Mountain Stronghold

Mythweaver
Cannon Fodder

Mountain Stronghold

Post by Mythweaver » Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:24 pm

I had a situation last week where I needed to create as much illusion of depth as possible, so I played around with Vue for the first time. I thought I'd share what I came up with here.

The first link is the map that I used, while the second link is a smaller version including the "room objects." I just sideboard or hide the rooms that players wouldn't ordinarily see until they actually enter that room. The technique works wonderfully, and I've used it every week in some way or another.

http://www.box.net/public/vhbcyfvcn3
http://www.box.net/public/5l6shfysri

In order to simulate depth, I had to forfeit a bit of scale (the lower bridge is supposed to be the same size as the upper bridges, but appears smaller). This actually didn't detract much at all, however, from the actual gameplay.

This experiment actually got me thinking of a new feature that would blow my mind, but I'm not sure if it's even possible (I am a db developer, not a multimedia programmer).

Imagine having an elevation slider menu, where different cells had an elevation value. Depending on the elevation value, figures and other objects would proportionately resize automatically based on the cell they currently were found in...like I said, I know it's crazy, but, man, would that be cool.

Thanks again for your contributions to our gaming!

greytale
General

Post by greytale » Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:04 am

I love the depth feel of the maps and the concept for a depth scale is brilliant.

I was messing around with a map of castle battlements a few weeks back and found myself wanting to scale the objects to show depth. Feasible
who knows? but definately a cool idea. 8)

heruca
Developer

Re: Mountain Stronghold

Post by heruca » Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:08 am

Mythweaver wrote:This experiment actually got me thinking of a new feature that would blow my mind, but I'm not sure if it's even possible (I am a db developer, not a multimedia programmer).

Imagine having an elevation slider menu, where different cells had an elevation value. Depending on the elevation value, figures and other objects would proportionately resize automatically based on the cell they currently were found in...like I said, I know it's crazy, but, man, would that be cool.!
Interesting. I already had something planned for an elevation selection slider, so that you could assign objects to certain elevation layers and BRPG would automatically show only objects at the selected level or lower. So if you're showing the ground floor, for example, the 2nd-story balcony would automatically disappear or get shown semi-transparent. But I hadn't even considered resizing of objects. Perhaps it would simply be a matter of rendering each layer as a slightly different zoom level. I'll have to think about it. There's even the possibility that I could throw background levels out of focus. 8)
Last edited by heruca on Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Kepli
High Commander

Post by Kepli » Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:25 am

Nice use of Vue :D

I like the idea of separate layers for different heights.

Venger
General

Post by Venger » Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:20 pm

I REALLY like what you did for the feeling of depth. Its inspiring for I have need of that kind of techniques for my games.

well done

Mythweaver
Cannon Fodder

Post by Mythweaver » Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:53 pm

Thanks for the kind words all.

I'm really excited about the wealth of possibilities BG can offer.

Thanks again, Heruca, and I hope things are going well for the program (especially financially), because I'd love to see it mature into an end-all solution (and I don't even use it for online gaming).

P.S. As soon as I can find the time (between session planning), I *promise* I'll post some in-use pics.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:24 pm

I'm glad it's working out for you, Mythweaver.

I hope BRPG is around long enough to achieve its potential. Sadly, it isn't even close to being financially successful, and I often wonder how long I can keep it up.

I look forward to seeing your in-use pics.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.