New Star Frontiers map of the Frontier.

Full Bleed
General

New Star Frontiers map of the Frontier.

Post by Full Bleed » Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:26 am

I know the two other people on the planet that still occasionally play Star Frontiers are out there somewhere... Maybe this will be of some interest. :)

The way I was thinking this could be used in BRPG would be to crop out pieces of the Frontier that players would be using. Make the piece a locked free-floating object and place it in a corner. You could then use small ship icons that were also free-floating over the map.

On the battlemap itself you would have all the local action (like surface encounters, on-ship encounters, or ship-to-ship combat encounters.) The Frontier map ends up being a kind of heads-up-display that provides a more global location indicator.

This method works for any overland map actually... but this is how I planned on using it.

High resolution versions (with and without a grid) can be found here: http://rpgmapshare.com/index.php?q=gallery&g2_itemId=66
Last edited by Full Bleed on Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:29 am

Awesome star charts. Did you make those?
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Full Bleed
General

Post by Full Bleed » Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:45 am

heruca wrote:Awesome star charts. Did you make those?
Yeah, it's all custom. It's inspired by the map in Zebulon's Guide to Frontier Space Volume 1, but that was printed back in 1985, so I figured I could evolve things a bit.

Here is the inspiration map: http://www.f4fbbs.com/StarFrontiers/rul ... bMap_L.jpg

I used some of the icon formats so it would be somewhat familiar to people, but I added a lot more information and really "updated" the look and feel of it.

Can't wait to see what some kid does with my map 22 years from now. ;)

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:03 pm

What an improvement over the original!

In 22 years, some kid will make a nice 3-D holographic projection...from his cellphone. :lol:
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Full Bleed
General

Post by Full Bleed » Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:16 am

My map was featured in the leading Star Frontiers Webzine (Star Frontiersman : Issue #6) and I put in a mention of Battlegrounds as I talked about VTT's leading me to make the map in the first place.

BRPG's ability to really put that map (or other "over-land" type maps) to use in-game is somewhat compromised by not being able to have more than one map open at once, but as mentioned above, there are some work-arounds that can be done by way using pieces of the map as floating objects (creating a heads-up-display type of feel.)

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:34 am

Congrats on getting it published! And thanks for the mention of Battlegrounds. Too bad there was no URL provided.

I hope you do the follow-up article on VTTs that you alluded to.

BTW, I too would like a way to quickly swap from one map to another. But I fear that even if I add tabbed views, the loading of each map back into RAM may not be much faster than loading a different Encounter. Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Kepli
High Commander

Post by Kepli » Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:30 am

Congrats on getting published :D
Did I see this awesome map somewhere else posted too?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:08 am

Probably on rpgmapshare.com.

Full Bleed
General

Post by Full Bleed » Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:47 am

Heh, I don't really consider a webzine "being published", but I was glad to contribute. Free projects like that rely on the community to keep them alive, and so far, the Star Frontiersman magazine is not only a very well done webzine, it's growing a little bit each month.

Not bad for a "dead" game.