New guy looking for a group.

Ogaburan
Cannon Fodder

New guy looking for a group.

Post by Ogaburan » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:50 am

Hi,

Well... im looking for a nice gaming group.

I don't currently own the battlegrounds VT system, but im more then curious about it. I was researching for a nice VT system and it seems i had found it.

I want to try and find a group before i actually buy it, since its the most important thing really...

Well I'll start with some info about myself, i know most gaming groups (i would be interested in) are "afraid" to accept new "members" due to all the misfits out there. I hope i don't sound like a snob saying that, its just how i see it.

I'm in my mid 20's, not so dim and i do have a gf lol.
People say i am quite funny and nice, to my face, i can only imagine what they whisper behind my back tho...
What im trying to imply is that im not a "misfit" and usually do get along with people.
Im based in Europe now (+2 GMT) but im used to playing with North Americans on MMORGS and the time difference shouldn't be a problem.
I have too much free time anyway...
A major flaw i have is that i cant spell, i know 3 languages to perfection and can hold my own on 2 more... but my spelling is abysmal in all of them... when i was younger i was offered to go and get a note from a doctor for some sort of *disleksia.
...so if you are a spelling Nazi we probably wont get along, as i am unwilling and somewhat incapable of learning. I don't mind the occasional pond on how i misspelled something, as long as it is funny...

My pen-paper-gaming experience is quite limited, when i was a teen we had a gaming group. Our DM died in a war and no one could really fill his shoes... then i moved to another country and the gaming group more or less disbanded.

We used to play only AD&D 3.5, but i read a few other games core rules pdf's just for the fun of it...

I played quite a few MMORG's mostly role-playing servers on NVW 1 & 2.
I also own a few board/card games and enjoy those.

Now... what im looking for...
I would like to join an already established gaming group... or at least a DM/GM who really knows what he is doing.

As for a specific game... i really enjoy a more medieval low-lvl setting, where even the simplest fight can put me in mortal danger.
THO...
Im quite open to try anything, as long as the group is fun i can adapt to almost anything. I haven't named any actual game because i didn't play anything other then D&D and im not the type to exclude anything without trying it. There is nothing a few hours and a pdf cant change anyway...
What im trying to say is, even if i do prefer a medieval setting i wont be shun by a modern/post-apocalyptic/futuristic settings.
What i wont even consider is a "Zombie" game... since i find those severely lacking in imagination... yet another zombie apocalypse... yey... :(

I have no experience what so ever with VT, but one must start somewhere.

I would prefer a group that uses a VOIP program (Mumble, Ventrillo ect...) Rather then Skype/MSN simply for the push to talk option, you guys don't need to hear my gf yelling at me to go to sleep anyway...

If anyone is interested in an inexperienced yet willing to learn player.
I can be contacted at ran.c.miller@gmail.com

*How do you spell sarcasm?

heruca
Developer

Re: New guy looking for a group.

Post by heruca » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:19 am

-- Merged from the duplicate thread by Omni --

Welcome, Ogaburan.
Ogaburan wrote:As for a specific game... i really enjoy a more medieval low-lvl setting, where even the simplest fight can put me in mortal danger.
GURPS might be worth a try, then. :wink:

Good luck finding a game.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

dunadin777
Soldier

Post by dunadin777 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:08 pm

As Heruca suggested in the other thread, it sounds like GURPS might be the system for you. It's a skill-based system(ie no D&D levels or classes), and even a character built on 0 points can be a mortal threat to a 150 point character. In one of my campaign's opening sessions, a master of staff-fighting was taken out with the first blow to actually hit him--a back stab from a spear-armed bandit while he was fighting two at a time.

I'm not currently running any BGG campaigns right now, but all my games are based on GURPS, as I vastly prefer gritty, dangerous games that give non-combat characters plenty of interesting things to do.

My in-person campaign right now is a medieval fantasy setting, based on Myth if you're familiar with it. If I do start running a BGG game, I'd probably either do an Old West game, an alien-invasion-in-a-modern-city game with military characters and a strategic slant, or a short-run Myth campaign.

Anyways, no specific options right now, but some things for you to consider while looking for a game. Of course, I'll let you know if I start up one of the campaigns I mentioned above.

Ogaburan
Cannon Fodder

Post by Ogaburan » Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:49 pm

Well, what i meant is that im looking for a group of players rather then a game-set. Basically i don't have anyone to play with... and that just sounds funny but you get my drift. New at VT, looking for people to play with.

Since i posted i got in touch with one of my old gaming buddies and he seems interested as well, so it might be 2 in 1 deal here lol.

GURPS sounds interesting and i will start checking it up.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Mon May 02, 2011 12:22 pm

Howdy. What are the other 4 languages that you speak btw? ;-)

Ogaburan
Cannon Fodder

Post by Ogaburan » Mon May 02, 2011 6:35 pm

Omnidon wrote:Howdy. What are the other 4 languages that you speak btw? ;-)
Well, honestly im somewhat disappointed that this is the only question i get so far... needless to say no one approached me with anything :(

I did try to leave the post vague... so i find the question abit odd.
The languages are:
Hebrew
English
Romanian
and the two extra are:
Russian
Arabic
(Which im quite bad at)

fb66
General

Post by fb66 » Thu May 05, 2011 6:13 pm

I am currently running a GURPS old west campaign that had players drop out but i have refilled their places. That said i wont mind running a one of game or two for you to get the feel of battlegrounds and VTT gaming in general.
The first game i would propose is a GURPS combat demo in a gladiatorial arena.
The second game owuld be a one off fantasy sample game i have run before.
After that if you
A like GURPS
B like my gm style
C would be able to buy a liscenced BG game (all my floating liscences are taken)

i would then offer a spot in my old west game.

Brian

P.S. my spelling is rubbish too lol

fb66
General

Post by fb66 » Thu May 05, 2011 6:17 pm

If you are interested you can have a read of my campaign log

http://battlegroundsgames.com/forums/vi ... 1231#21231

Ogaburan
Cannon Fodder

Post by Ogaburan » Fri May 06, 2011 4:58 am

Well spelling is a gift, and you either have it or you dont.
As some one else poster in your game log lol.

I pmed you if you didn't notice.
Thanks for the offer, hope to pass the trial in the arena lol.

fb66
General

Post by fb66 » Fri May 06, 2011 3:49 pm

Ogaburan wrote:Well spelling is a gift, and you either have it or you dont.
As some one else poster in your game log lol.

I pmed you if you didn't notice.
Thanks for the offer, hope to pass the trial in the arena lol.
i am away from home at the moment and subject to the vagarities of the mobile phone internet system. I have replied to your pm :)

there is no passing the arena etc lol it is just a chance for you to get to grips with the VTT and GURPS before being thrown into a campaign setting.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Fri May 06, 2011 8:02 pm

Ogaburan wrote:
Omnidon wrote:Howdy. What are the other 4 languages that you speak btw? ;-)
Well, honestly im somewhat disappointed that this is the only question i get so far... needless to say no one approached me with anything :(
I'd have offered for you to join by group, but I've been too busy lately to play much and I'm hoping to finish coding some gaming tools before starting up again.
Ogaburan wrote:I did try to leave the post vague... so i find the question abit odd.
Odd to ask what languages you know when you mention that you speak 5 languages passably? That's a pretty impressive feat by any standard. I only know english and a bit of spanish.
Wasn't trying to pry or anything. Just trying to make you feel like part of the community.