GURPS grand arena event

fb66
General

GURPS grand arena event

Post by fb66 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:20 am

Hi guys

I am planning on running a series of one on one tournament duels using the GURPS 4th rdition tactical combat rules on the 22nd of august (times to be confirmed). My intention is to run two types of game, a beginners game using just the rules from the gurps basic set and a veterans game using all the additonal rules found in martial arts.
Those wishing to take part will need a demo version of battlegrounds rpg edition and working knowlege of the appropriate rules set (IE just basic or basic plus martial arts). You will be able to create your own charactor and I will pair off players in a knock out style tournament. If i get enough interest I post detailed Char gen rules and a list of optional rules in use.

The characters who take part in this will be built using the GURPS 4th edition rules with a budget of 150cp with NO disadvantages (as most would just be free points in this context). The TL is 3 and each player will have 1000 gurps dollars to equip their character with.

if you are interested reply on this thread

Players registered:-
Ursus
dunadin

If this event is sucessful i might run more such events or even create a duelling league.
Last edited by fb66 on Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:20 pm, edited 4 times in total.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:58 pm

I was just thinking this morning about how arena combats make a great platform for demo games to show off BRPG to GURPS players. I'd like to support your initiative.

If you can get people to "pre-register" for this event, I can grant them complimentary licenses for the day so that they can play using the free Demo and you won't need to provide Floating Licenses or require that they have their own licenses.

Are you planning on using VOIP?
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

fb66
General

Post by fb66 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:20 pm

heruca wrote:I was just thinking this morning about how arena combats make a great platform for demo games to show off BRPG to GURPS players. I'd like to support your initiative.

If you can get people to "pre-register" for this event, I can grant them complimentary licenses for the day so that they can play using the free Demo and you won't need to provide Floating Licenses or require that they have their own licenses.

Are you planning on using VOIP?
I have two floating liscences already so the two duelists will be able to take part with out problems how ever anyone wanting watch will have issues lol.

VOIP is an issue as i have no hardware for that (IE No microphone etc) as my young son has managed to break several sets lol so i kinda gave up buying them lol. I guess i could get a head set for the event. If so which VOIP system do you recomend.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:35 pm

fb66 wrote:which VOIP system do you recomend.
I like Ventrilo due to its push-to-talk feature, but Skype is friendlier and easier to set up, especially for newbies. I'm not sure what the current maximum number of users is on Skype these days. 5? 8?
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

fb66
General

Post by fb66 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:55 pm

i have placed threads on four ugly monsters (in the gurps section) and on the sjg forums to drum up players with a link to this thread for registration.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:17 pm

Excellent. If 20 or more people participate and you organize this event to be a tournament, I'll offer a prize (TBD) to the winner.

ursus
General

Post by ursus » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:08 pm

You can consider me a definite maybe. I'm really interested but can't say yes for certain at this point because that date is right around my sister's 40th birthday.

rrvistas
General

Post by rrvistas » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:57 am

Count me in!

But I have a few questions...

1.) When does it start ?
2.) What are the rules of engagement? First/Second Blood, Knockdown, Death?

fb66
General

Post by fb66 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:15 pm

rrvistas wrote:Count me in!

But I have a few questions...

1.) When does it start ?
2.) What are the rules of engagement? First/Second Blood, Knockdown, Death?
1.) depends on numbers involved please watch this space
2.)till one fighter is incapacitated or yields or dies.

dunadin777
Soldier

Post by dunadin777 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:43 am

I'd be interested in playing as part of the basic game. I'm in Central Standard Time(GMT-5, if I recall correctly), but my schedule is pretty flexible right now, so I'll very likely be available for just about any time we can agree upon. Are we going to be making pre-made characters or are we making our own?

fb66
General

Post by fb66 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:01 pm

dunadin777 wrote:I'd be interested in playing as part of the basic game. I'm in Central Standard Time(GMT-5, if I recall correctly), but my schedule is pretty flexible right now, so I'll very likely be available for just about any time we can agree upon. Are we going to be making pre-made characters or are we making our own?
i will allow you to make your own chars. i will post the guidelines very soon

fb66
General

Post by fb66 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:43 am

To give Heruca more time for testing of the next version of BG the events date has been changed to september 12th.

fb66
General

Post by fb66 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:41 pm

BUMP lol

plenty of space left :)

fb66
General

Post by fb66 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:13 pm

i have downloaded installed and hopefully got working (just need to check my port forwarding) a VENTRILO server for use with the game.

rrvistas
General

Post by rrvistas » Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:38 am

Sorry, I can't attend on the 12th.
I get a visit from my family, so no time to play.

fb66
General

Post by fb66 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:12 pm

rrvistas wrote:Sorry, I can't attend on the 12th.
I get a visit from my family, so no time to play.
Family comes first :)

ursus
General

Post by ursus » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:20 pm

I can't make it either. My wife used to work weekends, so it wasn't a problem. Now, she is only working Saturdays, which means I'll be going to church with her on Sunday mornings. If you could schedule it on a Saturday, I'd be up for it. The only Saturday I wouldn't be able to make it in September is the 18th.

fb66
General

Post by fb66 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:18 pm

Ok guys due to lack of interest this event is now postponed. I will relist a new date when I get my updated work schedule.