No votes
other
26%

Total votes: 19

nilesenator
Cannon Fodder

New GM seeking players.

Post by nilesenator » Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:52 pm

Hi! I have GM'd games for my friends and family. I am currently trying to find a good free game system. If you are interested in playing, please post which free game system you would like to play.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:09 am

I prefer diceless Freestyle, where the GM creates a custom setting for each game, without the burden and restrictions of rulebooks.

It allows the GM to weave a much more detailed atmosphere, but requires more roleplaying skill than what is found in most players.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:46 pm

Welcome to the forums, Nilesenator. And good luck getting a game going.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

MarkSimms
General

hello

Post by MarkSimms » Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:57 am

hello nilesenator , did you say free game system, where can I get such a thing Im just learning D&D etc...?

I would love to get a game! do you have a floating licence, so I can try out battlegrounds?

anyway thanks Mark

greytale
General

Re: hello

Post by greytale » Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:04 am

Marksimms wrote:hello nilesenator , did you say free game system, where can I get such a thing Im just learning D&D etc...?

I would love to get a game! do you have a floating licence, so I can try out battlegrounds?

anyway thanks Mark

I posted some here Marksimms. Enjoy

http://battlegroundsgames.com/forums/vi ... 0195#10195

MarkSimms
General

thankyou

Post by MarkSimms » Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:55 am

Thankyou both! thats a great set of free systems I can learn, I realy like Legends and find I can play soon with it as its simple enough for a newbie thankyou thankyou thankyou thankyou heruca and greytale

Steel Rat
General

Post by Steel Rat » Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:42 pm

Omnidon wrote:I prefer diceless Freestyle, where the GM creates a custom setting for each game, without the burden and restrictions of rulebooks.

It allows the GM to weave a much more detailed atmosphere, but requires more roleplaying skill than what is found in most players.
I never understood such a thing. Why would rulebooks, which only provide logical limits in the physical realm, prevent a GM from creating as detailed an atmosphere as he/she wanted?
Steel Rat
Infinite Ordnance: Military RPG supplements
RPGMapShare.com - Free map and mapping object repository.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:57 pm

There are certainly advantages to using detailed rulesets. Among other things, they make it easier to play with a large group and easier for players to learn the system without the GM present. They also can save a lot of time if everyone has already learned the system during past games.

However, the disadvantages, for me, outweigh those advantages. Here are a few of what I perceive as disadvantages to using premade rulesets:
  1. Players who are familiar with the ruleset from other games will often become uncomfortable if the GM tries to tweak the system. It is easier to have the players adjust to something completely new than it is to break their old habits.
  2. Similarly, you are at the mercy of the ruleset creator. You have to either tolerate their updates (or lack there-of) or run the risk of becoming obsolete in the community.
  3. Using the premade setting that usually accompanies a ruleset limits the GM's flexibility since he will have to step very carefully not to contradict something that has already been established. Also, making a setting, just like crafting your own PCs, is a lot of fun and demonstrates creativity.
  4. Bringing new ideas to the table for each game keeps things fresh, mysterious, and unexpected. Fantasy is all about the unknown. It ruins the mystique if the players already know much more about the world than their characters. Also, it encourages power-gaming (even if only subconsciously) since every system has its loopholes.