Men-at-Arms token set

Share your favorite RPG-related and wargame-related links with the Battlegrounds community
heruca
Developer

Men-at-Arms token set

Post by heruca » Mon Aug 27, 2007 2:18 pm

This looks pretty darn useful for any medieval or fantasy game.

http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php? ... 29614&it=1

Be sure to also check out the other token sets if you haven't already:
http://www.rpgnow.com/index.php?cPath=3919
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

heruca
Developer

Review

Post by heruca » Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:15 pm

I just purchased this pack and I can heartily recommend it. I've been wanting something like this for a long time, to populate my castles and depict mass combats. And the price is just right.

I have a couple of minor criticisms, though:
1. Most of the prone figures have (overly) bright red blood splotches on them. I'd prefer them without the blood at all. There are very few tokens in this set suitable for showing a character who was simply fallen down, been knocked down, or knocked out.

2. The knight in platemail ("White Knight") could really use some color. Except for his hands, the figure is entirely in greyscale. I'll be modding it myself, but I wish I didn't have to bother.

Overall, I'd rate this pack a 9 out of 10. I really like the crisp style, level of detail, and the variety of poses, plus the fact that portrait art (in two sizes) is included.

I hope a similar pack comes out that has captains, commanders, standard bearers, engineers, etc.

Archers, crossbowmen, pikemen, spearmen and armed serfs would also make for a great companion set.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Torq
Captain

Post by Torq » Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:40 pm

I also just purchased it and I can recommend it too. Possibly a little too small for optimum use in BG, but who zooms in that close anyway? There only seem to be two other sets by the same publisher, modern and undead. Heruca, do you know of any more?

Torq
The internet, it'll never catch on.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:50 pm

Sure, there are lots of freebie token sets on the artist's site, covering WWII, modern, and fantasy.
http://www.wyldfurr.com

Specifically, here:
http://www.wyldfurr.com/download.php?list.2
(make sure you set it to show 20 sets to a page, to see them all, otherwise you might miss some)

There's even a nice free map with a road and trees on either side.

But I disagree about the token sizing. I think the 3:1 scale tokens are an ideal size for BRPG.

Steel Rat
General

Post by Steel Rat » Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:05 pm

You guys didn't leave reviews on RPGNow?? For shame!

Actually the vendor could have put a little more effort into this. all the males are the same character. He could have done some turning of the morph dials to make them at least a little different. The poses in the few samples on the RPGNow ad are not great, don't look very natural (the sword-thrusting top-down one mainly.). And the portrait pose is an out of the box pose for the Michael 3 Poser character. A little imagination would have made the pack even better, I think.

I'll have to see if I can make one of my own there. I think I can do better.
Steel Rat
Infinite Ordnance: Military RPG supplements
RPGMapShare.com - Free map and mapping object repository.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:20 pm

True, the center of gravity is all wrong on the thrusting swordsman in the preview pic. Unless maybe he isn't thrusting at all, but rather calling for a charge, or challenging someone with the sword.

I've always thought you should put some figure token packs together, Steel Rat. I hope you decide to. I'd be happy to help with the Photoshop retouching of the raw renders.

Steel Rat
General

Post by Steel Rat » Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:28 pm

Lol, I still don't think they really need re-touching. It's all going to be in the eye of the beholder what's best for them. As we've seen in various forums, some people want the drop shadow, some don't, some people want bases, some don't, some want shadowy renders, some don't, some like them dark, some like them bright....

As for the swordsman, I was more looking at the shoulder and arm joints, it doesn't look natural on the thrusting arm. And if you look close at the other swordsman top-down, the sword isn't even in his hand. these are the kinds of attention to detail lacking.

Also, most of the tokens are pretty small, so if you wanted to use one for a giant or some other scale, they'd look pretty bad. As with most of the stuff I render, I'd rather go large so they are more usable. Scaling down is easy.

