Storage of Character Information / Sheets - RQ

Find or advertise games. Show us how you use BRPG and/or BGE!

Feel free to post screenshots!
Beornvig
Sergeant

Storage of Character Information / Sheets - RQ

Post by Beornvig » Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:22 pm

Hello all,

I am a newbie to Battlegrounds, I have downloaded the demo and worked with it a bunch (very easy to work with and great functionality!), and am trying to figure out exactly what BG licenses and artwork to buy to get my group of friends up and running on Runequest again, like back in the day!

But one question I can't seem to figure a good solution to is the storage, update, and viewing of my group's character sheets. I obviously need sheets specific to RQ, but is there some storage solution out there you guys use? I don't need to worry about my people cheating or anything, I just want a way for us to share this info easily, and for them to update them easily.

Thanks in advance for any info, looking forward to getting started!

-Al

Omnidon
Site Admin

Re: Storage of Character Information / Sheets - RQ

Post by Omnidon » Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:29 pm

Beornvig wrote:But one question I can't seem to figure a good solution to is the storage, update, and viewing of my group's character sheets. I obviously need sheets specific to RQ, but is there some storage solution out there you guys use? I don't need to worry about my people cheating or anything, I just want a way for us to share this info easily, and for them to update them easily.
BRPG is currently lacking a dynamic character sheet feature. In addition, the unit manager is due for a major overhall and will eventually be table-based with unit attributes.

These features may make it into v1.x
If not, they will definitely be added to BRPG v2, which will start development soon.

In the mean time, you add text notes to each unit using Right click --> Edit Notes.
You can also configure the new table-based turn sequencer [T] to keep track of many different attributes such as health, gold, attack rating, etc.

For static graphical references such as charts and tables that do not need to be edited on the fly, you can use the Library [L] (for private reference) and the Visual Aids [V] (for sharing with players).

Some players also use external services and software to store and manage their character sheets. There are websites and third party applications available dedicated to character sheet creation and management.

Most system specific software is for D&D of course, such as http://theonlysheet.com/

While I intend to eventually create a flash-based character sheet tool that will (hopefully) integrate with BRPG, in the meantime I'm rather fond of Google Docs You can create a variety of docs such as spreedsheets, store them in your google account, and then share them with anyone. They can even be edited by multiple people at once.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:51 pm

Welcome, Beornvig.

Unfortunately, Battlegrounds doesn't have dynamic, interactive character sheets (although it's something I'd like to add). It can display fixed bitmaps, but that isn't ideal. Values that change constantly, like Hit Points and Initiative rolls, can be tracked in the Turn Sequencer. You can also track some info using custom text labels and with the Notes feature (which works a lot like a ToolTip popup).

Is there a character sheet app for Runequest?

Edit: Omnidon beat me to it.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Beornvig
Sergeant

Post by Beornvig » Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:06 pm

Google docs is an excellent idea! I think I will just format my own RQ character sheet using Excel and import it into the Google Spreadsheet format. This is actually really great, the collaboration features are excellent.

On an unrelated topic, this is my plan for licensing software(s), do you think these will meet my needs of building maps (old RQ adventures I am going to build) and running adventures for (4) players plus myself as GM?

BG products:
-(1) BG GM License
-(5) pack of floating BG client licenses (1 extra for me to login to and view my adventures as a player)
-(1) Component Dungeon Pack 1

3rd Party:
-Dundjinni Mapping Software ($40 version)
-Google Documents - Character Sheet Storage (free)

One question: will the Dundjinni "Reaper" tokens for characters work with BG? They don't have any you can see on their site.

Cheers,

-Al

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:38 pm

Yes, that list should meet your needs. I gather you intend to be logged in as a player during the game session. Good idea.

I'd advise against the Reaper tokens, however. They are pog-style tokens (albeit squarish in shape), and you wouldn't be able to use them in Battlegrounds. I think they may be intended more for the adventure-building portion of Dundjinni. If it's pogs you want, you can easily make your own with TokenTool or any free graphics app.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:14 pm

heruca wrote:They are pog-style tokens (albeit squarish in shape), and you wouldn't be able to use them in Battlegrounds.
I assume you mean they wouldn't work *well* with BRPG right? I don't understand why you "wouldn't be able to use them" *at all*.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:10 pm

Because I think they may be in DJ's proprietary ".djx" format, and thus usable only in DJ itself. But I've never bought that pack, so I could be wrong.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:31 pm

heruca wrote:Because I think they may be in DJ's proprietary ".djx" format, and thus usable only in DJ itself. But I've never bought that pack, so I could be wrong.
Hmm I see.

Beornvig
Sergeant

Post by Beornvig » Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:40 pm

Where do you guys get most of your character and monster tokens then? Do you get a bunch with BG?

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:07 pm

heruca posted a bunch of good sites in response to your previous post:
viewtopic.php?t=2093

BRPG comes with a wide variety of sample figures and objects, but probably not enough to run a full game. You can see them in the demo.