Reverse Projection Setup

Find or advertise games. Show us how you use BRPG and/or BGE!

Feel free to post screenshots!
GreenMeany
Cannon Fodder

Post by GreenMeany » Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:16 pm

Per another thread, i managed to dig a few picks of my reverse projection prototype off my iphone. I'll take more on my setup over the weekend when i set it up again.
Attachments
photo.jpg
photo.jpg (87.22 KiB) Viewed 3450 times
photo2.jpg
photo2.jpg (91.41 KiB) Viewed 3445 times
photo1.jpg
photo1.jpg (92.68 KiB) Viewed 3438 times

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:06 am

Looks very nice ;-)
If I had any local players left then that would be definitely something to look into for some sort of wargame.

GreenMeany
Cannon Fodder

Post by GreenMeany » Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:26 pm

Thanks Omni, I use it to run my DnD 4.e Scales of War campaign. My players love it. They were quite disappointed when my hard drive crashed and we had to use battle mats again.. eeewwww.

But i'm going to start building some new flash based tokens just to give it a little extra flare.

eric292
Cannon Fodder

Post by eric292 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:21 pm

How do you build all the maps? Are they available from the DnD insider? Or do you build them from scratch using a mapping software?

I am so jealous...I don't even think I have the mental capacity to construct such an elaborate and amazing setup...I am truly green with envy!

GreenMeany
Cannon Fodder

Post by GreenMeany » Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:57 pm

Actually i havent gotten into building my own maps yet.

I usually either get a PDF or scan in my maps, sometimes hand drawn. then they are just images and you plop them right into the maps directory.

BRPG picks them up on the fly when you "change map".

Heruca has built a phenom tool here.

I have an idea. Anyone know how to convert an image to 3d? so you can use those funky glasses? I'll bet a reverse projection done in 3d would make for a really cool experience. But then again, it may just be my geek factor going into overload...

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:40 pm

GreenMeany wrote:I have an idea. Anyone know how to convert an image to 3d? so you can use those funky glasses? I'll bet a reverse projection done in 3d would make for a really cool experience. But then again, it may just be my geek factor going into overload...
You would have to have a 3D rendered map before you could display it in 3D, even on a 2D screen. Otherwise how would the converter know where to show depth? ;-)

If you really wanted 3D, I think it would look far better just to have a 3D render projected on to the table, so it looked like there was depth to the map under the table.

Creating maps in 3D is very difficult though (I know, I've tried). There also aren't really any good options for 3D mapping tools. Profantasy (creators of Campaign Cartographer) created a 3D mapping extension for CC called Perspectives Pro, but I wasn't very fond of it. My favorite so far is Google SketchUp, but it's very hard to add custom textures to it and keep them organized.
I may create my own 3D block mapping tool eventually, but that would be a long way away.