I like the idea of the scale helpers, though, but I usually just do it by eye when I put the token on the map.
Steel Rat

tailz
Sergeant

Post by tailz » Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:06 pm

Hello, thought I might pop in and say hello.
Steel Rat wrote:You guys didn't leave reviews on RPGNow?? For shame!
Heh! :lol:
Actually the vendor could have put a little more effort into this. all the males are the same character. He could have done some turning of the morph dials to make them at least a little different. The poses in the few samples on the RPGNow ad are not great, don't look very natural (the sword-thrusting top-down one mainly.). And the portrait pose is an out of the box pose for the Michael 3 Poser character. A little imagination would have made the pack even better, I think.
Oh I agree I could put a lot more work into the tokens, and I plan too. But the problem is simply: time, and my lack of it. Since this is essentially my hobby, it has to take second place to the things I do to pay the rent, especially when those projects demand a priority on my time. Time concerns are also the reason why I use a lot of "ready made" out of the box products like Michael 3 and other products from DAZ or Renderosity. The less time I have to spend building a 3D model in Lightwave or 3D Studio, the less time I have to waist working on poses - the more rendering time I can get in, the more tokens I can make.

I have to admit I never really thought of the Avatar face renders as an important thing, I have seen a lot of people use cropped photos of characters from comics or TV shows for Avatars. So I thought people would use the tokens for the maps, but still use photos from elsewhere for their Avatar images. I was thinking that maybe some time in the future I could do a package consisting only of different faces with each face rendered showing a different expression. Doing that for the token sets (when I felt the tokens were the important factor) would just add a lot more time consumption.
As for the swordsman, I was more looking at the shoulder and arm joints, it doesn't look natural on the thrusting arm. And if you look close at the other swordsman top-down, the sword isn't even in his hand. these are the kinds of attention to detail lacking.
The most prominent problem is that we look at each other from the horizontal, not the vertical. When I first tried making tokens I discarded a lot of poses simply because they look totally weird to a vertical viewer. Swords and guns are the most annoying from a top down view because you don't have the weapon in profile to see what it is. Thus when I remember I try to adjust poses so the gun is a little on its side to get some of the profile, or I try to have the flat of the blade turned up to get it in profile. Might look a little odd, but at least you can make out what the object is.
Also, most of the tokens are pretty small, so if you wanted to use one for a giant or some other scale, they'd look pretty bad. As with most of the stuff I render, I'd rather go large so they are more usable. Scaling down is easy.
My aim was to have a set of tokens all at the same scale, so that once you have your scale set you can just drag in new tokens without having to re-scale each one in turn. Obviously I have not made any 3:1 scale Giant tokens yet....

Anyway, I have to run, have to edit some magazine advertising material...

Steel Rat
General

Post by Steel Rat » Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:22 pm

tailz wrote:Hello, thought I might pop in and say hello.
Oh I agree I could put a lot more work into the tokens, and I plan too. But the problem is simply: time, and my lack of it. Since this is essentially my hobby, it has to take second place to the things I do to pay the rent, especially when those projects demand a priority on my time. Time concerns are also the reason why I use a lot of "ready made" out of the box products like Michael 3 and other products from DAZ or Renderosity. The less time I have to spend building a 3D model in Lightwave or 3D Studio, the less time I have to waist working on poses - the more rendering time I can get in, the more tokens I can make.
Oh, I didn't mean making your own 3d models, that's just way too much work for some tokens. I meant changing the faces, body styles, skin textures etc, by changing morph dials and applying different textures.

I understand about time, I make tons of these renders too. ;)
The most prominent problem is that we look at each other from the horizontal, not the vertical. When I first tried making tokens I discarded a lot of poses simply because they look totally weird to a vertical viewer. Swords and guns are the most annoying from a top down view because you don't have the weapon in profile to see what it is. Thus when I remember I try to adjust poses so the gun is a little on its side to get some of the profile, or I try to have the flat of the blade turned up to get it in profile. Might look a little odd, but at least you can make out what the object is.
Not sure what that has to do with the sword hilt not actually in the character's hand. So far I haven't had any complatins about being able to tell if a sword is a sword, or a gun is a gun. So you might be worrying about a non-issue. Of course, just rotating the sword without moving it in space would change the viewing angle without moving it out of the hand. Just a thought.
My aim was to have a set of tokens all at the same scale, so that once you have your scale set you can just drag in new tokens without having to re-scale each one in turn. Obviously I have not made any 3:1 scale Giant tokens yet....
Which is an admirable goal. Usually when I try to do that someone inevitably asks for a different size, lol.
Steel Rat