Phoenix Command

Find or advertise games. Show us how you use BRPG and/or BGE!

Feel free to post screenshots!
Longhorn
Cannon Fodder

Phoenix Command

Post by Longhorn » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:34 pm

Hello,

Last night I was finally able to play Battlegrounds with someone remotely. I have implemented Phoenix Command and it runs much better when you can automate the table lookups in the game. I will keep working on it; if anyone wants to try it out let me know.

-Grant

heruca
Developer

Re: Phoenix Command

Post by heruca » Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:27 am

Hi Grant.

I think you will find that the "Sequential Tick" functionality of the Turn Sequencer can also help Phoenix Command games really fly. Let me know if you need help setting that up. It's been a while since I've messed with it, but I'll try. Look in the Turn Sequencer Setup Wizard for the sequential tick settings.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:43 am

This was posted in another thread, but it should give you an idea how the Turn Sequencer supports Phoenix Command:
Basically, the game clock starts at 0 or 1 and continually counts up until a combat ends. For example: On tick 1, you decide to draw your gun from a hip holster. This action takes 3 ticks to perform, so you get to act again on tick 4. So on tick 4, you decide to aim for 2 ticks, so you get to act again on tick 6. The action of firing the gun only takes 1 tick, so you act again on tick 7, etc.

Tick-based systems can be a chore in real-life games, but the Turn Sequencer in BRPG makes it pretty painless. You simply type into the sequencing field what tick you get to act on next.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Longhorn
Cannon Fodder

Post by Longhorn » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:12 pm

Thanks for the advice; I tried using the tick/sequencer system but it either ignored the value I keyed on or it kept doubling it: 1,2,4,8...
I chose 'turns which are subdivided into phases' and implemented twenty .1-second segments into 2-second turns.
It seemed to run too slow so I recreated it with four .5-second phases and every move is a double-action (a 2 AC action). The table is much simpler; I'll see how it goes.

-Grant