Call for help: Need photos from projector users

Find or advertise games. Show us how you use BRPG and/or BGE!

Feel free to post screenshots!
ronin
Soldier

Post by ronin » Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:59 pm

dontadow- I found it is easier to just have a player with a laptop run the "players" view on the projector. That way that person is in charge of scrolling the map and getting the zoom set right. Frees me up to do other things.

GravitysAngel
Soldier

Post by GravitysAngel » Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:43 pm

Just popping in to say that I have a dedicated gaming room, I have a projector on the way, I'll be running two copies of Battlegrounds on my laptop, and as soon as it's all set up, I can take some pictures.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:57 pm

Welcome, GravitysAngel.

That's great to hear. I've been wanting pics of a nice projector setup for quite some time.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Skeeve
Sergeant

Post by Skeeve » Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:42 am

Based upon our first session we have decided to forgoe the projectors/LCD for our face-to-face (F2F) group. The main reason so far has been cost. Luckily, most of us are in the IT field and most of us have a personal laptop we are going to use.

We have setup (2) 8' folding tables next to each other so it creates at 5'x8' table. Then we added a 6' table to the short end so we end up with about a 7' x 8' playing surface. The DM sits at the 6' table end and all the players sit around the table. Each "side" of the table has a laptop (at least one) to show Battlegrounds. This means that 3 laptops (besides the DM) are required, which for us is managable. Although we encourage anyone who wants to bring theirs to do so.

Our normal size is around 6 players but we are equiped for 8.

Skeeve
Hosting a F2F (face to face) D&D 4e game using BRPG 1.3c on Vista.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:08 am

Interesting setup. That's almost a LAN party. :)
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

cliff
Sergeant

Post by cliff » Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:14 am

GravitysAngel wrote:Just popping in to say that I have a dedicated gaming room, I have a projector on the way, I'll be running two copies of Battlegrounds on my laptop, and as soon as it's all set up, I can take some pictures.
It's worth noting that there have been cases where running two copies on one box has caused some issues. Not always, and Heruca has tackled a lot of 'em, but you might want to verify correct functionality before your session if you can.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:41 pm

cliff wrote:but you might want to verify correct functionality before your session if you can.
Testing *any* setup before an actual event is always a good idea. ;-)

cliff
Sergeant

Post by cliff » Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:22 pm

Truth is, I'm well known for stating the obvious - but I find that sometimes I personally need the obvious stated so sometimes it helps. heh.

GravitysAngel
Soldier

Post by GravitysAngel » Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:59 pm

cliff wrote:Truth is, I'm well known for stating the obvious - but I find that sometimes I personally need the obvious stated so sometimes it helps. heh.
I'm a software Quality Assurance department manager and database application developer. There will be testing.

GravitysAngel
Soldier

Projector Use

Post by GravitysAngel » Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:37 pm

Here is our gaming group in the game room, playing today's session. I run and play lots of things, but this particular one is D&D 3.5 set in Ptolus.

This is just so you know the setup.
Attachments
DSCF0718.JPG
Gaming room configuration
DSCF0718.JPG (200.94 KiB) Viewed 10626 times

GravitysAngel
Soldier

Projector Use

Post by GravitysAngel » Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:40 pm

Here is the projector I'm using, a Toshiba TDP-EW25, widescreen short throw.
Attachments
DSCF0722.jpg
DSCF0722.jpg (125.42 KiB) Viewed 10623 times

GravitysAngel
Soldier

Projector Use

Post by GravitysAngel » Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:42 pm

Here is the view from the GM position, with my laptop showing the GM client and the projector showing the player client, both running on the laptop. (The other laptop is for note-taking and possibly for future player control.)
Attachments
DSCF0719.jpg
DSCF0719.jpg (130.36 KiB) Viewed 10617 times

GravitysAngel
Soldier

Projector Use

Post by GravitysAngel » Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:45 pm

Not that it matters, but here's a close-up of the projector and the wall, showing the advantage of the short-throw image. If I moved it back another foot, it would fill the wall even behind the door.
Attachments
DSCF0725.jpg
DSCF0725.jpg (112.79 KiB) Viewed 10621 times

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:52 pm

Nice pics, GravitysAngel. Thank you for posting them.

Wish I had a dedicated gaming room like that, back when I was playing in live games regularly.

GravitysAngel
Soldier

Post by GravitysAngel » Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:31 am

Thanks! I have a few more close-ups of the laptop screen and projector image if you want those.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:47 am

What would be ideal would be a shot that shows the laptop screen and the projected image all in the same shot, but with Fog of War enabled, to highlight the fact that the GM can see stuff that the players can't. It would also help if we could see someone sitting at the laptop, but not blocking the view.

Maybe you could get something like that in a future session?

GravitysAngel
Soldier

Post by GravitysAngel » Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:22 pm

I'll try. I've been having lots of trouble getting manual+dynamic fog of war to work.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:59 pm

Are you using v1.2f?

Fortescue
Soldier

BRPG Offline

Post by Fortescue » Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:55 pm

I intend to pick-up my lincenses of BRPG this Friday (payday) and start playing locally over two netwroked computers. I have a projector but it's easier for me to give the players their own computer rather than setting up the projector. If you're interested I post pics as soon as I'm up and running.

GravitysAngel
Soldier

Post by GravitysAngel » Sat Sep 27, 2008 2:23 pm

heruca wrote:Are you using v1.2f?
I am.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Sep 27, 2008 3:19 pm

GravitysAngel, read the list of bug fixes in v1.2g, in the second post of this thread. Do they seem to address the problem/s you were having with FoW? If so, I suggest you update to v1.2g.

Fortescue
Soldier

My LAN Set-up

Post by Fortescue » Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:33 pm

After a 10 year break I decided to get back into gaming. After a little research, (and campaign development), I went with BRPG for my face-to-face sessions. That's when my wife pointed out that we should probably learn the new rules ourselves before we bring on more friends.

So at this point we each have a computer that we sit at. Once I have more players I'll connect my projector to the Player's machine, bring in a table, (no dedicated gaming area for me :cry: ), and project their screen so they don't have to cram around a little monitor (or sneak peaks at my screen)
Attachments
LAN Setup.jpg
LAN Setup.jpg (730.82 KiB) Viewed 10536 times

NaturaFictor
Cannon Fodder

Post by NaturaFictor » Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:47 pm

Odd I found this forum and program today, and this thread, because this is what I'm trying to see if Battlegrounds will do!

I have a group playing 4e D&D and I want to graduate from several methods of using our dry erase board as a battlemat. What I've been looking for is a program that will have the entire map on a laptop for what I the GM sees, to hook up to my 46 inch Aquos HDTV in the living room that players see. Unfortunately most programs won't work offline this way, with me revealing things gradually from fog of war to players on the TV. Can Battlegrounds do this? Will Battlegrounds output to 1080p for use on the TV?

I'd be more than willing to take pics if you can tell me how this works, because then I'll be more than happy to buy Battlegrounds and finally have a way to run a minis battlemat on the tv for my players!

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:14 pm

Welcome, NaturaFictor.

The answer to all those questions is "yes". :)

Try out the free Demo (I recommend v1.3d, even though it's still in beta) with your setup. It's pretty full-featured; enough for you to ascertain for yourself if it can do what you need.

NaturaFictor
Cannon Fodder

Post by NaturaFictor » Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:51 am

Thanksgiving weekend will be the first session where my group and I will be using Battlegrounds on the HDTV, so I'll have plenty of pictures to show then. Just bought the software and really look forward to creating the maps and make things ten times easier for a battlemat. Thanks for such a wonderful program!