 1 or 5 degree increments)
• More animation than ever before when manipulating units
• Added a means of permanently storing settings that one previously had to set every single game session (e.g. Disable the Views palette)
• Lots of little optimizations, enhancements, performance boosts, and extra polish
• Numerous bug fixes
The format for Game Files and Deployments has changed since BGE v1.6. There should be format parity between BGE v1.7 and BRPG v1.8d (once it's released). Therefore, Game Files and Encounter files should be interchangeable between these programs. The same is true for Deployment files.
This is a Full Install. A patch version is available below. Download BGE v1.7 here:Windows version
(49.6 MB) Mac Zip version
(50.5 MB) Mac DMG version
For convenience, BGE v1.7 is also available as a patch for BGE v1.5 or BGE v1.6. You must
already have BGE v1.5 or v1.6 installed in order to use this patch.Download:BGE v1.7 Patch for Mac & Windows
How to "install" this patch: Unzip the downloaded file, then simply move the included files into the corresponding BGE v1.5 or BGE v1.6 folders, overwriting the existing files when prompted.
Although a ReadMe file with the information below is contained in the BGE v1.7 download, some people might find it useful to see the changes prior to downloading the zip file.Version History:
• Added support for BGE license subscriptions via Patreon
• Artpack registration can now be performed in an automated manner via the Battlegrounds server. This will be particularly useful when registering large bundles containing many artpacks, as it will save the user from having to manually register potentially dozens of artpacks.
• Completely overhauled the Anchor and Group commands. Tabletop miniatures wargames should benefit the most from these improvements, as it is now possible to rotate or pivot formations of units.
• Added a "Lock" command to the contextual popup menu that appears when you right-click on a multi-unit selection. Note that units are automatically deselected after executing this command. This feature should come in handy particularly for games where the gameboard is created from many tile components prior to the start of the game.
• BGE will now warn you if you attempt to open a Game File or Deployment that was created in a newer version of the software than the one you are currently running.
• Added a "Move Forward" command to the contextual popup menu for components. This command is only available if the grid type is square, and only if the component is listed in the Turn Sequencer. A submenu allows you to select how far to move (there are eight options, ranging between 1/4 square and 2 squares). By selecting the range the unit will move that far in the direction it is pointing. This feature is especially useful in tabletop miniatures games. The "Move Forward" command can also be invoked by pressing [Shift + a number between 1 and 8] while a single component is selected. The number pressed will determine the distance moved in a forward direction.
• Added a "Rotate" command to the contextual popup menus for both single unit selections and multi-unit selections. Selecting this command will access submenus for rotating the unit/s Clockwise or Counter-Clockwise, and selecting either option will provide four choices (increments in degrees) in a further submenu: 90°/60° (depending on grid type), 15°, 5°, and 1°. Unit rotation is best done with the mouse wheel or hotkeys, but this menu-drive method was added because of the inability of the mousewheel to accept modifier key presses (Control, Alt, etc.) to adjust its effect when the program is running on Windows OS.
• Optimized performance of a number of game state updates on remote clients.
• Most of the parameters accessible from the "Session-specific Settings" submenu of the BG button's popup menu are now saved to a preferences file so that the user-selected settings persist between BGE sessions.
• Added a "Save current settings as default for future sessions" command to the "Session-specific Settings" submenu of the BG button's popup menu.
• Added a "Move & Rotate Independently" command. It is only available if Learning Mode is disabled, and only for grouped units or those with units anchored to them. Selecting this command allows you to move and/or rotate the unit freely, without regard for units that would ordinarily follow in tow. The use of this ability ends when you click the mouse.
• Updated the second Help screen to reflect recent changes to hotkey assignments.
• Added some new commands to the Flash API.
• Cleaned up a lot of legacy code for clarity and to make it significantly easier to add new features and debug should a v2 of BGE ever be developed.
• Change: Using the "Measure Move command will now also move any grouped or anchored units.
• Change: Updates sent to connected clients during a drag operation are now performed with less frequency, for a less-jarring experience on the remote clients' end.
• Change: Zooming in or out (whether with the mouse's scroll wheel or with the arrow keys) now functions differently. The default zoom increment is now 50% (previously 10%), holding down the Control key makes it 10%, the Control key and the ALT key (Option key on Macs) together makes it 5%, and holding down just the ALT/Option key changes the zoom level by 1%.
• Change: Invoking the Stack/Stagger commands now animates the units moving/sliding into place, as will changing the Stagger offsets while units are selected.
• Change: When moving multiple units using the movement hotkeys, the sliding animation now happens for all the units simultaneously, not sequentially, as before. The same is true on the screens of remote clients.
• Change: When rotating multiple units, the rotation animation now happens for all the units simultaneously, not sequentially, as before. The same is true on the screens of remote clients.
• Change: When rotating an anchor, having the spacebar pressed will now cause all the anchored units (but not the anchor itself) to maintain their current facing. This is useful if you want to rotate a gameboard and have the pieces maintain their relative positions on the board while staying right-side up.
• Change: It is no longer possible to rotate a unit by 180 degrees in a single action using modifier keys. Instead, it is now possible to rotate units in 1 degree increments. Rotating 180 degrees should now be performed with multiple keypresses (2 presses on a square grid, or 3 presses on a hex grid), or better yet, with the mouse's scrollwheel.
• Change: Anyone (not just the host) can now set the stagger offset via the Chat window (see pg. 87 of the BGE User Manual).
• Change: The "Nudge" command now also moves any units that were grouped with or anchored to the selected unit.
• Change: The "View..." submenu in the game table window's contextual popup menu now lists the hotkey shortcut to access each enabled View.
• Bug fix: The "View..." submenu in the game table window's contextual popup menu no longer lists unused Views.
• Bug fix: Mini bases were not being initialized correctly when loading a game file or deployment file.
• Bug fix: Moving and rotating grouped units should now work as expected, regardless of the moving unit's current facing and the current grid type (square or hex).
• Bug fix: Moving and rotating anchored units should now work as expected, regardless of the moving unit's current facing and the current grid type (square or hex).
• Bug fix: Unmovable units were draggable when Snap-to-Grid was disabled, even though the unit would snap back to it's original position when it was released.
• Bug fix: In multiplayer game sessions, moving or otherwise updating a mini would cause an error on connected clients.
• Bug fix: When you add a Portrait to a unit, "Use Current Token" is now automatically disabled in the Portrait submenu.
• Bug fix: Rotating a unit/s in small increments (i.e., with a modifier key/s pressed) was resulting in no undo state being logged for that action.
• Bug fix: Fixed an issue where the Base Size of a Mini was sometimes not being set or retained properly after closing the Edit Mini panel.
• Bug fix: In the Edit Mini panel, even if you enabled the "Apply these settings to existing units" checkbox, the Base Size was not being updated on existing Minis after clicking the OK button to close the panel.
• Bug fix: When closing the Edit Mini panel, sometimes an error would occur because the token-style parameter (e.g., front view, portrait-style, or top-down) was not being set, and the entire edit operation would be aborted.
• Bug fix: Text labels on a mini were being misplaced if the mini had a 2x1 square base.
• Bug fix: Attacker and Target labels were being misplaced on a mini if the mini had a 2x1 square base.
• Bug fix: Found and corrected several instances where Chat window system messages were addressing the "GM" instead of the "Host".
• Bug fix: Media assets received from a host during an online game session were not being saved to the client's media library, and would need to be re-transmitted in subsequent game sessions.