BGE v1.6 beta released

Battlegrounds Games product release announcements

BGE v1.6 beta released

Postby heruca » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:41 pm

BGE v1.6 is now available for download. It is to be considered in beta status for the time being.

The main features of this update are:
• Added a "Replace Token" command for updating token artwork on a unit.
• Added a "Replace Portrait" command for updating portrait artwork on a unit.
• Added an optional "Autostatus" feature for automatically updating the Status color of a unit as it takes damage or is healed
• Added the ability to adjust a unit's Hit Points (heal or injure) without accessing the Turn Sequencer
• Improved the way dice macros are displayed in the popup menus, for faster access to global dice macros
• Added 2x1 square bases for minis
• Added an "Unmovable" property to units
• Re-implemented and greatly expanded support for Flash media, and established an API for Flash<>BGE communication
• Minor bug fixes

The format for Game Files and Deployments has changed since BGE v1.5. There should now be format parity between BGE v1.6 and BRPG v1.8a or higher. Therefore, Game Files and Encounter files should be interchangeable between these programs. The same is true for Deployment files.

BGE v1.6 is currently only available as a patch for BGE v1.5. You must already have BGE v1.5 installed in order to use this patch.

Download:
BGE v1.6 Patch for Mac & Windows (20.6 MB)

How to "install" this patch: Unzip the downloaded file, then simply move the included files into the corresponding BGE v1.5 folders, overwriting the existing files when prompted.

Although a ReadMe file with the information below is contained in the BGE v1.6 download, some people might find it useful to see the changes prior to downloading the zip file.

Version History:
v1.6

• Added the ability to replace the token image on a unit (the currently-displayed token, on a multi-token unit). Simply select the "Replace Token" command from the Token submenu of a unit's contextual popup menu. This feature should be particularly useful for game designers using BGE as a digital prototyping and playtesting tool, if they need to update certain game components with re-designed game components.
• Added the ability to replace the portrait image on a unit (the currently-displayed portrait, on a multi-portrait unit). Simply select the "Replace Portrait" command from the Portrait submenu of a unit's contextual popup menu. This feature should be particularly useful for game designers using BGE as a digital prototyping and playtesting tool, if they need to update certain game components with re-designed game components.
• Added the ability to have BGE automatically update the Status of units listed in the Turn Sequencer according to conditions specified by the host. The Turn Sequencer Setup Wizard is used to specify the conditions to be evaluated every time a unit's Hit Point value changes. Autostatus is disabled by default. The feature becomes enabled when the host configures the conditions to be evaluated. The autostatus feature can also be disabled again, if desired.
• Added the ability to alter a unit's Hit Points (heal or injure) directly from the unit's contextual popup menu, without need of editing the appropriate row/s in the Turn Sequencer. This feature also works for multi-unit selections.
• Added 2x1 square bases in all the supported base colors.
• Added 2x1 square status halos in all the supported status colors.
• When exporting a media bundle, the user is now warned if required media assets are missing, and is presented with a list of the names of the missing assets.
• Added an "Unmovable" property to units. Selecting the "Unmovable" command from a unit's contextual popup menu toggles the setting on or off. An unmovable unit can be selected and actions can be performed on it (e.g., rotate, roll, swap token, etc.), but it cannot be dragged to a different location or moved using the movement hotkeys. The Movement Guide overlay will not appear for an unmovable unit. The "Measure Move" command is not available for unmovable units.
• Updated the file format for Encounters.
• Updated the file format for Deployments.
• Re-implemented Flash->BGE and BGE->Flash communication.
• Added a "Flash Settings" panel, to control the appearance and behavior of Flash units. The panel is accessed by selecting the "Flash Settings" command from a unit's contextual popup menu. This command is only available when the current token being displayed by a unit is a Flash asset.
• Added a property to Flash-based units to allow BGE hotkeys to be disabled when typing in a Flash sprite that contains a text input field.
• Added several Flash-specific functions, including the ability to select all minis, select all components, and select all Tiles.
• Change: When placing a component, it now defaults to having Antialias enabled, and to having Portrait set to "Use current token". This change should make creating a typical game conversion noticeably faster.
• The Dice Macro popup menu at the bottom of the game table window now shows global dice macros in a list, rather than tucked away in a submenu, for quicker access to them during play. Dice macros attached to minis are now listed in a submenu. The same goes for dice macros attached to components. This change in behavior has also been applied to the Dice Macro button on the Chat window, as well as in the Dice Roller window.
• Bug fix: Addressed some permissions issues having to do with the recently-added Flash functionality.
• Bug fix: Addressed a case of potential data corruption when reconfiguring the autostatus settings.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.
heruca
Developer

Re: BGE v1.6 beta released

Postby heruca » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:49 pm

Some instructions are in order for using the new Autostatus feature:
To enable the autostatus feature and menu-driven HP adjustment, you will need to open the Turn Sequencer, and from there open the The Turn Sequencer Setup Wizard by clicking on the "Configure" button. Navigate to the last screen of the Wizard to set the autostatus conditions. You may want to do a "Save As..." of your TS Settings to have your old settings to fall back to should something go wrong or not be to your liking.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.
heruca
Developer

Postby heruca » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:11 am

Anyone who downloaded the BGE v1.6 Patch prior to today should also download and install the attached file below. It contains a bug fix pertaining to the new Unmovable unit property. This bug fix is already included in the BGE v1.6 Patch as of today.

