[WIP] - Dungeon Run

Find or advertise games. Show us how you use BRPG and/or BGE!

Feel free to post screenshots!
Tragic
Captain

Post by Tragic » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:10 am

nice try !!

I'm addicted to YouTube.. out of my channels you might like these 2
Adventure Game Reviews
Card and Board Games

Tragic
Captain

Post by Tragic » Fri May 25, 2012 2:19 pm

Hi I am back!!! Just got to get the install working on my new computer and I should get this finished soon!

Anyway.. chat soon!

Tragic
Captain

Post by Tragic » Sat May 26, 2012 8:22 am

You know how you have a Token and you can have different versions of it... and you can increment them with <,> ? Then you can set the Portrait to use the token or a custom portrait image?

Is it possible to make the Portrait image customised... and then increment at the same time I increment the token...

So is there a way that the <,> keys can not only increment the token, but also the portrait at the same time?

Example
http://screencast.com/t/PgRT2doR

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat May 26, 2012 11:01 am

Tragic wrote:is there a way that the <,> keys can not only increment the token, but also the portrait at the same time?
Sure, read the last paragraph on pg. 62 of the BGE User Manual.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Tragic
Captain

Post by Tragic » Sun May 27, 2012 12:19 am

What dose the "Secret Token" tick box do in a multi token component.. I searched the PDF but the word "secret" dose not seam to be in it?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun May 27, 2012 12:33 am

It lets the token-owner see the true token, while others see something else. A drawn card for example, would let you see the actual card, while others just see the back of the card.

See pg. 62 of the BGE User Manual (and pg. 121 describes how it pertains to cards).
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Tragic
Captain

Post by Tragic » Sun May 27, 2012 12:36 am

Awesome...

Also I seam to have a problem with the question about the token portraits.. the manual says

"Pressing a token-swapping hotkey while holding down the [SHIFT] and [CONTROL] keys will swap both the current token and the current portrait of a selected unit simultaneously"

but holding down ctrl+shift+> quits the program?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun May 27, 2012 12:44 am

Hmm, quite right. See this forum thread.

Tragic
Captain

Post by Tragic » Sun May 27, 2012 12:59 am

heruca wrote:Hmm, quite right. See this forum thread.
cool.. on a side not I like capslock as this is a feature I want to always have on when adjusting my tokens.. so once capslock is on I just use <,> as normal.. no need to hold down.

Tragic
Captain

Post by Tragic » Sun May 27, 2012 1:15 am

Tragic
Captain

Post by Tragic » Sun May 27, 2012 5:35 am

how can I select a component that has many tokens and edit the offsets and apply it to ALL tokens in the stack?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun May 27, 2012 11:21 am

You will have to set each one individually.

Tragic
Captain

Post by Tragic » Sun May 27, 2012 11:22 am

<sob>

Tragic
Captain

Post by Tragic » Sun May 27, 2012 12:26 pm

All my images are showing up as ? now.. how do I fix this?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun May 27, 2012 12:33 pm

Did you purge all your media? Did you try to get it to run on a fresh installation of BGE without first exporting your media to a bundle?

Tragic
Captain

Post by Tragic » Sun May 27, 2012 1:03 pm

the 2nd one...

Also can you increment a portrait without changing the token>?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun May 27, 2012 2:49 pm

Quoting 'Portrait' section of BGE User Manual wrote:You can easily and quickly change the current portrait by selecting the unit and pressing the [<] or [>] hotkeys while holding down the [SHIFT] key. These hotkeys allow you to cycle through all the available portraits. Note that the hotkeys will also work on a multi-unit selection, so that you can change the currently-displayed portrait on many units at once with a single keystroke.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun May 27, 2012 2:51 pm

Pg. 124-125 of the BGE User Manual describes how to get your media out of one BGE installation and into another.

Tragic
Captain

Finished

Post by Tragic » Sun May 27, 2012 11:31 pm

Well guys looks like I have finished my Dungeon Run plugin for Battlegrounds. I might do some slight GFX tweaks to colour, the player skill crads look a little mangy.. but in truth I wana play it a bit and see how it plays :)

Anyway... here is a screenshot.. of all the components on screen at once.. you can not see some of it due to the xtar portraits and token stacks (for monster wounds and stuff)

Anyway.. now what?