Edit: File removed, see below.
heruca
Developer

Postby heruca » Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:32 am

Anyone who downloaded the BGE v1.6 Patch prior to today should also download and install the attached file below. It contains a couple of bug fixes, pertaining to the new Unmovable unit property and to auto-updating of the Deployment file format. These bug fixes are already included in the BGE v1.6 Patch as of today.

Unzip the file, then place the new "Game Table.dxr" file in BGE's "Support Files" folder.
Attachments
Game Table.zip
(2.45 MiB) Downloaded 266 times
heruca
Developer

Postby KeithS » Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:11 am

Down loaded the zip file apparently OK and the downloaded zip file displays a size of 21,051 Kb but when I try to run extract all from Windows Explorer the extract fails saying the zip file is invalid. Does the file require a specific commercial unzip utility e.g. WinZip?
KeithS
Soldier

Postby heruca » Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:48 am

It shouldn't. The Zip file was created on a Mac using a utility designed to create Windows-friendly archives. I may have to recreate the Zip file on an actual Windows PC. Will let you know when the new file is uploaded.
heruca
Developer

Postby heruca » Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:01 pm

OK, new Zip file posted for the Patch. Try again, Keith, and let me know if that solved the issue you were having.
heruca
Developer

Postby KeithS » Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:08 pm

Thanks, the new file extracts without a problem.
KeithS
Soldier

Postby ZenMonkey11 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:18 pm

I patched 1.6 into 1.5 and it seems to make my Aliens game lag. It's hard to move pieces at times. Everything is slow to respond to my mouse clicks. I also have Intruder; that seems to work well (very smooth). I tried Alines in version 1.5 and it ran much better.
ZenMonkey11
Sergeant

Postby heruca » Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:39 pm

This might be related to the number of units on the gameboard. The Intruder game has far less components than Aliens.

Try this:
In BGE v1.6, with the Aliens game loaded up, pull down the BG button's menu, go to "Session-specific settings", and select "Disable Flash unit updates". See if that makes the lag go away.
heruca
Developer

Postby ZenMonkey11 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:46 pm

I tried what you said and it still lags. Any other tips would be helpful.

Any chance you might update the Aliens game and perhaps add the rest of the levels?, That would be cool
ZenMonkey11
Sergeant

Postby heruca » Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:39 pm

Oh, you're talking about the Aliens boardgame, not "Aliens: This Time It's War" (the card game). That doesn't have that many components at all, though it does have a fair number of minis. Are you using the game "as is" (with perhaps just a few cloned Alien minis), or have you duplicated the Alien minis so as to have dozens available at one time?

Try zooming way out? Still laggy? Then zoom way in. Laggy?

Now delete most of the minis. Still laggy? I am trying to ascertain whether the lag comes from having too many minis displayed at once, or having a large mapboard.
heruca
Developer

Postby ZenMonkey11 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:45 pm

Sorry for not clarifying. I'm going to try your tips now and update you. Just to let you know, I played the game as is. No extra Aliens. One thing I can tell you thats odd about the lag; is before the 1.6 patch, I could just click on a mini and drag it around, but now, sometimes i click a mini and my mouse pointer has to move far from the mini before it drags it.
ZenMonkey11
Sergeant

Postby ZenMonkey11 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:23 am

I tried all your tips and I still have lag.
ZenMonkey11
Sergeant

Postby Jyornan » Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:41 pm

How many Miniatures will this version support. I was disappointed that the 1.5 version kept giving me sprite errors. I was hoping to use this software to play a tabletop war game which uses around 200 units per side. Is there a way to accommodate this in BGE or was my money ill spent. :|
Jyornan
Cannon Fodder

Postby heruca » Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:09 am

Minis consume 5 times as many game sprites as components. I suggest you use the new command to transform Minis into Components, in order to retain whatever you've laid out so far, and from then on just place your units as components.

BGE supports around 600 components at this time, so you should have no trouble playing games at the scale you mentioned. Be aware, however, that you may hit a temporary threshold when you reach 300 components. At this point, you need to save the game file, then reload it. BGE will reallocate resources at this point to allow you to place more components.
heruca
Developer

Return to Product Releases