Like I need to make a GFX File deployment thing right?

On page 124-125 it covers exporting but I am unsure exactly how.. to get the export working i need to have every single GFX loaded right.. but when we play we only need certian files at a time.. like I thought I would only need to load a monster marker when a monster spwns.. not have them all loaded to teh screen and off the table for teh entire game..

Just a little confused on this point on how to pack and play with the data.

heruca
Developer

Re: Finished

Post by heruca » Mon May 28, 2012 1:31 am

Tragic wrote:On page 124-125 it covers exporting but I am unsure exactly how.. to get the export working i need to have every single GFX loaded right.. but when we play we only need certian files at a time.. like I thought I would only need to load a monster marker when a monster spwns.. not have them all loaded to teh screen and off the table for teh entire game..

Load your game file, which is presumably a basic game setup without optional/occasional game components. Do a "Save As...", so as not to interfere with you game file. Now import all of the optional components, then re-save. You are now ready to export the game media bundle. Do so.

Tomorrow I'll tell you how to dynamically link the resulting file so that it auto-loads on demand when loading your game file.

Tragic
Captain

Post by Tragic » Mon May 28, 2012 2:15 am

So I save as, with only the base components needed to do the game set up... using the "Save Game File" button, and then load up everything and then save using the button over my existing file I just saved last time?

Tragic
Captain

Post by Tragic » Thu May 31, 2012 1:21 am

Tragic wrote:So I save as, with only the base components needed to do the game set up... using the "Save Game File" button, and then load up everything and then save using the button over my existing file I just saved last time?
<bump>

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu May 31, 2012 1:41 am

:oops: Oops, sorry, meant to respond sooner and got sidetracked (you'll see why over the next few days). :wink:

Let me try to explain a slightly simpler procedure.

1. Copy your Game File to some safe place other than your "Game Files" directory.
2. Load your Game File in BGE.
3. Load ALL the deployment files you've created to load the additional game components onto the game table.
4. Save your Game File.
5. Select the "Export Game Media" command.

You now have all your game's media assets contained in that media bundle. All that remains is to create a link to the bundle in your original Game File (the one you saved elsewhere for safekeeping).

The Game File that you saved in Step 4 can be thrown away after the media bundle has been created.

Tragic
Captain

Post by Tragic » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:52 am

I still can not work this out..

Like I have a almost all my files for Dungeon Run in the components directory in a number of sub directories and a few more subdirs in portraits and 1 file in gameboards and a number of subdirs in deployments

Ok.. so I move all these files to a new tmp dir.. and now what?

Also what exactly are "minis" should the monster tokens be "minis"

heruca
Developer

Re: Finished

Post by heruca » Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:04 pm

I have no idea why you are doing what you are doing. That looks like a good course of action if you were trying to import all of your media, but theoretically you have already imported it all when you laid out your components, portraits, etc.
Tragic wrote:to get the export working i need to have every single GFX loaded right.. but when we play we only need certian files at a time.. like I thought I would only need to load a monster marker when a monster spwns.. not have them all loaded to teh screen and off the table for teh entire game..

Reading back over this, I get the impression that maybe you have not created Deployment files for the stuff that doesn't start on the game board and might or might not be used in any given game. So the first order of business would be to make those Deployment files.

Then just follow the instructions in my previous post.

I'll give you an example:
You are making a chinese checkers game. You don't know if there will be one player or six players, or anything in between, nor do you know which checker colors will be used. So your "Basic Setup" game file would really have only the board, with no checkers on it.

Then you would lay out all the red checkers in their proper start position and save them to a deployment file. Do the same for each color of checkers.

Now you are ready to export the game media.

1. Load up a copy of the "Basic Setup" file.
2. Load all 6 Deployment files (one for each color or checkers; now you have all your components loaded at once)
3. Save your game file
4. Export the media bundle

The result is a single media bundle containing ALL the game components, many of which won't be used in every single game session, but you still need the media to be available just in case.

Once the game is distributed, a host would load the "Basic Setup" game file, then load the appropriate number of Deployment files depending on how many people are playing and what color of checkers they wish to use.

Make sense?